vulindlela744

Transatlantic Routings

Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:03 am

I have noticed lately on the flight tracker sites that alot of the flights from Europe to Miami are taking a very southerly route. Not just the 4-holers but the 2-holers as well. I have flown to Europe at least 2 dozen times and on the return almost always flew north towards Canada and then. Does anyone know anything about this?

Rick767

RE: Transatlantic Routings

Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:26 am

The jetstream moves south in the Winter (i.e. generally over the North Atlantic), so to avoid the strong headwinds aircraft take a more southerly routing.

These 'tracks' are changed every day in both directions to avoid the headwinds or take advantage of the tailwinds.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

RE: Diplomats Owe 21 Million In Unpaid Fines

Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:58 am

Dear Vulindlela744 -
xxx
As mentioned by our friend Rick, tracks are changed everyday and the way they are defined depends of the wind...
xxx
Airplanes can also be flown "random track" (a track requested by the operator) as long as it stays clear of the published tracks, or to "join" a published track. One other detail, as an example, from Florida to Europe, you mention twin-engine airplanes, it may be that they track a route within their ETOPS limits. Rick is an expert in this subject since he flies 767s... so do not ask me, I still have 4 motors with my dinosaurs.
xxx
I assume ETOPS on a Florida-Europe track (UK) would consider Bermuda, St John (Newfounland), Lajes (Azores) and Shannon to define their tracks.
xxx
Suggest you publish this type of subject in Tech.Ops next time, sometimes this would get lost in this forum, due to the large volume of postings.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

[Edited 2003-10-30 17:01:56]

vulindlela744

RE: Transatlantic Routings

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:58 am

Thanks alot for the info.