lamyl_hhlco

Navigation Over The Ocean

Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:05 pm

I was just wondering for a pilot flying an old 747-2 or a DC10 that is not equiped with FMC/ FMS or GPS to easy a straight flight Navigation, how is the Navigation made over the ocean or how did they do during the 70's and 60's?
Is there any NAVAID or specific equipment?

Lam

air2gxs

RE: Navigation Over The Ocean

Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:16 pm

In the early 60's (a little before my time) they proabbly used an Omega system. This is best explained as a land based GPS. Several transmitting stations around the world transmitted a signal in the Low Frequency or Very Low Frequency range (can't remember which). The receiver would receive these signals and triangulate position.

In the late 60's to the present aircraft use INS (Inertial Navigation System) or IRS (Inertial Reference System). This is a independent system that measures the movement of the aircraft in order to update its position. All you have to do is tell it where its starting from.

lamyl_hhlco

Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:42 pm

great ,thanx for your answer buddy

Cessna172RG

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:05 pm

This "Omega" system...would that not be Loran? Like, Loran A or B? I don't think Loran C was out at that time, as my father, a charter boat operator in the early 70s, started using Loran A at that time, and 10 years ago he bought his last Loran C equipment. Now he navigates by GPS, it's really neat around Cape Flattery and going between Tatoosh island and the mainland, aka "the slot." Just like IFR flying. Can't see a thing but you know that there are a bunch of rocks around you. Sorry, got off the forum topic...not aviation related, but navigation nonetheless.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

air2gxs

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:08 pm

Omega and Loran are similar, but I think Loran's range was limited. The last time I even thougth about Omega was in 92 or 93 when we were changing over to INS on our DC-8s.

timz

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:06 am

Omega and Loran may be similar, but I think Omega was a pretty much worldwide system while Loran was more regional. Don't think Omega existed in the early 60s.

AAR90

Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:07 am

Early 60's Pan Am 707s started service using celestial navigation, doppler and later Loran. Introduction of B747 brought with it the triple-INS. Early 80's saw the advent of Omega followed closely (almost simultaneously) by FMS/IRS and finally GPS in the 90's.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos