myk

Leaving The Jetplane

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:14 am

So, imagine that you just boarded the Plane. You are well seated. The FA close the Doors. But just in that moment, you decide that you can't take this plane, whatever the reasen.

My question is : Once the doors closed, but before taxiing, is it possible to decide to leave the plane ? (even if it will be a big mess and a delay for the pther passengers)

jtamu97

RE: Leaving The Jetplane

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:27 am

I am sure it is possible to "decide" to leave, but actually getting off may be a different story. Just think about all those people years ago, who were stranded on a Northwest jet I think who were unable to deplane.
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

myk

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:32 am

never heard about the NW story ? Can you tell me more ?

jhooper

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:35 am

sure, there are ways to get you off the plane, just by saying certain things....but you might be wearing metal jewelry around your wrists.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Aircanada

Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:48 am

I believe the NW incident was that an NW plane couldn't get a gate, or something like that, and all the pax were stuck on the plane for 3 hours. When they asked if they could leave, they were told NO. I believe the pax filed a suit for unlawful confinement...but the details escape me.

As far as leaving the plane if you want to, once the doors are closed, the captain has complete authority over the matter. While it's never happened to me, as long as we haven't reached sterile cockpit, we have to call the captain and it's up to him to turn the plane around or not.

Regards,
Andrew.

kilavoud

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:01 am

Hi Myk,

But just in that moment, you decide that you can't take this plane, whatever the reason.

I guess you would be asked the reason by a FA for your suddenly deciding to deplane. As you have accepted to board the plane, to take your seat, it seems logical that the Captain, once informed of that unusual case, should take the final decision, not you.

That's only my point of view.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

kilavoud

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:27 am

Hi again Myk,
A smell of burning in the plane would be a sound reason to deplane before taxiing. I know it by experience as the Captain of my plane decided a few years ago in LHR that all the passengers had to deplane.
Regards. Kilavoud

mandala499

Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:28 am

Here are a few ways which I nor anyone recommend... but yes, some of these have been tried...

1. Pretend you forgot to switch off your handphone... make a quick quiet call for a friend to call you back to tell you someone's deceased... get the purser to talk to your friend... Yes someone tried this and gotaway with it... because someone the pax know would be dead in a few hours after the incident... The pax was worried about leaving town while that person was dying... Some have lied and paid the price...

2. Just run for the emergency exit and open the exit... Yes you'll get off, but you'll get a slapping huge bill at the end... let alone a ban from the airline or maybe some sky marshall would have shot you beforehand.

3. Pretend to be a terrorist... This one is definitely NOT recommended. I'd recommend you stick with the flight and live with it than spending time wishing you can escape Gitmo bay!

Don't try any of these...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jetsetsteve

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:08 am

The NW story started with a really bad snow storm at DTW. the people where on the plane for more than 3 hours i think it was like 12 or somthing. the lavs where overflowing, the potable water ran out. it was a real big mess for NW and after that congress passed a Pax bill of rights.

As far as getting off the plane after you have seated world raise alot of eyebrows. But after alot explaining i'm sure it they would let you but alot of people will be mad.

FutureCEO

Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:42 pm

It would be a huge delay for an airline if someone did that. First of all they would have to pull the jetbridge back up to the aircraft and open the door. Then they would have to pull the persons baggage off the plane (Imagine how long this would take on a full 747). Then they would most likely have to do deplane all the passengers and do a security sweep of the aircraft just to make sure all the carry-ons are accounted for and nothing else is left on board from that passenger. And after that is all finished they would have to re board all the passengers, which would take longer than normal because some may have lost their boarding passes etc.. I would HATE to be working that flight.

Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos