Topic Author

Alpine Aviation

Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:28 pm

Anyone know anything about this carrier? They operate a late night flight with Beech 1900 equipment between LZU and MSY. I assume it is a courier/light cargo operator of some sort. Where are they based and where else do they fly?

Thanks for the help!

Steve in New Orleans

RE: Alpine Aviation

Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:35 pm

There is an Alpine Aviation basaed out of Provo UT. I'm not sure this is the one you are referring to, but they are largely an aircargo operator & have very large contracts with the USPS. In the late 80's and early 90's they operated as a passenger carrier under the code 5A.

[Edited 2003-10-28 06:38:53]

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:01 am

They are also a PFT (Pay for training) outfit, where they charge you to work for them. I think they have a website somewhere. Do a google search.

I used to fly out of Provo. I saw a lot of parked Beech 1900s, but not a lot of action. Nice new hangar though--they tore down the hangar that I used to work in to build it. Provo is mainly a maintenance base anyway.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:51 am

Alpine's website is:

They've got 99's and 1900's. I'm not clear on their PFT program. Back when I went to work for them, they had two tiers of program:

PFT for very low time pilots who flew SIC (typically non-US nationals who needed a couple-three hundred hours of turbine time)

Non-PFT and direct to left seat (well, not entirely true, I flew for about 6 weeks in the right seat) of the 99's. They didn't have the 1900's then, although they were looking at them and actively talking about it -- they probably came in about 12 months after I left.

The upside of Alpine is that it is run by good, fair, and very ethical people. If I were going to return to flying as a career, I'd have no hesititation in going back. There are a number of people who've been there a long time.

And flying a 99 through a Montana winter solo will build character, experience, and respect for big hunks of granite.  Smile