Moolies
Topic Author

WHO Cares About First Class

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:25 am

Why are so many people obsessed with first class. They go on about young people or old people or handicaped people and then is it with it, then first class vs. biz jet.

Its a plane seat for crying out loud. Yes it is cool to fly it and it is more comfortale and the all the extra cool stuff but its a seat.

Trust me I have been in First Class its just a bigger seat.

kl911

RE: WHO Cares About First Class

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:32 am

Moolies,

I've flown in all classes, and I cannot understand why somebody would pay for First class. Even trans-atlantic Business was fine when I had to go to work straight after arriving. I think first class is only ment for super rich persons who don't give a damn about others, otherwise they would donate their difference in the fare between business and first to charity. I'm a tall guy, and I have no problem with business class to work and sleep. So don't give me the cheap excuse like, I'm to tall, I need rest, I need to work tomorrow.
First class is nothing but a very expensive toy for spoiled businessmen......

Leskova

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:34 am

And you get more space to sleep - but, in the end, that's really it... I don't mind paying the extra price for Business, but the added extra for First? No, not really...

And I fully agree with your other comments - it's a seat on a plane, not the place where you'll be spending the next few years of your life...
Smile - it confuses people!

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:35 am

Only somebody who rarely gets the opportunity to fly within the premium cabin(s) would make these comments.  Smile

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:36 am

No it aint. What i was complaing about was every one was ranting and raving about First.

Tell you what do you pay for First or does your business?

For the worlds top businessmen its a great thing to get on board eat and crash. The US airlines dont differentiate that well between first and business with regard to service.

When you pay your own First then say things. Or try this when you pay your own First even thou your company would but because you aint stuck up. then talk to me.

Sabena332

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:38 am

I never flew in First Class and it seems that I have to wait until I get an upgrade to fly in it. I agree with Leskova and KL911, Business is already comfortable enough, in January this year I flew EWR-LHR on BA in Business, and I asked myself why to hell they also have a First Class, BA's Club World had full-flat beds, delicious food and excellent service.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Moolies
Topic Author

WHO Cares About First Class

I wasnt saying its extra or blah blah but morons bringing up things should children be allowed in first or should eldrely?

If they pay for it like every one else does and behave then why not?

eg. About 12 years ago Lufthansa wouldnt allow children under 12 in their first cabin. Well they lost my familys business.

airbazar

First is cool because most people who travel in First class don't actually pay for it  Smile

ConcordeBoy

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:39 am

um, the entire population of FlyerTalk.com... for the purpose of meaning in their lives  Laugh out loud

On a more serious note... simple answer for a simple question: those who can and do pay for it.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

gigneil

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:40 am

I only fly first when the company allows it, i.e. when I have to bounce right up and head straight to a meeting.

Try flying constantly trans-Pacific and then say first isn't worth it.

N

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:40 am

I have been in Club and First, there is a differnece, it is just such a step up from economy that it is wow.

When you are 60 and have worked 14 hours a day for many years of you life and have made millions and you want to fly first why not?

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:41 am

''First is cool because most people who travel in First class don't actually pay for it''

I wonder why so many companies are in financial trouble..........

GSPSPOT

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:41 am

All I know, is that I flew Business Class (defacto First) ONCE transatlantic, and it's been hard to go back to Economy. After the service I experienced (on CSA), I can't see how anyone who could possibly afford to fly that way wouldn't every chance they get!

Gee, let me think.... Would I rather be fed well, have stretch out room, and arrive fresh, or be cramped crowded, hot, barely fed, and sore when I arrive. Hmmm what a hard choice.....
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:43 am

when you pay for first and when your company you work for is a huge difference.

You need to have a lot of money and have worked very hard to pay for first otherwise dont bother to try and be with the seriously successful especially when you aint paying.

MD11Lover

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:46 am

If i had the money to fly first class, i would definitely do it. There is a big difference b/w First and coach and i would love to be served fine food, champagne and relax on a large comforable seat. Those people who can afford it, have obviously worked hard, so why not treat yourself to some luxury?

Md11lover

cambrian

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:48 am

I am one of those rare people who actually pay for their own first class ticket.

It is expensive, but I think it is normally worth the extra, simply for the extra space. I agree that the service is often not worth the extra money. Often the service that you get is inverse to the money that you pay for the ticket...

My major gripe about 1st class is that airlines are not consistent in their product.

BA has to be the worst offender. Their First Class product ex LHR is 100 times better than their First Class ex LGW, but the fares are sky high, running into thousands of pounds. These "bucket and spade" routes are BA's Cinderella routes.

My understanding is that yields in the premium cabins are pretty healthy on their Caribbean routes. When will BA realise that if you can afford to pay first class to fly to Barbados for a holiday, there is a strong likelihood that you take other first class flights during the year?

I wish that someone could explain this!!!

ConcordeBoy

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:48 am

You need to have a lot of money and have worked very hard to pay for first

Firstly, I'd like you to specify as to whether you're using the term "First" to generically describe any premium cabin? Or if you're using it to mean suite-quality actual international 1st class layouts.

If the former, then your statement isnt always correct: e.g., DL; on whom a leisure traveler can easily find I-fares of $2100.00 or less for roundtrip BusinessElite travel to most destinations in Europe.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Leskova

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:50 am

Actually, after 4 long-haul-returns (11+ hour flights) within the last 4 months , of which I had to fly one in economy, got to fly two in business and flew one in first, I think I can make comments like the ones I've made without having to give out extra justifications...

As I've said above: the extra for Business, I'll pay, although I admit that, when I fly on my own money, I'll usually book eco and upgrade through miles - the company I work for, which I own, pays for Business Class - and the company I do consulting work for does, too.

The amount that comes above the Business Class fare for First is, in my opinion, not required.

Admittedly, I'm no regular in First Class, but having spent over 24 hours in LH First between 02OCT and 06OCT, I can say that - although it's nice - First is not something I'm willing to pay for.

Especially with all those nice new Business Classes around...

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:55 am

when i say First i mean First class.
The one with between 8-12 seats in the cabin.

Althou I am still young I have been very fortunate to have flown first on many occassions due to my fathers hard work and determination.

He turns 60 at the end of this year and he still works from 8-8 with no lunch break.

For all is determination he has built up a business worth $ hundreds of millions and flies first and affords that luxury to his children. Now is a man who turns 60 this year and still works 12 hours a day not entitle to spend his own money and fly first with his family if he likes?

When he goes on business he even pays for his own ticket. If he books online and doesnt get his business to pay him back.

Now I would like any one to tell me that he doesnt deserve to fly first or that first for him is a waste?

cambrian

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:56 am

Once you have turned left on an aircraft, you can never go back!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:02 am

''I only fly first when the company allows it, i.e. when I have to bounce right up and head straight to a meeting.''

Even for this purpose Business class will be sufficient considering the enormous price difference and the small difference in quality compared to the price. ( and my own experience). Better spend your money on something usefull. It's only between 8 and 14 hours of your life!!

Like I said before: It's a toy for spoiled people who need their 'status'..

ahlfors

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:04 am

Well, I've never paid for premium class. I've gotten upgraded a few times due to overbookings. However, this Christmas I'm flying AF/DL/JM GVA-CDG-JFK-ANU, and on the JFK-ANU, I was for some reason booked in First Class at a definitely not First class price for that routing ($1200 US Europe-Caribbean outbound during the blackout weekend before Christmas, inbound during the blackout weekend after New Year's). But hey, I'm not complaining.

rb211

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:04 am

Most businesses pay for their people to fly first class. It's a business expense which equals tax deduction. I have only paid for premium class seats when I wanted to go all out and do something special for my wife. Other than that, my company foots the bill. I mean really, how many people do you know THAT WORK will pay up to $30,000 for a plane ticket?
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

qantas777

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:05 am

First on long-haul ie 8+ hrs is quite nice to have. However, when you are taking shorter flights, its stupid.

I think business is fine and even the econ plus on BA is nice to have especially when you have a huge tailwind.

Leskova

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:06 am

Cambrian, I have to agree with you - one of my toughest flights this year was the one on which I flew eco for 12 hours each way just two weeks after flying the same route in first class... that was kinda rough...

But, I survived...  Wink/being sarcastic

Moolies, I do not think that anyone on this forum is trying to say that first class is a waste for your father - or that he does not deserve flying first: folks around here are expressing their personal opinions and, as I expect not too many around here know your father, I seriously doubt that anyone here was trying to make such decisions for him... after a life of hard, and succesful, work, I think you are entitled to fly just the way you like: should that be first class, then I think you are absolutely entitled to that - just as I personally would not second guess those who decide to fly economy class after just such a life...

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:07 am

''Now I would like any one to tell me that he doesnt deserve to fly first or that first for him is a waste?''

It's a waste! If you don't know what to do with your money anymore, give it to charity or something.....

