N777UA
Topic Author

Did TWA Have A Chance?

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:03 am

Just a question, with all the STL TWA talk around here:

If the American buyout had not taken place, is there any way TWA could have survived on its own?

My guess would be maybe, IF 911 hadn't occurred, but since it did occur, then I don't think they would have.

DeltaGuy

RE: Did TWA Have A Chance?

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:12 am

Would have liked to see it keep living, it was one of the last real, old school named airlines, from lineups like Eastern, Western, Pan Am, etc.

Before 9/11, maybe it could have treaded around like UAL is. After, not a chance...even the strong airlines were reduced to beaten souls.

RIP TWA

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

desertjets

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:24 am

Even w/o 911 it is likely that TWA would not have survived. Even during the flush economy of the late 90s were other airlines were raking in the cash, TWA struggled to have a handful, and I do mean a literal handful, of profitable quarters (I believe there may have only been one or two). With poor credit ratings and an ambitious (though needed) fleet renewal program their costs were too high. Throw in their inability to hedge fuel costs when they spiked in the summer of 2000 they were done.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

trnswrld

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:24 am

No one will ever know. All someone could do is speculate, and most will agree that 9-11 would have been the nail in the coufin for TWA. The last couple years of TWA's life was starting to actually look pretty promising with all there new aircraft, a new excellent color scheme, and a vastly reworked route structure. Some people might also forget that TWA was not forced into any liquidation either, this was a planned agreement between AA and TWA to merge. Even though I would LOVE to see TWA still flying, it would have been very very tough for them to make it through what 9-11 did to the economy and the aviation economy more specifically. Think of it this way, much stronger airlines such as UAL, AA, USair, and now DL are all struggling to hold on and they went into 9-11 in a lot better shape financially than TWA. So, make your own conclusion but I think you get what im getting at Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I will miss TWA

[Edited 2003-11-02 03:28:53]

Alpha 1

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:25 am

If B747-437B could have gotten a hold of it, it'd still be around today.  Big grin

B747-437B

Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:36 am

If B747-437B could have gotten a hold of it, it'd still be around today.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Alpha1, but even the most optimistic members of our consortium wouldn't argue your position!  Smile

If Jet Acquisitions Group had succeeded in acquiring TWA in March 2001 as we had hoped, our business plan projections would have put us the most vulnerable from a cashflow standpoint towards the end of the summer travel season in early September with cash on hand from unflown revenue being at its lowest point while capital spending was just picking up.

As a result it is my belief that similar to Midway, we would not have had sufficient liquidity to resume operations on September 15, 2001 and the airline would simply have shut down at that time. Even if we had been able to scrounge together enough cash to keep going then, the industry-wide revenue crisis for the next two quarters would have virtually assured liquidation once the bailout money dried up.

If we had acquired TWA and 9/11 had not happened, then yes, I think TWA would have stood a fighting chance. I think our business plan was solid, our management team was able and our financing was in place. But world events have a way of scuttling even the best laid plans and there is no point dwelling on past hypotheticals.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

atrude777

Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:40 pm

Now see here I am confused.......

Did AA and TWA MERGE? or did AA BUY TWA. I thought it was the bought....so therfore....whether or not 9/11 happened TWA wouldn't be around anyway!!!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

B747-437B

Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:48 pm

Did AA and TWA MERGE? or did AA BUY TWA

Neither.

AA acquired "substantially all assets" of TWA in an auction conducted by the US Bankruptcy Court after TWA filed Chapter 11.

TWA as an entity ceased to exist after the sale was complete. AA transferred all the assets to a seperate company, a subsidiary of AMR Corporation called "TWA, LLC" and operated the assets there until they were merged into American Airlines.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

atrude777

Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:56 pm

OHHHHH My bad, when I saw ur post. I thought you worked for AA, but looking back I realized you were for a different company. I am sorry. I sure wish you had aqcuired TWA, would have been nice to see them going!!!! I love TWA, as I live near STL!!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos