767Lover
Topic Author

Children In First Class

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:04 am

First, no, I'm not anti-kids -- but how do you feel about children being in first class? Do you think it is appropriate to allow kids to be upgraded to first class?

[Edited 2003-11-10 20:05:15]

bucky707

RE: Do Children Belong In First Class?

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:05 am

if their parents are willing to pay for a first class ticket, then by all means they belong up there.

cdgdtw

RE: Children In First Class

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:09 am

Having a right to do something doesn't give you the right to do it. Yes, those willing to PAY for F/C are entitled but put yourself in the position of the passenger who has paid thousands to have the benefits of a premium cabin. You can't work or sleep because the children constantly scream and run around, slamming the lav door and playing with the seats.
There should be a policy but airlines are afraid to piss off those willing to pay higher fares. Shame.

artsyman

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:10 am

This is a dilemma for the airlines. As some have noted, if the kid is paid for, then how can you really say no. But you run the risk of alientating regular full fare passengers. The business man that pays 8 grand for his ticket, wants a nce nights sleep, in order to be rested for his meeting, and if a kid is screaming, running laps aroundthe cabin and throwing a tantrum (yes I have seen all of the above), then you have 43 pissed off passengers and a handful of pissed off staff, all so that a kid can ride first class.

I am for the no kids in first class rule.
Jer

jplenny

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:16 am

and if a kid is screaming, running laps aroundthe cabin and throwing a tantrum (yes I have seen all of the above), then you have 43 pissed off passengers and a handful of pissed off staff, all so that a kid can ride first class

What about adults that do this behavior in First Class. (Yes, I've seen that too)

USAFHummer

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:16 am

So the kid is supposed to sit in coach all alone next to complete strangers if his parents are in first??? If I had kids I wouldnt let them out of my sight like that on a plane filled with people whom I dont personally...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

joleb

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:18 am

where do you draw the line? at what age kids are not kids anymore?

i would say if their parents or themselves pay for it by all means go for it but if they disturb the other passengers i would throw them off the plane or in the back. simple and easy

767Lover
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:20 am

So the kid is supposed to sit in coach all alone next to complete strangers if his parents are in first???

Who says the parents have to sit in first?

USAFHummer

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:21 am

That last post was assuming the parents were in First...sorry for the confusion...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

jtamu97

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:24 am

I have to agree..I am not anti kids either, but on long haul flights I always pay for business or first for the peace and also comfort. On a flight last year from Atlanta to South Africa, there was a crying baby a few rows back of me and I was in Business Class. It about drove me nuts, but I just kept thinking, well the parents paid a premium, but still it was annoying. Anyways, I think airlines should adopt the exit row rule for first and business class pertaining to kids.
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

solnabo

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:30 am

Talking about "kids in 1st class":
Is it true that the group Oasis
are banned from Cathay, due
to pissed (drunk) as rats,
harassing other pax, throwing up
etc, etc?????
This happened about 2 years ago.

Michael/SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

StarFlyer

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:35 am

Even in the back there's people that pay a lot of money for their trip and thus, following some peoples arguments, kids should be banned altogether!
Personally I am no fan of crying babies but sometimes they need to travel with their parents. So no matter what class they travel in, they should be allowed to. After all, we were all crying little babies once upon a time.
Yours truly - StarFlyer

FlyingBanker

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:37 am

I think it is fine for children to be in First Class. I know some adults that I have sat next to in First Class that behaved worse then any 4 or 5 year old. Also I seem to remember it wasn't a child who used defecated on a service cart in UA First Class a few years ago. I think the same rules apply for children, as say taking them to a nice restaurant as long as the parent is in control and conscious of surrounding passengers....or patrons for this analogy, I am all for it.

gerardo

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:41 am

The risks of life: crying children  Insane

Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

jhooper

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:41 am

many kids sitting in first class are children of company employees. Even so, I don't see any problem with a kid sitting in first class. Why shouldn't they be allowed to, as long as they can behave?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

AR385

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:42 am

As a kid, I flew in First Class all the time, in many airlines, AF, BA, SAS, AR I never knew coach until I had to fend for myself (Quite a shock really). I tasted caviar when I was 4. I remember I spat it out. On another occassion, on an accident, I dropped a whole glass of scotch in a fellow passengers' shirt. My father gave him the money for it, although the gentleman was quite civilized and refused the money until he was really insisted to take it.

Once thing you need to know. Usually, even though your parents are in First with you, a steward will always keep an eye on you. Second, the things I saw adults do in those "sleeperettes" would make today's adult movies to shame. That's when the steward would come get me, usually. On a 747 we would go up and play cards in the galley

Now, next to you all who want kids treted inhumanely or taken their basic human rights away, why don't lock them in the toilet? They'll scream sure but you won't hear them.

I can't believe the things people would consider for a lousy 8,000 USD

AR385

andersjt

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:54 am

For me, you just hope that children are well behaved in any public situation, and you hope that parents have the sense to know when it is not the right time to take kids on the airplane. From experience as a flight attendant and passenger, kids are inevitable. Whether it is coach or first class, you hope against hope that the parent will parent.

This is a true story -

This was about 3 years ago, United First on a 3-cabin 777 from Denver to Los Angeles. A mother and her 8 or 9 year old daughter took their seats. I was guessing that they were not non-rev as they did board early.

We take off, and then we reach cruising altitude. With this flight, they were short a flight attendant, so instead of 2 in United First, only the Purser was working the front cabin. As soon as the "Fasten Seat Belts" sign is turned off, the little girl is up and in the galley talking to the purser. I have to give this Purser kudos as she was very patient.

Anyway, the Purser takes our dinner orders, and then brings out the drinks and snack mix. This was back when they closed the curtains on the galley, and while having our before dinner drinks, you could hear the Purser preparing the dinner trays. The little girl is in the galley the whole time. The Purser brings out the napkins to cover the tray tables to let us know she is bringing dinner out. A few minutes later, you find the little girl carrying out the dinner trays with the Purser pointing out which seat she is to take the tray to. I was a little taken by this, and I will have to say this young flight attendant in training didn't drop a tray, but isn't there some kind of rule violation here, particularly with alcohol being served in the cabin? The passengers in the cabin politely thanked the little girl, but you could telll they were a little miffed, as I was.

Just for laughs - if children are to be allowed in first class, should they be put to work so that they behave???
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

Coronado990

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:07 am

I think the question pertains to upgrades and the answer is NO!
If the pax wants to pay for it, well...it would be hard for the airline to turn down that kind of money.

However...If I could afford first class and had a baby to care for, I would definitely consider first class from a safety point of view. If an emergency evacuate took place, I would rather be in the less crowded section of the cabin where I can move around and get out quickly. Where you and your kid might have a fighting chance compared to a crowded coach section.
Uncle SAN at your service!

Airbus Lover

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:11 am

Depends what age you define as "kids".

Those babies that tends to cry a lot?

Or those 4 or 5 year olds that would be much more obedient?

Or those young passengers travelling alone? (up to age of 12)

or those unattended minors (up to the age of 15)?

I think it is sure fine for YPTAs and UMs to fly in first class. At MH, we tend to "upgrade" YPTAs and UMs to business or first before descent so then they could deplane easier and then be led from there.

I had always been flying Business alone as a YPTA years ago and at times when flying back from LAX I was upgraded to First to be on the main deck so the F/As could look after.

Some people (not anyone here) tend to dislike kids flying in First Class or Business as they think those are spoiled "kids" and they themselves are stuck in cattle class. I mean if their parents can afford it, why not?

txagkuwait

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:14 am

First of all, barring kids from a F cabin would be exposing a company to risks a lot more serious than aggravating their double-platinum zircon encrusted medallion members.

Airlines are "common carriers." That's why their unions are subject to "the railway labor act." That's why they are issued (or used to be, anyway) a "certificate of public convenience and necessity."

An airline can not discriminate against a child whose parents want to fork over the cash or the miles-required-to-upgrade. That's it, plain and simple.

Nobody wants to hear a child scream for the entire duration of a flight, and that goes for people sitting in either cabin. One of the earlier posters hit the nail on the head, though....crying children are a fact of life. Deal with it.

As far as the young lady assisting the FA...there may now be rules progibitng this, but 15 -25 years ago it was common practice for WN FAs to get a couple of kids to help them pass out packages of peanuts/almonds (yes, they served smoked almonds at one time) before the beverage service. This was usually accomplished with a great deal of fanfare and everyone seemed better for it.....the passengers were relieved that the kids on the plane were constructively engaged instead of hollering and/or kicking the seat in front of them, the kids passing out nuts felt real big to be helping the FAs, and the FAs were pouring and mixing drinks in the galley instead of passing out nuts. Win-win situation. haven;t seen it in quite some time, though, so there may be a liability issue or somebody complained.

mandala499

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:22 am

I paid for my P class seat, I expect for the cabin to be quiet.
The kids parent bought it also, so they expect the kids to be there.
However, this is unlike the seat recline debate... 1 crying kid can spoil more than one pax's day. A family of 4 with 4 fully paid P class tickets... ruining the travel experience of another 8 P Class pax... You gain the repeat business of 2 parents (those kids won't fly P class on their own money for a while) but loose 8... -6...

Responsible parents with responsible children are by all means welcomed... But what are the chances of a "Why can't you just shut up" set of parents with a bunch of "I hate everything so I cry and nothing can stop me" kids make it to the First Class? Not very often... However, there should be a guideline on dealing with those situation...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

NWAA330

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:45 am

From the ages of 5-15 I lived in Asia (Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo) due to my fathers job though I am originally from Detroit. My family (including my sister who is three years younger) often went on vacations and we usually took 20 flights a year to various destinations within Asia and back to the U.S. All but a handful of these flights were flown in either Business or First class (paid, upgraded, and FF mile tickets) on many different airlines and I can tell you that neither my sister or I ever presented a problem to other passengers or to the crew. On many flights domestically I have been upgraded as a teenager due to my elite status. Children flying in premium cabins are rare but, esp. on long haul flights are not out of the question. For the most part they are well be behaved from what I have seen, and though you may have one now and then that make a flight less bearable that's just tough, they paid just as much to be there as you did. On the subject of upgrading that obviously lies with the discretion of the airline employee. I don't think UM's should be upgraded necessarily but if you have a Gold elite child and a silver elite adult it only seems right that the child be the one upgraded. Some of you may say that you deserve that First Class seat more than they do. But now how about the little old lady seated in economy who, though more deserving, isn't going to get your seat. There cannot be a double standard. They should be treated like all other passengers, looked at merely by their type of ticket and loyalty to the airline.

NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

Tan Flyr

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:49 am

As for babies, TxAg Kuwait hit squarly..we were all babies once and everyone of cried on planes, trains or cars. So deal with it.

Now as for main/business/first class cabins.. as many of you I have seen it all. UM's not happy they are going to moms/dads/grandma's house. Plenty of parents that were totally oblivious to their childs behavior in any cabin have been on many flights also.

Now, If I can brag a bit.... a few years back when my son was 5 or 6 the 3 of us (myself, wife,son) were bumped up to first due to oversell in the main cabin. Yes, the staff took care of us perhaps because I am platinum. It was an appreciated gesture.

My son learned right then about a higher level of expected behavior in tthe front of the aircraft.( he knew what was expected in the main cabin also)

Since then I have taken him to the grandparents while I did some business in nearby cities...and we upgraded our selves for the return flights to L.A.

I can say without reservation he behaves better than some adults do up front ( or in any cabin) and has received compliments from cabin staff. (makes Dad proud)

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but he also is dressed nice when we fly...I believe it sets a tone of what is expected.

So, I will contine to take my son with me when I can, and I will have him sit up front with me for some longer domestic flights and have no qualms about it.

It is too bad that many children DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM!

Thanks for letting me brag a bit gentlemen!

gte439u

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:50 am

As TgAgKuwait stated, a blanket policy would indeed be discriminatory. I have very little sympathy for those who feel that children should be banned from first and business class. There is no right not to be annoyed in life, and, moreover, every passenger has the ability to ask the parents to control their children.

Finally, there are more rich parents in the world than one may think, and airlines do not want to upset a family of five paying full P/J/F/C fare.

rb211

Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:05 am

I like it when children are in first class. I watch their amazement with the aircraft, looking out of the window, and getting all of the attention from the flight attendants, and remember what it was like when I was their age. Heck I still ask for pilot wings and little do-dads. I can't stand to fly with infants!!
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

planesarecool

Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:23 am

You say that they can't sit in First class, but then why should they be allowed sit in economy? Then again, its a bit unfair if they cannot fly at all.

If anyone read my trip report ages ago about my flight from LAX (economy). I had a baby behind me who mucked on the seat. And then the baby was screaming and crying all flight (Along with the "window seat with out a window," the v:port "box" covering up half my leg room, my PTV remote crashing etc). I suppose that First class is a different matter, but you still pay a reasonable amount to fly in Economy as well.

Being 13 myself, i feel that I (and probably most other 13 yr olds) would probably be sensible in first class. I think that under 8 yr olds should not be allowed in First. But we were all children once, and we can't exactly help how they behave. Mixed thoughts.

-Stephen

767Lover
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:29 am

What if you couldn't be upgraded to first class because there were no more seats available...and when you boarded you discovered some of the seats were taken by children?

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:40 am

Being in a plane (no matter what class you're in) is like being in any other public place. Kids cry all the time in public places. It's a fact of life. Everyone in this forum I'm sure has annoyed other people by simply being a kid and doing what kids do. Having said that, I flew first class from India to Boston when I was eight years old, and I was probably happier and better behaved there than I would have been in economy. I mean, you have to take their behavior with a grain of salt, because who knows who you annoyed by crying/whining/whatever when you were their age? I certainly don't know who I annoyed. So if we ban them from first class, we may as well keep them locked in the house.
~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Coronado990

Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:42 am

A little crying can be handled. Most infants fall asleep right after take-off anyway. It's the "muck" that's a little hard to take.
Uncle SAN at your service!

cancidas

Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:35 am

i only encountered this dilema once. i was sitting in the row behind a mother and her kid with my gf and was trying to sleep. the kid kept runing about and hitting the seats. i looked forward and saw the mother was pretty tired and pregnant as well. i suggested to her that if she were to give the kid a glass of wine that it should knock him out for a while. sure enough, it worked.

i feel that flying first class is not only about paying for the ticket. there is a certain way of behaving up there. i feel that airlines should make this kind of information known to those who buy the tickets.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:05 am

Some of the arguements here are asinine. Those in coach don't deserve to have it any less quiet than those up front. Oh, and I'm not sure, but last time I checked, the Contract of Carriage never said anything about a quiet cabin. Some people are very high on themselves around here...

Airbus Lover

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:14 am

"What if you couldn't be upgraded to first class because there were no more seats available...and when you boarded you discovered some of the seats were taken by children?"

Thats bs. What have you got that should have you upgraded but not the kid?

Maybe because the kid had a full fare First class paying ticket? Now what is the problem of being richer than others and being able to afford flying your kids in first or business?

Lets see, if you were on staff travel and found that you couldnt be upgraded but yet the seats were occupied by "children", shouldn't we think why were they allowed in those seats while we're not? Most likely because they were travelling with parents or travelling alone on a premium class ticket.

Or you were wanting to upgrade to a higher class using your miles. Then hey, you must remember you are merely using your miles, while the fare paying pax generate revenue for the airline!

But if you were also paying for say Business but it was overbooked in business (rare but it does happen) and couldn't be accomodated.. well then i think the first come first serve policy applies here. Besides, if you are paying for higher class, there shouldn't be any reason you can't be accomodated really. You should even have your seats assigned in advance, unless you show up too late for check in. or if the child was also on staff travel or free award tickets, then again, first come first serve. By no means should any adult be given priority or priviledge simply due to age.

Finally, it is totally fine for a young passenger to be travelling up front. Being younger doesn't mean they lose the priviledge to sit up front, especially when they are paying for it while you are not.

note that I define the children here not as infants. But maybe a 5-15 year old. Also note my term, "young passenger" as being the teenagers. I have no opinions myself on infants travelling up front and is agreeing with some of the posts here with various strong points for and against it.

CLEspotter

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:17 am

What age do you consider Kids? When I was 12 or something and I could get an upgrade or I paid for it you know i would be up there........

Also some people I know are in the 10th and 11th grade of High school here in the States but they are all from Saudi or India. They have 8 first class tickets. They have every right to be there but what will the flight crew thing? I big group of Muslins in first class? THey are flying NWA from DT on the new A330s.

767Lover
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:21 am

It's not the quietness or loudness that makes this a controversial issue for me. It's more about the allocation of premium resources -- big seats, more legroom, better food -- and essentially "wasting" those resources on passengers who can't appreciate having more leg room or better food. Most kids are picky eaters anyway so having the food in first class vs. coach isn't as big a deal to them. They can't drink the free alcohol. The legroom in coach is more than enough for them. So should youngsters be given these premium seats when there are adults "in line" for them?

Airbus Lover

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:39 am

767 please read reply number 31 and 32!!!

If they can afford it then why not?! Nothing about wasting resources really. So what if they dont use up those legroom? They felt like paying the extra. Whats the problem there? I dont see any!

They cant drink the free alcohol? Not like the airline will HAVE to pour it. They will keep it anyways. and when i flew JL, when i refused to drink onboard, they gave me small bottles (sample-sized) of them to bring home as souveneir, that was a nice touch. Anyways, back to the topic... Picky eaters? Well they paid for it and if they were really to waste it then so be it. Not like many adults that I have seen in Business class actually finished their meals anyways.

Again, what is so special of you that you can enjoy premium class while kids cant?

Adults are "in line" for it? Are they paying for it. You pay for what you get, simple as that. If you don't wanna pay just maybe becoz u cant afford it or if you dont feel the need for the extra bucks, fine. But don't rant about those who wants to pay the extra for a better flight.

If the adult is also fare paying, then read my previous reply. It is sure a first come first serve thing. Normally on premium classes, your seats would normally be allocated in advance anyways.

"Legroom in coach is more than enough for them". Ummm does it matter?

What you are saying sounds like we should just remove those children and place some adults from economy into their seats! The youngsters' seats are not given to them, they are either paid for or also travelling on free ticket or staff travel but happened to have checked in before you.

"You" in my post generally means the opposition, not necesasrily 767lover.

CLEspotter

Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:51 am

Airbus Lover....welcome to my resp user list. Amen to that!

767Lover
Topic Author

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:02 am

I guess I've always taken the "I don't need the extras...let someone else have them who needs them more" approach to things but I see your point. I've heard complaints about this from a couple of people (and it was once a point of controversy for a Delta exec whose kids were flying First but that may have been more because they were non-rev) and I was wondering what people thought.

wgw2707

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:06 am

This topic is based on unsound, mildly selfish arguments.

To begin with, anyone willing to pay for the cost of a premium class ticket and who is legally allowed to fly should be entitled to sit in a premium cabin. The airlines would loose revenue if they were to deny parents the right to place their children up front. Many parents are deeply concerned about their children's health, safety, security and comfort while travelling on board an airplane, and if the parent can afford to buy for their offspring a premium ticket, then by all means, they should feel free to do so.

With regards to upgrading a younger passenger to the premium cabin, why should a passenger who has been consistantly loyal to the airline, who has flown that airline many, many times and accumulated a high status within the frequent flyer program, be denied an upgrade to the premium cabin on account of age? For instance, why should a Gold Elite child be shunned into the Y class cabin to allow a pompous, 45 year old Silver Elite businessman to sit up front? That would be blatant discrimination.

Now about the potential of the child to misbehave and cause difficulties, passengers of any age sometimes engage in inappropriate behavior while onboard. While it is definitely annoying to have a screaming baby or misbehaving child in the same cabin that you are flying in, why should us poor peons travelling in Y class have to endure all of it? Do we have any less right to a comfortable flight than the elites up front? I frequently endure some long, difficult journeys in coach, and from my point of view, that of the coach traveller who just wants a pleasant, economic flight, requiring all children to fly back in the Y class cabin would be unfair to us. Especially when a child previously allowed to fly upfront began to complain loudly about the unpleasant change...

Finally, I would like to close by pointing out that travelling in a premium class cabin on an airline is no different than doing so on any other means of transportation. When you travel by train, up in first class, you might encounter younger passengers. When you travel on a cruise ship, there will be kids in the staterooms with verandahs as well as in the interior cabins. The fact that some passengers, young or old, will act in an inappropriate manner, is unfortunate. Airlines, like any transport companies, should be quick to reprimand disorderly passengers, and should deplane them if neccessary. However, barring all young passengers from the premium cabins or discriminating against them with regards to upgrades because of the misbehavior of a few would be unfair, unprofitable and unwise.

-WGW2707

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:10 am

one word: Benadryl

give the little bastard one of these or a half of one depending on body weight and they will be groggy for at least 8 hours, and most likely asleep. I have even been known to do this to myself sometimes, it makes my girlfriend more bearable.

CO2BGR

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:25 am

1.) If the kid is quiet, who cares, let them sit there. Just because you are upgrade happy and the kid paid full fare dosent mean you should sit there. You paid for a coach seat you should expect to sit there and be thankful if you are in first.

2.) If the kid is behaving like he should be in the belly, No.

Story:
I have travled non-rev for most of my travels. I was once travling with my younger brother from florida about two years ago ( he was about 13 at the time) in first. He was not behaving and talking nonsense a lot, so I escorted him to coach and we sat there for the rest of the flight. I told the F/A to find someone that was more deserving of the fiest seat. I was then offered 2 first seats on our connecting flight and I declined them as I knew what could happen.

Moral:
If the kid is not behaveing, the parents should take care of it. If they dont, do not hesitate to ask them to behave. If it is bad, the F/A should ask them to stop. After that, I'm not sure what I would do.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Airbus Lover

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:43 am

CLEspotter, thanks!

I am glad I have made my point and it has been understood!

Didnt take too long to explain though. I suddenly felt I have a lot to write because I felt like it was an issue that I am very familiar with, myself being a character in such an issue that I may be perceived differently by others lol.. Just voicing my thoughts!  Big grin

Thought I did better in this than my English paper  Big thumbs up

[Edited 2003-11-11 02:43:45]

AR385

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:46 am

Here's a suggestion:

Charter a private plane, without any of that angel flight crap, an you;ll have have a kid's free environment.

AR385

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:54 am

If the parents are paying for a First Class fare, then I have no problem allowing their kid(s) in First. I do draw the line at non-rev children. Time and time again I see screaming non-rev kids up front with their parents. All mommy and daddy do is either ignore it or say , "Shhh Shhhh there there." They then go on to try and reason with a 6 month old. Business pax pay huge sums of money to sit in First class to get away from loud children. If the kids are revenue that's on thing. But I believe allowing non-rev kids up front will hurt the bottom line. I know AA has an age limit for employee's children. UA has none...

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:01 am

I am for the no kids in first class rule.

Here's a shocker: I agree with you!!  Smile  Smile

I flew an LAX-DTW flight that departed at 2AM... sat next to a young girl, about 5-years-old (her parents were in the row next to her)... she screamed when I pulled down the window shade, insisted on putting her feet on the seat to paint her toenails, played with all the buttons in sight... never again.

I won't bring my 5-month-old into First, and she's well-behaved (genetics! LOL).

AR385

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:25 am

I flew once (full fare) on Co's BusinessFirst from GIG to IAH via EWR (9 hours on a DC-10) I arrived at EWR at 5Am got the treatment from the (INS) and went to CO's President's Club. After being there for 3 hours, we boarded my connection to Houston. Parenthesis here. Since it was 1999 and the 777 was the Peter Max one I guess I was lucky. Back to the story. By now almost my 15 hrs of travel were getting to me and I was ready to kill anymone. I sat on my BusinessFists seat and what happens? I get a girl behind whose main IFE was kicking my back. Her dad was sitting next to her. After a while of putting up with that I simply got up and told politely the FA my story. She came over and quietly related my story to the Father. He simply changed seats with the mother and sent the girl with the (I guess 20 year old brother) after a stern warning. No drama, everything solve like it shoul be in a civilized place with cicvilized people.

AR385

n949wp

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:25 am

Put the tykes in the cargo hold!!

jeffrey1970

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:26 am

TxAgKuwait,

You have it right. I am a parent myself. I too don't enjoy it when my child cries. However it happens so I try and deal with it the best way I can. As for those business travelers in first class or business class, I am sure many of them have children, and I am sure there kids have cried many times in the past. I realize everyone wants things to be just like they want them when they are on an airplane, or that matter anywhere. While there are certain situations that you have a right to stand up too, like poor service. However sometimes there are situations when there is not much you can do. If a parent has paid for first class tickets or business class tickets for them and there child, you can't make them move just because they are crying. If they are creating a safety hazard then you can probably do something. However for those that do not like the fact of children flying in First class or business class, I say grow up and accept the fact that they are there. After all, I do not believe that any one passenger is more important then another.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff

p.s. I am perplexed by this website at times. So many people on here love aviation, but yet I read comments at times from some people on here how they don't like to fly with kids, or they don't like to fly with people who are "Walmart shoppers" or they don't like to see people on planes who are not dressed right. I guess I am a bit of an idealist but I love flying so much, that I want everyone of all kinds to feel welcome on a flight (well not terrorist though).
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

9V-SPK

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:31 am

I was once in F with my parents, and another passenger on a flight from SYD to SIN. There were 16 seats in F and when I thought there'd be no more passengers a Saudi Arabian family with 6 children, their parents and I assume their servants were also passengers in F for that flight.

Surprisingly, the kids were not as noisy as I might have expected, just that they really like to walk around the 744 cabin, other than that nothing much happened, which shows that kids could be very well-behaved, even in terms of larger quanitity! And I do beleive some kids are very well-mannered out there, including me when I was young.

On moy other flights, I don't really find children annoying in F. I actually have much more bad experience in Y when children suddenly burst into teats when I'm trying to get some sleep. Maybe they should be banned from flying.

Cheers

JeffM

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:43 am

Maybe they should just keep people from Georgia out of 1C...?

Business 101 Ms.... He who pays the price, gets the goods. Does that clear things up?

~Jeff

CO2BGR

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:46 am

I am sure on most flights there are pore people in coach trying to get some rest than in first. If you want to ban kids in first so that they dont bother people, using the same logic you should also ban kids from coach, effectivly banning them from air travel.

The most pain in the a*s passenger that I have had to deal with was not a child, but a pompus, diamond elite which some of you seem to be.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds