Air Taiwan
Topic Author

What's The Best Asian Airline?

Tue Jan 04, 2000 7:35 am

Hi everyone,
Just want to do a small survey,

1. Which airline(s) in the asia pacific region do you think is overall the best compared to other asian airlines?

2. Which airline(s) in the asia pacific region do you think is overall the worst compared to other asian airlines?

3. Please do NOT include Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

4. Please give short reasons, thanks.

TWA757

RE: What's The Best Asian Airline?

Tue Jan 04, 2000 10:30 am

Many people will probably say QANTAS or Air New Zeland, which are both OK airlines, but in my opinion, Korean Air is very good and often overlooked. I flew them from LAX to HKG a few months ago and the service was excellent. The flights was on 747-400's, which both left right on time (we stopped in Seoul). The food was very good and the flight attendents were very attentive. The worst airline would have to be Garuda or China Airlines (poor safety record). If you don't want anyone to say Cathay or Singapore, why ask? You know they are the best!

thai747

Tue Jan 04, 2000 12:25 pm

Heya
The worst.. you can catagorize in 2 ways.. if you want Safetywise.. it would be Korean Air , China Airlines and Merpati Airlines.. if its service-wise.. I would say Air Koryo of North Korea .. my friend flew this airline from Macau once ( MFM ) because his family missed his connection at Macau for NX ( Air Macau ) and JS ( Air Koryo ) was the only next flight to depart from MFM to BKK. Beside the expensive full-fare they paid , food were inedible ( half frozen chicken , long-ago defrosted and soggy peas and a breadroll hard enough to knock someone out on the head ) Flight attendants who was rude and couldn't speak english and a dirty enough plane it looked like a public bus. Now Air Koryo doesn't fly from Piang Yang ( FNJ ) to BKK via Macau anymore , it flies direct

The best airline (beside CX and SQ ) would be TG , JL , NH , MH and UL .. I heard VN is really good as well

Tue Jan 04, 2000 5:16 pm

Yes, Cathay Pacific is Number 1 and Singapore Airlines is Number 2 and this is followed by:

3. Japan Airlines which has great service, polite cabin crew and efficient service delivery. I hope they will join oneworld alliance soon.

Amir

Tue Jan 04, 2000 5:44 pm

well if you want us to exclude CX and SQ then i would say:
TG very good service, good conex in Aisa and in EU through the Star Alliance.
the food is excellent, FA's very friendly and efficient.

JL: Business class on 744 is great!

EK: though not the biggest airline, but by far the best to/from the Middleeast. Excellent Conex via DXB. And one of the first airlines in Asia to install individual TV screens in Eco.
they have won XXX awards for their distinctive service. (alot of people only think about the Fa-East when Asia is mentioned! but it is way more)

pandora

TWA757

Tue Jan 04, 2000 7:18 pm

Korean air is the airline of hell!!!! i'd never travel on it!!. My friend, a korean said while he went from seoul to Sydney (than QANTAS to MEL) said besides the crew who can't speak english, the food was disgusting!!!!!! entertianment was virtually stuff he never heard of!!!

N754PR

Korean The Worst !

Tue Jan 04, 2000 8:24 pm

How can anyone say that Korean is a good airline but they would not fly CI because of the safty issue ??

Korean now has to be the worst airline on the planet when it comes to safty issues, even China Airlines are crashing less then Korean.

I would never fly Korean or China Airlines.

By the way you all think SQ is gods gift to the aviation world, if you knew some of the stories that i've heard from pilots and ex- SQ pilots you would think again. Their inflight service may be fantastic, but i like to think more about the guys up front !!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

kaitak

RE: Japanese Airlines

Wed Jan 05, 2000 1:32 am

Having flown on all three Japanese airlines, albeit domestically, I have to say that all three were splendid. It's difficult to choose as the levels of cleanliness, courtesy and punctuality were uniformally good. Does QF count as an Asian airline? If so, it would have to be up there too . . .

But of course, the top spot goes to the airline that dare not be mentioned under this thread . . .

TWA757

Hey?!

Wed Jan 05, 2000 11:03 am

The only time I have EVER flown on Korean Air was on this particular trip. The flight was very nice. Speaking of the flight attendents, they were exceptional. They spoke English fine, and I was even able to converse with one in Bahasa (Indonesia). Mabye you have had bad experiences on Korean, but I have had worse flights on Cathay AND Singapore! Also--I totally agree with N754PR about the pilots on SQ!

Wed Jan 05, 2000 11:16 am

mmm...so what's the issue about Singapore Airlines pilots? i'm really curious...