Cessna172RG
Topic Author

New Lockheed Jetliner?

Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:22 pm

If this topic has come up before and you can link me to a thread, just let me know...

Is Lockheed/Martin going to go back into the commercial aviation business or are they out of the picture for good? I wouldn't mind seeing a new Lockheed jet...but...I don't think it will happen.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

beowulf

RE: New Lockheed Jetliner?

Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:53 pm

Hi,

I doubt it. Although the Lockheed Tristar may have been an excellent plane in terms of technique, it didn't do so well from a financial point of view.

Today, airlines are seeking fleets composed out of planes from one, maybe two manufacturers, to save on maintenance costs. Also with aircraft from the same manufacturer, e.g., Airbus, mixed fleet flying is sweet deal. Don't forget that the entire aviation market is changing and the future is still under some haze.

I think that if Lockheed were to re-enter the commercial aviation market, they would have to bring out a whole range of aircraft, not just one. Unless, of course, they produce an airplane that everybody wants and is unique. Right now with a hawkish U.S. government the military industry is well off, and I'm sure Lockheed benefits from them. Aren't they producing the Cruise Missiles? Maybe they need to be restocked?

Just my $0.02.

CU L8er,
Nick

cfalk

Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:21 pm

I would absolutely LOVE to see Lockheed return. They have always been at the forefront of aviation technology, both military and civilian. The Tristar was, in some ways, 25 years ahead of the competition in some areas (such as fire retardant materials). Before that the Constellation and Electra were terrific aircraft (granted the Electra had an unusual problem at the beginning, but that was fixed).

But I am afraid that Lockheed got too badly burned with the Tristar, for a number of reasons, like dependance on a single engine supplier. 20 years after Tristar production has ceased, Lockheed really does not need civil airliner production.

But it would be sweet. And you can be pretty sure that, if they tried, it would not look much like today's stale offerings which all look alike.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Greg

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:37 pm

Lockheed's Board has consistently said every year they have absolutely no intention of commercial aviation persuits. At one point, they even mentioned they have turned down subcontracting ventures (non-risksharing).

I think they are quite happy with the cost-plus contracts and overrun provisions given by the military and space programs.

I thought they actually produced some commercial components for a while..but I got confused with the old Convair.....

Brgds.

LMP737

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:48 pm

Considering how badly burned Lockheed was by the L1011 program I seriously doubt that you will see them re-enter the commercial aircraft market.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

nudelhirsch

Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:46 am

Right! Turn the C5 into a commercial jet and the 380 would disappear from all discussion forums...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

bmacleod

Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:01 am

With Lockheed Martin's $100Billion defense contracts, it woul be very unwise to take another crack at the airliner market.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

AMS

Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:03 am

I hope that the L1011's are going to be rebuild again!

regrards,
AMS

brons2

Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:20 am

A while back, there was some sketches on Lockheed's site about a "box-wing" double decker 600 seat airliner. I'm sure this will never happen though.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

lehpron

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:21 am

More than likely, Lockheed may group up with another company while that other gets the glory. Case in point, Lockheed helped with the redesign of Concorde's visor setup from the original.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

N79969

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:26 am

Given the cutthroat pricing for new transport airplanes, the glut of late model 2nd-hand airplanes, and the hyper-cyclical nature of the airline industry, I don't think that the airliner market looks very appealing to Lockheed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos