atcboy73

Ever Bought The Seat Next To You To Keep It Empty?

Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:05 pm

Have you ever bought the seat next to you to keep it from being used by another passenger.

Maybe you had a feeling your flight was going to be full and you wanted a window seat, and to also have the middle seat stay unoccupied. Or maybe you were on a long cross country or an international flight and just wanted more room. Did your flight end up being full and did this cause problems.

Can you even do this?

notdownnlocked

RE: Ever Bought The Seat Next To You To Keep It Empty?

Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:08 pm

I haven't but I have seen Richard Simmons do this first class on a DFW-LAX flight so nobody would sit next to him.

[Edited 2003-11-08 15:11:25]

An-225

Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:31 pm

No... But I have been non-revving for the past two months, and most of the time I haven't had anyone sit next to me at all.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Ndebele

RE: Ever Bought The Seat Next To You To Keep It Em

Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:13 am

Imagine, you buy an extra ticket in order to keep the seat next to you free - just to find out that the flight is empty anyway. I have seen a case like this on an LTU A320, a passenger had bought an extra ticket, and in the end there were something like 20 passengers on board...

kilavoud

Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:26 am

If I were a sumo and like to fly only in coach, I would dot it.

http://www.asij.ac.jp/elementary/school/k_retire/push.htm

Regards. Kilavoud.

aviaction

Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:57 am

Ndebele already mentioned LTU, the German airline. When you buy their "Jahrescard" (Card valid for a year), which entitles the holder to unlimited travel on all flights between Germany and Spain (incl. Canary Islands) as well as Faro, for just EUR 10,000, you can get an "Extra-Seat-Card" (guaranteed free seat next to you) for EUR 5,000.
A very tempting idea indeed. Obviously there is a demand for such a service. Are they any LTU people on Airliners.net who might want to tell us how many of these Extra-Seat-Cards have been purchased so far?
German by nationality, European by heart!

bmacleod

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:00 am

That is a very expensive option if you ask me. What would be the point anyway?
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

GulfstreamGuy

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:16 am

No.. BUT... I saw a violinist from Count Basie on a United LIT-ORD buy a first class seat for his "fiddle"  Wow!  Nuts

...strange... but true!
GG
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

aviaction

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:17 am

To answer Bmacleod's question: At least for me, a number of reasons spring to mind: It would definitely save you from having a very chatty neighbour, from having an obese neighbour (who leaves you hardly any space to breathe) or from having a very "smelly" neighbour.

All of this already happened to yours truly ... who would have very much preferred to have a free seat next to him on these flights. And, in a way, it gives you much more "intimacy" at a much lower total price than a biz seat, where all of the above might happen as well. Well, just my thoughts.

markyboy

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:35 am

Would one of your seats not be classed as a no show and therefore your seat allocated either back for sale or to a stand by passenger if there was one?

markyboy.

P.S. Whilst working as a holiday rep I did sell a rather large passenger two tickets for himself to travel back to the UK. I was later told by someone from the airline if he was any bigger he would have had to go in the hold! lol

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:36 am

That's what miles are for!

GC

Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:48 am

Eric Clapton often bought a seat for his now retired Stratocaster "Blackie" as it was too valuable / fragile to go in the hold. I suppose he didn't wan't to stick it in the overhead bin, with bottles of duty free, people's coats and carry on rolling around  Smile

jessman

Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:25 am

For the very large, two seats in coach where the armrest lifts up can be much more comfortable than one seat in first class with the solid armrests firmly implanting themselves into one's hindquarters.

I have never done this.

Leskova

Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:29 am

I might consider buying the seat next to me - if I knew that I'd be getting the miles credited for both seats...  Wink/being sarcastic
Smile - it confuses people!

aviaction

Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:38 am

To answer Leskova's question: yes, of course, miles are credited for both seats ... but keep in mind, for future reward travel you need double the miles as you want to stick to the "two-seats-for-your-just-one-single-bum" luxury
 Wink/being sarcastic Happy flights!

nonrevman

Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:29 am

I once worked for reservations, and yes, a couple did want the middle seat empty in a section of 3, so they bought it. The flight was looking very full too. I can understand why some people would want to do this.

futureualpilot

Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:43 am

I havent, it isnt worth it to me. I'd rather save the money and put of with someone for a few hrs.
Life is better when you surf.

FrequentFlyKid

Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:55 am

How exactly does one do this? Do they purchase two seats in their name? I only wonder because a person can have their reservation, and seat, cancelled if they do not present themselves at a certain time before departure. How would someone who bought an extra seat prevent that seat from being filled in an oversale situation.

LJ

Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:05 am

From what I've been told (haven't done it myself) you get two tickets in your name and you check-in for both seats. I've been told that if you have two seats you get double lugagge allowance but no two meals.

How would someone who bought an extra seat prevent that seat from being filled in an oversale situation.

You paid for the seat thus the airline must pay denied boarding compansation for the empty seat if they want to fill the seat if the flight is oversold. However, I'm not 100% sure about this as it's possible they pay 50% of the fare you used for the empty seat.

CO2BGR

Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:34 am

I was flying non-rev with my family once, and the agent went down to the a/c to count the number of empty seats, then told us there are 4 seats left (there were 4 of us) go find them. Well I got B*tched at by some guy that had bought an extra seat (this was on a M80 on the 2 seat side), My dad and an F/A came back to settle the dispute. I ended sitting with him. I was not one of my more enjoyable flights to say the least. Im not sure why he needed an extea seat as the flight was 1 hr long and he was not large by any means.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Leskova

Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:46 am

If I remember correctly, an airline helpdesk once told me to book the second seat in the family name of the passenger, with the first name replaced by the code EXST (EXtra SeaT) - so, if I were booking two seats for myself that would be
1. Seat: LESKOVA/FRANK MR
2. Seat: LESKOVA/EXST

The problem with booking two seats in the same name is that some airlines cancel them, as they see a dupe booking in this...

Fortunately enough, since I've gotten my FTL (Star Alliance Silver) Status on Lufthansa, most airlines have been kind enough to at least try to keep a seat next to me free - as long as I'm travelling alone, that is - and as long as it's Economy Class...

bucchinij

Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:29 am

My mother bought round trip tickets for me and her from Paris to Washington, and back (the single way ticket was more expensive...) and on her way back, what would have been my seat was taken (I stayed in Washington, and she returned to Paris). If you don't check in, the seat will be taken by somebody else, especially if the flight is overbooked, and you can't check in twice.

phxmkeflyer

Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:34 am

Kathy Ireland  Love did this once on a flight from PHX-SBA

ryanb741

Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:16 am

I bought 2 tickets (one for me and one for a companion) on LH LHR-FRA and he couldn't make it. When I told the check-in agent that he wasn't coming she said there was no refund. Fine I told her, but as I had paid for the seat could I have it empty next to me? I was told this wasn't possible as the flight was overbooked and they would put someone else there. OK, fair enough I am not going to deprive someone from a flight when there was an empty seat but I told them that if they wanted to use that seat they would have to buy it back from me as I had paid for it and was entitled to have it even if it was empty. I was told there would be NO refund and NO empty seat and basically that I could go jump off a cliff. Even when I spoke to the manager I was told there would be no refund for that seat, even though I was willing to give up my empty seat for another pax as long as I was accordingly compensated.

You can see now why I refuse to fly LH again!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

TG992

Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:25 am

Here's a copy/paste from the airline I work for's Reservations Manual:

EXTRA SEAT PNR ENTRIES

Book the total number of seats required and enter:

* The passengers name and, if two seats are booked, enter EXST/A as the second name

* the passengers name and, if three seats are booked, enter EXST/A/B as the second and third names

* an EXST SSR and in free format enter the number of fares paid
eg 2 FARES PAID

* Name Qualifying Data EXST related to the passenger's name
(when issuing tickets)

-

Leskova

Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:35 am

Ryanb741, as annoying as your experience certainly will have been, I don't see a single airline on this planet reacting differently.

The only advantage on some carriers would have been that they would have allowed you to use the unused ticket as credit towards the purchase of a new ticket, something that LH does not do - but the "no refund, no free seat next to you and no compensation" theme would, most likely, have been equalled anywhere.

FlyboyOz

Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:17 am

You need to ask check-in staff to check your seat. They will help you to change your seat and then block the seat who sit next to you if they can control the reservation computer.

If you have any friends who work for the airlines, they will be happy to help you to block three seats. I have done this before. I got a plane ticket and I looked at the seat number 34C. I was suprised that I could not get a window seat but when I boarded the plane no one sit next to me! The plane was full and I got lucky to have three seats. I think if you select the aisle (Boeing 747 seat number with C and H eg 34C and 34H), then you can have three seats. The other check-in staff wont pick it for another pax if you're LUCKY!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

phxmkeflyer

Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:59 am

Ryanb741, Any airline not just LH would have done the same exact thing, as crappy as it may be there are a but-load of restrictions you agree to when you buy an airline ticket, many of which the traveler is not aware of. Unless your companion but an unrestricted ticket he/she is pretty much screwed.

Philaboy

Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:06 pm

Here's a story,

Earlier this year, flying Perth to Adelaide on a Qantas flight, I was put in seat 22D. A man, (presumably bussinessman as he was dressed in a suit and had a laptop) had bought seats 20A,B and C (to my knowledge from a F/A.) The woman in seat 22E was a little large, so her sister sitting in 22F asked me if I could move. I asked a F/A to re-locate me. The only seats empty were the ones 20 B and C. So after takeoff, the F/A moved me there. The man sitting in 20A, though he did not speak a word to me, he would often look over with dirty look. So, throughout the flight I did not know this, then the flight attendant asked me as I was leaving the aircraft (737-838 VH-VXQ), "did that gentleman say anything" i said no and she replied "he had asked me to keep these seats open for him" She was not the flight attendant to have moved me, so I guess that was a mis-communication. So, I ASSUME, he bought those seats since the flight was sold out

AR385

Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:58 pm

I read this anecdote. I can provide the complete sources later if anybody requires them.

John Lennon and Yoko Ono were flying on a PAn Am 707 from GIG to JFK on the 23th of December some year and they had a huge -almost- person size Teddy bear for their son. They purchased an extra seat for the bear. However, there was a brasilian non-rev who was lucky enough to send his family off to JFK the day before. Now, obviously the plane was full and no chance this guy would spend Christmans with his faimily. A courageous flight attendant against regulations, explained the situation to John and Yoko. They immediately agreed to stuff the bear in the hold and let the nonrev take the seat in their row. For some reason these storires move me. It speaks volumes about people.

AR385

godbless

Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:07 pm

I would like to see the face of a passenger that booked two seats for himself on Germanwings oder Ryanair... Even better if he/she had to pay something like 180EUR/Seat just to find out that there is free seating there.

Max

N754PR

Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:10 pm

You have to wonder if its the passenger you stopped getting the seat who's the lucky one.....
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

cschleic

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:04 am

There's the good point of what if the plane is partly empty? For a Sunday evening or something, you could probably count on it being full. Reminds me of passengers always clammoring to get upgraded to 1st class. A couple of days ago I was on a United flight. First was full, and the gate agent told a couple they wouldn't be seated together because they upgraded that day. But economy had only 20 or so passengers. Definitely not worth it.

starrion

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:29 am

I've done this for my flights from Boston to Narita and Boston to Hong Kong.

Our company allows business class seating for flight over 10 hours. Those tickets would have cost 6-7K and since we were doing internal comapany work, the trips would have to be scrubbed with cost that high. With two seats the cost was under 2k and gave me plenty of room. The flights to/from Hong Kong were booked solid, I had the only open middle seat. The To flight for Narita was booked heavily but there were a couple of open seats. The return was empty.

Both Delta and United refused to give mileage credit for the second seat.
Knowledge Replaces Fear

MEA310

Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:39 am

If it's a matter of more room,why spend money on buying the seat next to yours,buying a business or first class seat would be better;that makes more sense for me.

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

bistro1200

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:07 am

I wonder if you could book a ticket on Southwest and tell them you are huge and need 2 seats. Their policy is that if there are seats open, you get it refunded. Would that work for anybody? It would be nice to get a refund if there were open seats, although one would need a sign during boarding to keep the seat vultures as bay!
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos