PLL-LOT

AA STL-IND

Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:55 pm

I was checking schedules and noticed that all IND service on AA from STL is now on ATRs or Jetstreams. There is no mainline service at all between these two cities anymore. I assume the same is happening at CVG on AA. Is the reduction in service to these cities a part of AA's downsizing at STL? Is STL quickly just becoming a small commuter hub with a few mainline nonstops? Thanks for any and all responses.

AA7573E

RE: AA STL-IND

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:01 pm

Suggest you run a search on this thread topic. It has been discussed every possible way. I've attached one of the more complete threads for you.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1250844/6/

See you up front!

JetboyTWA

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:22 am

That really irks me considering that TWA once ran 757s, even the occasional L-1011 Tristar on that route. What a shame!

Ryan

UPSfueler

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:15 am

I thought that AA moved the ATRs south after 4184 crashed. I always thought they moved them out of the cold weather because of iceing problems, and STL and IND do get snow.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:19 am

I thought that AA moved the ATRs south after 4184 crashed. I always thought they moved them out of the cold weather because of iceing problems, and STL and IND do get snow.

This isn't American. This is Trans States Airlines, doing business as American Connection.

All of the American Eagle ATRs are now operated by Executive Airlines under their own operating certificate at Miami and San Juan. This was in order to dodge some scope clause limitations that are no longer a factor... all the ATRs (too many seats to fit under scope) were shipped off to Executive and spun off from the rest of Eagle. The airline was put up for sale, but with no buyers.

All of the ATRs originally went south after the 4184 crash in Roselawn for just the first year or two. Simmons Airlines operated these ATRs and moved them to Dallas, swapping them with their Saabs. Dozens of DFW Saab crews spent the following months in Chicago during what they called the "winter of discontent." Simmons managed to carry out this swap pretty quick. As soon as the ATRs were recertified for operations in wintry conditions, they were returned to Chicago where some remained operating until ORD Eagle went all jet in 2000/2001.

LambertMan

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:44 am

Jetboy, you point out that TW once ran 752's between the two cities, they did in a way. The flight was basically a really short stop in STL(like 40 min)and a flight that continued onto SNA.
Here is the fact of the matter with STL-IND. There aren't many O/D pax on this route to justify a mainline A/C on the route anymore, and there are not enough connection opportunities available, so it beats the purpose of using anything bigger than an ATR on the route because well, they can't fill anything bigger. My friend was flying IND-STL-LAX and he said his plane was like 30% full going to STL. However he said the 752 was jam packed Big thumbs up. Hence the fourth flight coming online!