Philaboy
Topic Author

Varig In Australia

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:25 am

I know Lan Chile and Aerolineas Argentinas are the only south American airlines flying to Australia, but is it possible that Varig might start flying to Australia? I know odds are it probably won't happen, but what if it did.
GRU-EZE-AKL-SYD?
GRU-EZE-AKL-MEL?

airbrasil

RE: Varig In Australia & India

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:29 am

I think Varig first need to get back in track on its existing routes and go back to HKG... Yesterday in the news Varig was mentioned to start service to New Delhi as Brasilian president Lula, wants to increase trade between India-Brasil.
Daniel

LHR001

RE: Varig In Australia

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:32 am

In a very far off land perhaps!

Not anytime soon!

Varig and its ever present financial problems are stopping a lot of plans from becoming reality!

Los Angeles is dropping left and right!

100 pax one day!

220 the next day!

75 the day after!

The United States is enforcing new Visa requirement for people transitting U.S. which means Varig will have to invest in an alternate gateway to Asia!

In addition the ever hot topic if Varig and TAM will merge...

Wait and see, changes are sure to be in the works!

Philaboy
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:32 am

Varig back in Hong Kong, that would be nice. ImaginE the pax loads with a flight like HKG-SYD-AKL-EZE-GRU. Loads from Southeast asia and Australia on varig to brazil. Surely that would be a pax flight. anyway, im glad to hear brazil and india are talking about trade

Lan_Fanatic

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:41 am

HKG-SYD-AKL-EZE-GRU...

That would be a looooooong flight.

I hope LanChile inaugurates some flights to Asia....that'd be great.

airbrasil

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:43 am

Hong Kong and Beijing are two cities that along with New Delhi you all will see service to. Speaking with a ops agent at GIG, Varig is looking to create a small base in FRA (for crews) only, just like they had the base at HKG for a few years. I spent 6 months in HKG while flying on the 26 hour flgiht from HKG-BKK-JNB-GRU-GIG... it would be nice to have something similar again.. Daniel

latinaviation

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:59 am

I had no idea RG had a HKG base ... was it for cabin crew only? I flew RG in First Class on the MD-11 GRU-MIA and boy that cabin was small (1 row) for a flight just to Miami, let alone all the way to HKG.

VRG772

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:05 am

That would be great to have Varig flying to Australia. But as already mentioned, Aerolineas Argentinas and Lan Chile have flights to there. I think it's a good number of flights form Australia to South America. Somebody who wants to go from Australia to Brazil has two choices, and then can make a connection in Argentina or Chile to Brazil (then you can choose Aerolineas Argentinas, Lan Chile, Varig, TAM...). A third flight from Australia to South America would be with a very low load factor.
To have this third flight, first is needed to increase trades between Australia and countries from here, South America.

About HKG, is more probable to have Varig restarting flying to there, than to Australia. There are no flights from HKG to South America, and also for the economy and tourism between South America and Hong Kong, this would be a good flight. And Varig has already operated this flight with success, which means that it would be easier than going to Australia.
Beijing is also a very good destination that Varig could fly to. The thread between Brazil and China is increasing more and more and there's a big Chinese community in Brazil.

Let's see if there's going to be those new routes.

Julio Big thumbs up
Decolagem Autorizada.

airbrasil

RE: Varig In Australia - HKG

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:49 am

VARIG had about 40 crewmembers based in HKG in a rotation of 6 months. They were flying to BKK-JNB 3 times a month. The inalgural flight was actually ton the PP-VPI 747-400.. good old days for VARIG... Also Varig hired about 15 chinese flight attendats many ex-Dragonair to fly on that route as well... They all went to Rio for training and some Portuguese lessons... Fun times..

Daniel

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos