Superfly
Topic Author

Northwest Airlines; Why Did They Have To Do This?

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:18 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jeff Miller
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicolas Kersting

Sorry if this has been disgusted before.

Why did the greatest airline in the U.S. have to degrade themselves like this?
The other colors were so classy and dignified. This almost looks as bad as Contenintal.
What was the thought process and logic for this carnage?
How will this increase sales for Northwest Airlines?
They just repainted them 10 years ago.
And to top it off, they put NWA in bold letters on the side.
That's the name of an old rap group. Yea we all know it's there initials but this is so generic.

[Edited 2003-10-30 02:29:32]
Bring back the Concorde

Cessna172RG

RE: Northwest Airlines; Why Did They Have To Do This?

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:21 am

Northwest has been around a long time before rap.

And Continental, in my opinion, has one of the most professional color scheme in the industry.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

LastBaron

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:26 am

Sorry if this has been discusted before.
It sure is discusting to see such poor English - the result of too much rap and not enough read...  Wink/being sarcastic

I think the new NWA color scheme is quite attractive. Too bad a "rap" group had to defame a perfectly good airline by naming itself after them...

ssides

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:27 am

Continental's scheme is great.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new 'nwa.' I simply don't like the ".com" or abbreviations in titles; it makes them look like LCCs. British Midland, Northwest, et al should go back to tradition, IMO.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:28 am

I know Northwest has been around before rap. The abbreviations are rather silly after being in business for so many years.
Everyone knows tham as Northwest Airlines, not NWA.

The CO colors are just plain boring.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:29 am

LastBaron:
I don't listen to rap music at all.
Bring back the Concorde

LastBaron

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:32 am

Sorry. Maybe you should make more use of the SpellCheck feature then before posting...

CRJmx

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:32 am

The other colors look old and dirty. I agree with Cessna172RG, Continental's scheme is classy. I think the new look is sharp, it is 2003, not 1990. Who cares if its the name of a rap group(from the 80's), this is an airline who has been known as NWA for years. NWA is obviously re-branding themselves. Plus, when it comes time to repaint the planes, this scheme is a cost savings of 20% over the old scheme. Looks like good business to me.
When it hits your lips, it's so good!!

unattendedbag

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:33 am

LastBaron,

I dont think N.W.A (N. With Attitude) named themselves after the airline.
Slower traffic, keep right

aviatortj

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:35 am

It's a conspiracy. All the airlines are trying to get urban people in their jets!!
How could they do this?  Confused

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:37 am

Unattendedbag:
Are you related to Airsicknessbag?
He is a cool user.  Smokin cool

I still love Northwest Airlines. I just don't like the cheap Avis rental car look.
White fuselage and painted tail is boring.  Sleepy
Bring back the Concorde

LastBaron

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:37 am

Thanks. Since I don't like or approve of or listen to rap, I had no idea... from the first post and that weird CD cover, I thought it might have been - recently I saw some lyrics by some rap group on this forum about Continental buying planes and selling them afterwards to NWA... the lyrics were, naturally, as most rap lyrics are, absolutely foul and full of expletives. I thought that is what was being referred to here, too... I learn more about this disease (rap) every day...

[Edited 2003-10-30 03:00:32]

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:42 am

LastBaron:
I hear you man. I am only 30 and I feel like an old man when I hear 'that devils music' these youngins' are listening to today.  Pissed

I am a cheatlines kind of guy.

At least American Airlines has a dignified scheme.
Still no one beats Olympic Airways livery.
Truley a world class scheme.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Hemmings

[Edited 2003-10-30 02:42:59]
Bring back the Concorde

unattendedbag

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:54 am

If you are around 30, then N.W.A. (N-word With Attitude) was around while you were in high school. I admit when I think of the rap group, I inadverdantly think of the airline. But the rap group is no longer. I think their lead rapper died in the mid 90's.

I wonder if NWA flies to Compton? I just hope they don't put Eazy-E's mugshot on the inside of a winglet or on the fuselage!
Slower traffic, keep right

rockyracoon

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:58 am

N.W.A. has that one song "F the POleece."  Acting devilish Not the best image, but I seriously doubt the majority of the flying population will make the correlation.

I'm not a big fan on the new scheme either, although I've taken a liking to it on the 747400.

Tim

RE: Northwest Airlines; Why Did They Have To Do Th

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:59 am

Hmmmm foul and full of expletives.. Ever have dealings with NWs customer service department? After a few encounters with them and their gate agents you would be foul and full of expletives too. If they fly into the wrong airports with that new paint scheme they may take small arms fire from certain parts of town. (that's a joke)

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:59 am

I personally think the NWA Paint Scheme is very attractive and hits the younger class of flyers.

As far as American Airlines, Time for a make over, even if its just the tail/logo, lets get with the times

Continental needs to take those billboards down, there awful, it would make me NOT want to fly them!

GSPITL
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)

CALMSP

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:01 am

no one may like our color scheme on our jets, but they always look clean. COmpare them to AA's, DL's 732/M80, NW's DC-9's our planes look amazing.
This is all part of having a good product. Compare the inside of the planes b/t airlines and CO's will always rank up at the top.

LastBaron

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:01 am

Hmmmm foul and full of expletives.. Ever have dealings with NWs customer service department? After a few encounters with them and their gate agents you would be foul and full of expletives too.

Sounds like the old Pan Am's ground staff used to, too...

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:02 am

Calmsp,

I agree with you, NW planes are ALWAYS clean and sharp looking inside and out unlike AA, DL and CO

GSPITL

CALMSP

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:07 am

what, are you joking or serious?

expressjetphx

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:11 am

Personally, I like 'nwa's new color scheme on most all of its aircraft, except for the A-330. Somehow, I can't help but think that it would look so much better in the old c/s. Also, can anyone explain why the red doesn't extend all the way down the tail?

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:13 am

Calmsp

Im joking partly but NWA has cleaner planes than DL, & CO. Insides I have never been on a Dirty DL plane and have on NW CO and AA.

GSPITL

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:18 am

GSPITNL:
I personally think the NWA Paint Scheme is very attractive and hits the younger class of flyers.

I disagree.
Low prices and good service is what passengers want regardless of age.
I am almost insulted when companies come up with stupid ad campaigns to target my age demographic. Younger people like class and tradition too.

Northwest Airlines is going the KFC Kentucky Fried Chicken route.  Pissed
Bring back the Concorde

RE: Northwest Airlines; Why Did They Have To Do Th

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:24 am

Superfly,
KFC changed because they had that awful dirty F word (fried). What in Northwest Airlines is so hateful and bad for marketing they had to switch to NWA?

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:25 am

SUPERFLY:

Face the facts, Company's like NW advertise to reach out to certain markets, look at CO's billboard (which I personally think is disgusting!). Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. The paint scheme is not all that bad and grows on you after a while. As far as the Younger people like class goes I totally totally agree.

GSPITL

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:28 am

GSPITNL:
The paint scheme is not all that bad and grows on you after a while

Like a genital wart!  Laugh out loud

Bring back the Concorde

phatfarmlines

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:30 am

It's a conspiracy. All the airlines are trying to get urban people in their jets!! How could they do this?

Now I'm PISSED!!!!! I can tell you how all of the airlines can get "urban people" into their jets. My mother, who does not listen to rap music, is an urban person and she flies to Puerto Rico to visit relatives. My uncle, who also does not listen to rap music, but one of his sons is actually produces rap lyrics, who also is an "urban person", flies to New York City to visit relatives. My grandmother, who also does not listen to rap music but is also an "urban person", flies to California to visit relatives.

Aviatortj, I truely do feel sorry for you. I too am an "urban person", I too enjoy hip-hop culture, and I too enjoy flying as much as everyone does on airliners.net. Just because we are "urban people" we should not be relegated to other modes of transportation.

rikkus67

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:34 am

How about a Canadian perspective?

Repainting and re-branding cost a significant amount of money, and if not carefully researched, can lead to trouble...
Look at "Canadi>n"'s rebranding with the "proud bird" image... Although it was a beautiful replacement of the 1st generation* Canadi>n image, the marketing company made a big blunder: the Canadian Goose has no eye. With a large number of flights that went to Asia, the travelling public over there was quite leary of the new look.... Being somewhat superstitious, many people stopped flying Canadi>n out of asia because they believed a "blind bird" might not know where to fly!
I must admit though, being from the hometown of the predecessor of Canadi>n Regional (Time Air; Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada)... I truly miss seeing ANY "Canadi>n" plane flying in here.

ps: 1st generation... the original Canadi>n scheme was a compromise. Canadian Pacific (CP Air) had invested heavily in a new image for their fleet shortly before they were bought out by the smaller Pacific Western. The "wings over 5 continents" was simply a modified PWA wing logo placed over a relatively unchanged Canadian Pacific color scheme...

ppss... "NWA" new fuselage color is silver, not white...
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

flyLAX

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:34 am

"It sure is discusting to see such poor English - the result of too much rap and not enough read..."

Too much rap? I dont think that comment was necessary.

meister808

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:38 am

Hey... I am 18, and I think the new NWA scheme is pretty good looking. They aren't trying to sell to Superfly's generation, they are trying to sell to the future generation. It seems like everyone I know thinks that the livery is pretty decent. I can't say the last one was bad, either, b/c I think they are both nice.

Now, as for AA, sure, it is a nice scheme, but it could use some spicing up. I think they could retain the bare metal/red/white/blue look and modernize it quite a bit. The colors and shininess is classic, the straight lines and block writing is too basic. I would assume they are paying people lots of money to develop a brand image, though, so I guess they just aren't choosing to market to the younger American male.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:39 am

I thought that billboard was a Photoshop prank. I can't believe CO has gone forward with that. It's disgusting. What they are saying is that these 'urban people' aren't savvy enough to pick a flight based on what non-urban people do.
It's all about price and service.
Bang for the buck.
It's a pretty universal concept.

Who gives a rat’s arse about the age of the fleet?
A DC-9 has to conform to the same safety regulations as an A320.

It's a shame that an airline that was once the 'golden bird' is resorting to such low-brow ad campaigns.

Screw Continental!
I am one 'urban person' that will make it a point to avoid flying Continental Airlines.

[Edited 2003-10-30 03:41:55]
Bring back the Concorde

Cessna172RG

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:40 am

What did he die from? Drugs? Lynched by people with common sense? I do know that if I listen to their music, I'll die of boredom!
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:40 am

Meister808

Thank You. I am 21 and think NWA scheme is pretty good looking also. Glad to see there are some younger people on the forum as well!

GSPITL

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:43 am

Cessna172RG:
A.I.D.S.

Rikkus67:
Did you know that Conrad Bain is also from Lethbridge, Alberta too?  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

SR 103

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:44 am

I disagree.
Low prices and good service is what passengers want regardless of age.
I am almost insulted when companies come up with stupid ad campaigns to target my age demographic. Younger people like class and tradition too.

I am insulted at what you just said. I am young and do not listen to rap music. BUT I like the NWA scheme. So because I like NW's new scheme, does that mean I am automatically a gangster with 10 gold chains around my neck with a boom box blaring rap on my shoulder? I probably have more class than you will ever be able to display in a lifetime!

Like a genital wart!

Very mature for a 30 year old, yeah!

SR 103

cancidas

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:46 am

continental has a great scheme. but northwest, well they really did screw this one up in my opinion.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

flyLAX

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:48 am

"I learn more about this disease (rap) every day..."

That wasn't necessary either. You know I'm new to this forum and am increasingly getting the impression of some people here being rascist. Just to educate some members here, rap is a form of expression through music just as country music is, rock music, and any other type of music you may listen too. To call it a disease is IMO, another form of rascism. I think the new Northwest paint scheme is nice. Just because it uses the same initials as a rap group (one that no longer exists might I add) doesn't degrade the airline one bit.

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:49 am

NW has a better paint scheme than CO ever will

GSPITL

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:59 am

SR 103:
Oh my, I must have struck a nerve there kid.

Relax, it's just an internet message board.
You are free to disagree with me. No need for personal insults because I have different taste than you.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:00 pm

GSPITNL:
NW has a better paint scheme than CO ever will

True, very true.

And a Pinto will always out do a Vega.  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

flyabr

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:00 pm

personally i think NW just decided on a new livery to try and fool folks into thinking they are actually flying on a new plane....when it could be a 30 plus year old diesel 9...!

i just got back from flying northwest this past weekend...and i'd say the new livery is just fine. it does look pretty sharp in the sunlight!

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:04 pm

Superfly:

Wake up and smell the coffee, Most people like the new livery, Its a good looking scheme and attracts to all age groups and delivers the same quality that NW always have given.

Also if a Pinto ever out did anything it would be a cold summer day in Iraq

GSPITL

767Lover

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:07 pm

I think the new look is sharp. I thought their old look was dull and lifeless.

P.S. it escapes me why saying you don't like rap music (i.e. calling it a disease) is racist. If someone called country music a disease, I wouldn't say that is a racist comment.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:10 pm

GSPITNL:
I can smell the bitter coffee.  Pissed
I think I am dating myself with the Pinto analogy. I was talking about an awful automobile from the 1970s and its competitor (Vega) which was worse.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

flyLAX

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:18 pm

"P.S. it escapes me why saying you don't like rap music (i.e. calling it a disease) is racist. If someone called country music a disease, I wouldn't say that is a racist comment. "

I never said its racist first of all. I said that im getting the impression that some people here are racist. Second of all when a person generalizes a certain type of music as causing the majority of problems with todays youth, as the person(s) who made their comments above did, then I get upset. People have their own opinions about diff. types of music yes. But I also think that calling it a disease is a sugar-coated way of being racist.

767Lover

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:33 pm

I never said its racist first of all. I said that im getting the impression that some people here are racist. Second of all when a person generalizes a certain type of music as causing the majority of problems with todays youth, as the person(s) who made their comments above did, then I get upset. People have their own opinions about diff. types of music yes. But I also think that calling it a disease is a sugar-coated way of being racist.

1. You are contradicting yourself.
2. Who said that rap music "is causing the majority of problems with today's youth?" You are flame-baiting here.
3. I appreciate the creativity and skill involved in rap music (I'm being serious and genuine when I say that) but you have to wonder about the effect of a genre of music that talks about (in a bragging way) killing cops, raping women and refers to black people as "niggers." I'm sorry, but you don't hear this in other forms of music and in this sense it is toxic.

GSPITNL

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:34 pm

Superfly:

I know about the pinto and Vega. I was being sarcastic  Yeah sure

GSPITL

StevenUhl777

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:49 pm

Thanks for the laughs...this post has been very entertaining! Hell, put Ice Cube's mugshot on the tail!  Big thumbs up

What happened to "Northwest Orient"? I've never flown them personally, but I liked the color scheme and name from 20 years ago. But that's because I'm 30, and also remember the "other" N.W.A. I'll choose the airline over the rap group, thanks.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

flyLAX

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:51 pm

"Who said that rap music "is causing the majority of problems with today's youth?" You are flame-baiting here."

Nobody said that. Thats the general impression I get when some people call it "a disease"

"you have to wonder about the effect of a genre of music that talks about (in a bragging way) killing cops, raping women and refers to black people as "niggers." I'm sorry, but you don't hear this in other forms of music and in this sense it is toxic"

What you mentioned above is just a VERY small percentage of whats really included in todays rap music. Too many people refer to rap as what you mentioned above and thats just not the case. MOST of todays rap is positive and geared toward rebuilding the once clean image that it had in its beginning stages.