MEA321
Topic Author

MEA Decides Against Sao Paulo Route

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:09 pm

According to MEA chairman Mohammed Hout, Middle East Airlines will not re-open a direct route between Beirut and Sao Paulo. This comes after some speculation that MEA was doing a feasibility study about the BEY-GRU route.

Hout said that profitability was not proven to be satisfactory, however MEA will soon be offering great fares from Beirut to the United States and Rio de Janeiro thanks to an agreement with major international airline companies.

He also re-emphasized that MEA will be joining skyteam in 2004.
MEA321

yegbey01

RE: MEA Decides Against Sao Paulo Route

Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:29 pm

I think they will rely more and more on AF which is great. MEA should concentrate on being a regional player rather than opening up routes that could be too risky and could result in losing money.

Good decision!

BA

Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:20 pm

I heard this a few weeks ago. Mohammad El-Hout said that the yields on this route are simply too low at the moment. I agree with him.

Good to hear about MEA joining Skyteam in 2004. Where did you hear all this information?

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

MEA321
Topic Author

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:11 pm

BA,

LBC reported on Monday, November 3rd about MEA letting go of the Sao Paulo route and the rest of the information which I stated in the first post. They said a lot of other things but I don't remember exactly what. They usually have their TV broadcasts put on their website, so I will go back and check if it is there.

Something I forgot to add in the initial post is that MEA is offering tickets to the U.S. as low as $690 and to Rio de Janeiro as low as $800. That is quoted from Lebanonwire.com. Again those prices are made possible through agreements which have been negotiated with other (unspecified) airlines.

MEA321

OD720

Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:20 pm

I think it's best not to fly to GRU at present. They should concentrate on YUL instead if there's any intention for going long haul.