connector4you

Air Canada Emergency Landing At Vancouver Intl

Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:59 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Corey Karls & Sacha Cantor

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id=D49C29B6-A1AC-45A9-B0EB-B38276E24844

Can anyone figure out what Air Canada flight number was that Airbus 330? Its highly unusual - to say the least- for an airline to fly 90 pax with a wide body jet on a such short hop!

Was this aircraft supposed to fly the Calgary - Frankfurt route later that same afternoon?

Jayce

RE: Air Canada Emergency Landing At Vancouver Intl

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:29 pm

AC844 (YYC-FRA) is delayed only 36 minutes, according to the website. Could this because of a substitution?
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

ramprat

Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:35 pm

It was either for 844(FRA) or 850(LHR) out of YYC. Once or twice per week they switch aircraft in Calgary, flying one from YVR-YYC to do a few legs to Europe, and one of the aircraft that was doing the European legs from Calgary goes back to Vancouver. It normally turns into an A check in Vancouver after returning.

fraT

Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:14 pm

Flight AC850 to LHR had a delay of 2 hours. But AFAIK the A330 stayed in YVR after the incident. The pax were put on an additional A320 to YYC.

RP TPA

Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:08 pm

The early afternoon YVR-YYC flt (I forgot the exact time and flt nmbr) is very often a widebody for 2 reasons. First, it arrives from either Europe or the far east, and is rotated to YYC for a YYC-Europe flight. Secondly, the added capacity is useful as there are usually a large number of tour groups from Asia that connect to this flight for their Canadian Rockies tours.

fallingeese

Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:24 am

I'm wondering if any of the photographers in YVR got a photo of it taking off, and sold it to the Vancouver Sun. Shown on the TV here in Calgary was a picture of it taking off, aswell as landing.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:13 am

Say what you will about AC, but I have no doubt their maintenance team will solve the problemo quickly; no-one can deny Air Canada's excellent maintenance record and technical expertise.

And, if there was any Airport for pax to be delayed at, good thing it was beautiful YVR International (Sushi and Saki, anyone?).

BO__einG

Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:41 am

I heard that pilot of the flight reported engine troubles. Oil leak or something like that.

Oh and the flight number was #216 and was supposed to park at A12.
PLane was due to arrive at 4:20 but came in with replacement at 7:26pm Local.

Normally all european Air Canada flights that come into YYC go out of YYC back to european cities. Swappings of the widebodies for the 844/5 and 850/1 are actually done at the two airport LHR and FRA instead of calgary.
About a few times a week (2x as what Ramprat said), YVR would send out a widebody to Calgary. Normally its flight #216 arriving and #225 departing at 1730local.

This case, what he said in his post is true. The whole swapoping does take place and one of the flights from europe (I think the Frankfurt one) switches to another gate so the YVR flight could park in its place.
With the added pax load, it may also be possible that the flight to YVR may be a continuing flight to asia in the late evening? I ain't 100% sure about that but according to Air Canada ads in the paper, it shows destinations like YYC-HKG or something therefore it does appear to make sense..

Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.