atcboy73

Check Hauling --- Could This Be The End Of It

Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:21 am

I was listing to NPR on the way home and they were talking about a bill or something that Bush signed today that allows all banks to process checks electronically.

Working for a night check hauling operation is a major was for young pilots to get experience.

NPRs take on the new found ability of banks to do this is that it will end their need for the night check hauler and make it harder for young pilots to get multi-engine time now.

I wonder if this is the end of all those night check haulers? There really are quite a few of them.

FlyingBanker

RE: Check Hauling --- Could This Be The End Of It

Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:16 pm

At work they announced this yesterday. While a great deal of banks are already practicing this, there are an even larger number who do not have the capacity to receive electronic images of checks which is how they are processed currently. The word is most financial institutions will not be able to comply for several years. I don't think the end is near....not quite yet at least.

Bruce

Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:26 pm

Let me guess......that would be an airline called US Check ???

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

SunValley

Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Bank Runs, as it used to be called were quite prevolent in the past.
Sometimes a group of banks would get together, and underwrite the operation of a "Bank Run" operation in a given geopraphical area. Usually a young pilot would operate a Twin Engine aircraft throughout a "state", stopping at most
cities, sometimes only 15-20 miles apart. IN the 70's & 80"s banks were confined to intra-state opeations only, and could not have branches owned by the same compnay interstate. Hence- Bank of America-Nevada, Bank of Ameirca California, Bank of America Arizona etc.
Usually at airports, a Check Safe was installed, and at the end of business each day, the banks would ready their checks for pick up by a secuirty company, who would deliver them to the airport safe. As the bank run would get underway, the pilot would stop at each airport, & pick up checks at each stop, and take them to the processing center in bulk. Many young pilots would receive large amounts of flying hours for this. This practice has become less prevolent, today, but in some areas it still is in motion.

atcboy73

Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:50 pm

Man SunValley you seem to know your stuff.

Does anyone know what other companies do this kind of work.

Im guessing they might be

Texstar, Telesis and Amflight? I may be wrong.

Anyothers?

CactusA319

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:20 am

AirNet and BankAir are two that operate out of MDW.

pilotpip

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:30 pm

AirNet is a huge company, they have bases everywhere. The one I'm familiar with is CPS. There are a couple companies flying checks out of STL every night in BE58s and Twin Commanders. Another company that comes to mind is Flight Express.
DMI