B737-112
Topic Author

Burbank Aiport

Tue Jan 04, 2000 8:12 am

Does anyone else out there support the expansion of an Airport that desperately needs a makeover. This 1950's terminal is cramped and is too close to the Runways, making it a safety hazard. -Ryan

Matt D

RE: Burbank Aiport

Tue Jan 04, 2000 8:19 am

Burbank has been in desparate need of a new terminal for YEARS. But due to the short sighted thinking of encroachment in and near the airport, in essence caging it in, and not leaving any room for growth, and the inevitable protests that will arise, I will be surprised if a new terminal gets built before 2010...if it ever gets built at all.

Tom in NO

RE: Burbank Aiport

Tue Jan 04, 2000 8:22 am

During the mid-80's, I was a representative of BUR's Part 150 noise committee. During that time, and ever since, one of the goals there was the design, development, approval, and construction of a replacement terminal. The problems, as I remember, were twofold: 1) local residential opposition, and 2) inability to effect land purchase for the project.

It is unfathomable to me why the FAA goes on letting BUR operate in this environment, when the terminal is within 500' of the main runway, and FAA Advisory Circular design minimums are 750'. BUR needs to get the new terminal done. It should have been done years ago.

But, then, that's what happens when you let the general uneducated population dictate how you run your airport. I know a number of people at BUR, and they're all good people. But that is one screwed up airport.

YES, I'm in total favor of the new terminal.

Tom in NO
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina