airplanetire

Will Virgin Ever Do Short/Medium Haul Flights?

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:55 am

I remember that several years ago, Virgin Atlantic owned at least one A321 that they used on short/medium haul flights. I remember seeing one in ATH in 2000. I do not remember if they served any other destinations or if that was Virgin's only non-longhaul flight. I assume that Virgin was not making money on the route and that is why is was ended, but why has Virgin never restarted or made new services within Europe? Do they have any plans?

-Airplanetire

boeing 747-311

RE: Will Virgin Ever Do Short/Medium Haul Flights?

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:47 am

i dont think that they would be able to compete on those flights bc they are a long haul carrier kinda like how southwest cant compete on long haul flights! i think that is just my opinion
Come fly with US

markyboy

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:20 pm

I did fly to and from Athens a couple of times a few years back on G-OUZO an airbus A320 with Virgin Atlantic. I think it was 96 or 97 and I remember that I was allowed to smoke onboard too. FA told me that it was near impossible to tell the Greeks not to smoke hence the rule.

They were a great airline to fly with and It would be nice to see them fly to European destinations but Mr Branson is no fool and I am sure he has good reasons for not doing so.

markyboy.

kosmonaute

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:37 pm

I know that Virgin Atlantic has a partnership with bmi...has there ever been mention of a merger between the two of them? I could definitely see three divisions: Virgin U.K., Virgin Europe, and Virgin Atlantic.
Burning airlines give you so much more.

NCLusa

Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:21 pm

Merger between VS and bmi would make sense, as it allows bmi to gain access to long haul flights from LHR (something which they very well may not be able to achieve on their own) and VS to expand their brand throughout the UK and EU. but, for such a merger to take place would probably mean VS would join Star Alliance (with also would make sense due to Singapore Airlines owning 49%), but it appears to me that Virgin would like to remain independent....

Sabena 690

Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:57 pm

The service of VS is far superior that for example UA also serving LHR-JFK for example. Can you imagine booking a VS flight for the service, and ending up on UA?

I think also that a VS-BD merger would make sense... but starting a third airline out LHR with European feeder flights for the long haul network? No way...

Another thing is that VS seems to make money on point to point traffic between LHR and the US + Asia + South Africa. Connecting passengers means a much lower yield, certainly for the economy restricted tickets!

VS codeshares with BD on the BRU-LHR-BRU route. For some reason, I only saw the published price as full fare untill now! So apparently they have a small bit of connecting traffic, but with a good yield.

Regards
Frederic

qqflyboy

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:01 pm

Virgin has baby sister Virgin Express operating to 18 intra European destinations from Brussels using B737 aircraft.

Side note: Sir Richard Branson has plans to create what has been dubbed "Virgin America", a new LCC based in the US to start sometime next year. I suppose it will be like Virgin Blue in Australia.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

HeyMach

Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:24 pm

Virgin and bmi were in talks about a possible merger earlier this year. However, bmi called off the talks as its' management did not feel there was enough to gain from such a merger and further both parties could not agree upon the valuations for the respective airlines. As Sabena 690 mentioned Virgin and bmi continue to code share on certain routes and also share some ground handling facilities at LHR.

bongo

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:41 pm

nice pics of a nice livery in a nice plane:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Morley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

bongo

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:42 pm

And here´s a 737:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Chandler

MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

kosmonaute

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:49 pm

I think also that a VS-BD merger would make sense... but starting a third airline out LHR with European feeder flights for the long haul network? No way...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mr. Branson went and built his own airport outside of London...  Big grin
Burning airlines give you so much more.

airchabum

Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:01 am

There are no plans for VS to do short-haul flights out of London and due to the cut-throat nature of the business, ie well-established LCC's at LTN/LGW/STN + nil slot availability at LHR I can't see that such a venture would ever make any money. However I can see more co-operation with BMI (maybe even a takeover) as this will be the only way to get a) short-haul feed and b) more LHR slots.

The only European route VS have operated was LGW/LHR-ATH initially with a 734, then an A320 and finally A321 G-VATH. VS applied to fly LHR-SVO but the licence wasn't forthcoming. In the end it made no sense operating a short-haul fleet of one a/c, especially on a very seasonal route.

Cheers
Biggidy biggidy bong