SInGAPORE_AIR

Air France Looks To Draw Aeroflot Into SkyTeam

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:37 pm

Groupe Air France S.A. CEO Jean Cyril Spinetta said yesterday that he wanted Aeroflot in the SkyTeam alliance to reinforce their Russian and Eastern European presence, currently dominated by Lufthansa apparently.

He wants to stimulate competition on Russian and East European routes and added that Aeroflot had made a good economic recovery.

Aeroflot reported a profit of US$89.3 million for FY2002.

More information at the Financial Times website
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

behramjee

RE: Air France Looks To Draw Aeroflot Into SkyTeam

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:50 pm

Smart move as AEROFLOT has a huge market in Russia and CIS which SKY TEAM doesnt have access to in a big way.

Plus now SU has totally modernized itself with A 320s for regional routes with B 737 Classics and B 763ERs + B 772ERs for long haul and the Moscow hub of it has been upgraded/modernized too since the late 80s.

scottysair

Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:54 pm

Is that was true about SU is join with skyteam alliance? Is that would continues to expansion more flight to Russia? Is that was possible about each other airlines is join with skyteam alliance and this is very interested thing about Aeroflot? Which one is could to be next airlines to more join with SkyTeam Alliance? Thanks!  Smile

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:29 am

SU is divesting its 777 fleet... choosing to focus on A32x for shorhaul and 763ER for longhaul (as far as its western fleet goes anyways)
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:39 am

"Although Air France has a code-sharing agreement with Aeroflot on the Paris-Moscow route, it has been seeking to build its presence in the Russian and East European markets. They are considered to be Sky Team's weakest link in its international network."

Hmm, maybe I'm just overly skeptical... but wouldnt more of SkyTeam's customers be more interested in fixing the alliance's glaring weakness in the SEAsian/Australian market than they would in the Ural/Siberian?  Sad

StarFlyer

Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:02 am

Am I the only one under the impression that SkyTeam attracts a lot of second class carriers? Admittedly of the SkyTeam members I have only flown AF but none of the member airlines are leading in any aspect of airline business - particularly service wise OW and * have the edge with CX, SQ, BA, LH, QF etc.
I think the fact that Aeroflot might join SkyTeam just adds to that! What do others think?
Yours truly - StarFlyer

UN_B732

Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:26 am

SU is not second class. I hate it how some people jump to assumptions.
Now who said Singapore_Air's posts don't interest anyone  Laugh out loud
Anyway... SU already has codeshares with a lot of SkyTeam carriers..this will reinforce the love  Smile.
-UN
What now?

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:40 am

StarFlyer,
I'm personally much more concerned about upgrades, FFP reciprocity, seamless booking, and standardized mileage accrual... than I am about who has 180degree recline versus 170degree.

On that perspective, SkyTeam is by far supreme: as DL codeshares with all members, reciprocal transatlantic upgrades with its primary partner, has ATI with members on multiple continents, and all members earn full flown mileage for nearly all paid fares.

Star isnt that great in these respects, and OneHeathroWorld is a complete and utter joke!

[Edited 2003-11-01 19:49:01]

F9Widebody

Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:42 am

Well, to an extent I think the some airlines in Oneworld and Star are better than the competition in Sky Team. For instance, I'd take BA and maybe LH over AF. I'd take CX or SQ over Korean. AA or UA vs DL is a wash. I think Aeromexico vs MX is either a wash or else a competition in which MX comes out a little bit in the lead. If you include CO, NW, and KL in that though, the race becomes much more even. These are just my opinions and I don't want to start any kind of fight.

On the other hand, I think the addition of SU into Skyteam would help them significantly. It would give frequent flyers of Skyteam unparalleled access to Russia.

Regards,
F9W
YES URLS in signature!!!

airfrancejfk

Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:20 am

I believe AF and SU already codeshare on some routes (ie CDG-SVO) so they already have some form of cooperation there. Also, it has been no surprise that Skyteam and AF have been courting SU for several years now.

SU would definately increase the Skyteam presence in the former CIS, especially in the Caucusus region where LH/Star has a strong presence, versus none by Skyteam.