Setjet
Topic Author

Aero Lloyd Will Become Low Cost Airline...

Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:53 pm

According to a news report on the German Tagesschau.de website Aero Lloyd will become yet another low cost airline.

http://www.tagesschau.de/aktuell/meldungen/0,1185,OID2622996_REF4,00.html

Another rumor is that Aero Lloyd placed up to ten Airbus aircraft on a dry-lease in the US. One or two will be permanently placed there, the other only during the (winter) season.

Any coments?

TriStar500

RE: Aero Lloyd Will Become Low Cost Airline...

Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:58 pm

1. Better rephrase it as "might become", because there have to be investors, who are willing to blow their money away with just another low cost clone. And I have my doubt that anyone is willing to take that risk. Which is a real shame, because Aerolloyd was a highly professional airline in terms of service, operations and maintenance (not so much in management for obvious reasons) with a very motivated and hgihgly skilled workforce.

2. YP has been wetleasing partsof their fleet to US tour operators for a couple of years now. It was one of the few parts of their business portfolio, which was very profitable, so it is a good sign to see that they are allowed to fulfill those contracts.

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Setjet
Topic Author

Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:06 pm

I also have my doubts for yet another low-cost enterprise in Europe and Germany particular.

Do you know if the US contract is wet-lease or indeed a dry-lease (that's what I heard)?

TriStar500

Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:10 pm

From what I remember, it was a wetlease, altough it could be limited to flight deck crews only.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

aviaction

Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:00 am

Almost forgotten, but still a fact: Aero Lloyd operated a scheduled network in the past. They served internal German routes plus international services to London and Paris. For these flights the designator YP (= Your Partner) was used, for their charter flights AEF.

Their approach was similiar to the one adapted by GEXX now, morning and evening flights to business destinations, in between flight to holiday destinations. However, after a short period all scheduled operations were stopped with the exception of FRA-TXL flights.

On this run one or two MD's that had previously been with German Wings (MK1) were used, still in the comfortable 2 x 2 German Wings layout.
And I agree fully with TriStar 500 that it is (was) an excellent airline, offering good onboard service. And they keep their planes in mint condition.
I really keep my fingers crossed for them ... Good luck, Aero Lloyd!
German by nationality, European by heart!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos