Aeri28
Topic Author

Aloha Starts Srvc To Pago Pago. Any More Details?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:08 am

from honolulu. It also is linking the Cook Islands (Rarotonga) but I cant figure out if it flies HNL RAR PPG and return or HNL PPG RAR and return or what.

Anybody know?

http://www.alohaairlines.com/promotions/index.htm

RE: Aloha Starts Srvc To Pago Pago. Any More Details?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:02 am

Aloha's routing used to be YVR-HNL-RAR with a 73NG. I'm guessing that they're simply extending that route to PPG.

mariner

Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:21 am

This should help, although Yahoo news has a later correction to the time of the return flight:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031027/lam146_1.html

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Aeri28
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:09 am

Thanks for the link.

HNL PPG RAR makes more sense as there is no competition on the HNL RAR flights anyway, so wht is a short stop? Otherwise if they had done HNL RAR PPG, then Hawaiian airlines would clearly have the advantage.

Problem is flights between HNL and PPG on Hawaiian tend to be heavily booked so I wonder how that would affect AQs RAR flights (stopping in PPG).

mariner

Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:23 am

I'm a bit out of my depth here, because it's been a while since I lived in the South Pacific.

I was suprised when Aloha added Rarotonga. I could see some local traffic from the islands to Honolulu, although most Cook Islanders would graviate to New Zealand.

And I wouldn't think there's a huge amount of tourist traffic from Honolulu to Rarotonga.

I could easily be wrong.

However, since Pago-Pago and the American Samoas are US territory I can see why there's a lot of traffic to/from there - many Federal government employees.

I think there was an airline (Air America?) that flew frm LA to Pago-Pago, but that may have been an occasional, unscheduled flight.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

kdonohue

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:24 pm

When Canada 3000 went bankrupt a few years ago, there were no convenient flights to the Cooks from Canada. Canada 3000 did a good job developing this market. When Aloha started to serve YVR, they quickly began promoting the Cook Islands. So, while there may not be much demand from Hawaii, I would think there would from the North American continent.

Leneld

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:32 pm

when is aloha coming to Portland?

Kiwi dave

Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:03 pm

I had read on here that Aloha was considering Christchurch have they dropped that for now?