I know many people who work as hard as your father does and who can't even afford a car or holiday........... Working in a russian cole mine is hardworking, but I never see them fly First.......

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:09 am

Need their status I hardly would call a man who drives a $10000 car who flies in first needing his status. and also goes to work in jeans and a golf shirt, yeah he really needs his status.

Also KI911 I think that deep down your jealous of people why fly first cause you cant afford to.

Also on a plane people dont know ur name and in economy you never see who is in first.

Also weather you fly first or economy you get to your destination at the same time so why not save your company money and not fly first or business but ratehr economy. Read what i said earlier about my father.

Also if you have to head straight to a meetin gthen catch an earlier flight.

One last thing what if you already have everythin gyou want and need it life what do you spend your money on then?

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:16 am

Moolies,

I'm not jealous and my posts are not aimed at your father.

First of all, If I want to fly first, I can. But I won't.. I've found out that in business class the meals are much bigger.  Laugh out loud

Second, you asked a question and I gave you my answer. Like I said before , even if you have so much money, it's not worth it. better send it to warchild or any other organisation that helps (war) victims.

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:21 am

You dont understand. If first aint worth it why do you upgrade when you have to get to a meeting in a hurry? you get there in the same time.

I said why do peopel make such a big deal about first i didnt say which class do you fly in. I dont see you flyign economy on business and giving your money to war children.

One other thing often the none stuck up people in first are the ones with the biggest pockets, they dont have time to help poor people but they give money to them.

AMM744

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:23 am

Having said all this, First Class is hugely overrated, exceptions being Singapore, BA, Emirates etc.

Simple maths tells us that First is roughly ten times as much as Coach, a round trip LHR-LAX is about $5000.00 in First and $500.00 in coach. Now really is First ten times better in every single aspect?...Absolutely not.

For the extra $4500.00 you get a seat that folds into a tight single bed, upgraded food and wine and of course pampering by some brown noser FA.

Business Class is the product that airlines should continue to promote and upgrade and as a result it will become more affordable to us all.

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:25 am

AMM744 you ever been in First?

Ever heard of lounges and the cost of them?

Sure maybe you do subsidise economy with first as some pople cliam.

But as i said about the previous person, it is generally guys who just cant quite cut it complain about it. They go on about they can truly afford.

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:28 am

''I dont see you flyign economy on business and giving your money to war children.''

We actually do since a year and a half in our company. 50 percent of the money saved by not flying First intercontinental, or Business within europe, goes to charity and it helps the company in those difficult times which will benefit us later when the wind changes.......I hope....

prebennorholm

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:29 am

When I have two Porsches and a handful of expensive SUVs - one of every brand - in my garage, and my bank advisor has run out of ideas how to make new investments, then I will consider flying first class, just for fun.

If my economic situation continues to improve at the same pace as during the last few years, then it will happen in roughly 5000 years.

As the situation is right now I drive a five years old VW, fly Y class, and have invested a little excess money in Ryanair. And I have no reason to complain.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:29 am

What bugs me is people have said business is better and first is a waste of money and shit. This discussion forum was for people to say who fly first is there business, not a place to bitch like the others, where first is a waste and business is fine and crap. And those in first should fly business and give some money to war children and shit. Its your own business and the status thing, my god man its your money. Its the people who cant make it to first complain about the people who do.

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:34 am

''Its the people who cant make it to first complain about the people who do.''

Nice sentence for somebody who's not even 21 years old and probably much younger judging from you answers....  Laugh out loud

I'm happy for you that your rich father pays the first class tickets for you...

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:40 am

nah i aint 21.

Let it put it to this way. My father put himself through his last years of school and univeristy. While paying for his education he paid for his res and food and clothes. His parents were so poor he didnt get birthday gifts and he has had to fight everthing he has. Not to bad for himself hey?

Hey i would rather have my rich father than poor you for a dad. any way you are like most pub crawlling men, jealous of the people who have made it to the top and want everything to fall into their laps.

Dont worry just keep buying those lottery tickets and im sure one day you can win some money and go first.

I mean after all you do come from a family of nuckle dragging trogladites, so how can you be expected to rise above the norm and do something great with your life.

P.S. do you want some of my frequent flyer miles for a first class ticket?

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:44 am

''I mean after all you do come from a family of nuckle dragging trogladites, so how can you be expected to rise above the norm and do something great with your life.''

It might be a good idea to ban under 15's or whatever from this site, so the professionals can discuss serious topics...

futureualpilot

Im with you on this, I dont see the big whoop. Ive flown it for quite a few carriers and I woild honestly rather save the money and fly coach. Ive survived for much longer than 12hrs. in coach and all you need to do is get up once and a while and its fine.
Life is better when you surf.

Accidentally

I've flown both, and I dont prefer either to the other. I'm all for the flight experience. Many people here seem to be for the airline experience.
Indianapolis, IN

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:47 am

How sweet ban U15 from here, well in body you would still be here but in mine sorry my friend im sure someday somebody will start a kiddies airliners.net

So ther is hope for you yet.

Just keep buying those lottery tickets.

If you have $200 million does the differnece bewteen coach to first matter?

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:49 am

And your serious matters would be?

Complaning about people in first.

And your a proffesional at what? Ankle grabbing?

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:52 am

''If you have $200 million does the differnece bewteen coach to first matter?''

I don't know where you come from, but the answer is no. It's still the same small increase in quality between business and first for a much higher fare. If you have 200 million, why be so selfish and not help your world to become happier? So many people are suffering and you worry about what to fly, First or Business......... I still say if you don't need it, give it to somebody who does, and maybe never got the chance to become rich due to war, disease etc etc

A SEAT IS JUST A SEAT!

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:58 am

Possibly the world is helped by the sriously rich.
eg. Anglo mining company has spent millions of dollars on education for poor people and their directors fly first class.

When was the last time you went and spent time with the needy?

Yes but stop chainging the subject?

How significant is the difference if you have $200 million?

Well with many people in South Africa often the weatly give money to them.

My fathers business sponsors all the previously disadvantaged media students at one of South Africas top universities, besides the fact he is in media he is giving so many people a university education. Isnt that helping?

Last year also him and his business gave $1 million to Mrs. Mbeki's charity for children with out homes and parents. How much money have you given to the needy?

Now he has given to the needy, flied fist class and given 6000 people a job thorugh his business and due to the multipler effet he has beneifted 48000. Now is that not being nice?

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:01 am

hey also please note, despite I think you hate me, i added you to my respected users all in the name of good fun.

FFlyer

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:02 am

I think some of you are talking about separate things. At first, the First class the domestic US travelers talk about is completely different from the international first class. The domestic first class does not really cost that much more than economy. Second, most airlines don't have international first class any more; it's Business Class. The price difference between the international economy/business is bigger (regular business class ticket is about 6 times the cheapest coach fare) than in US coach/first.

"Most businesses paying for their people to fly in first" really applies the US domestic trips. I think that in recent economy (and also earlier) most companies have cut even that. Or how do you explain the lack of higher fares paying businessmen in the US? I have been involved with several big companies in the US, Europe and Asia - which all have the policy to use the cheapest fares available.

The last point: you don't typically choose to pay a higher (business/first) fare. You are forced to! When you can't plan ahead, and make an early reservation, or your travel dates or seat availability don't allow cheap fares.

How do I travel? Always paying the lowest fare. But I have been upgraded, or I have used miles for upgrades. Voluntarily in business class only when flying to some politically unstable places, just to be able to leave quickly, if needed.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:06 am

Let's get something straight: flying in Economy on long-haul flights (more than 8 hours) is miserable -- I don't care which airline you're traveling on.

Let's say you're a business traveler, and you're traveling from MIA to NRT & you're only stayin in the Tokyo-area for two days. Traveling in the premium cabin WILL make a difference -- often, it can take an entire day to "recover" from your Economy experience.

Only very weathy people pay for the premium cabins -- most often, people get up there via redemtion of miles/certificates earned from their loyalty to an airline, or the company they work for pays for the ticket.

Moolies
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:07 am

Each to his own, me to my own and Kl to his own.

I mean now SAA and BA are in a price war.

Economy = $1428

Business = $3142

First = $4000

normally its much more. But also the rand is very strong so ya. but genrally whenthe ran weakens a bit it will be about $3000 fors first and $1000 for economy and $2200 for business.

Go look at SAA business coming and their Business on SA 234/5

danielbk

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:08 am

let me say this.

some people have wrote some very negative comments about first class flying.

let me tell you this.

i do this once a week for three years now, flying from Tel Aviv to New York City and Back with EL AL(i have some pictures up of the cabin on a different website) because of work, and i do it in First because flying is work for me. i have to do it to sustain my company - and i do it in first because i have to sleep. That's it. not because of the food, but because i can work, and sleep.
i don't purchase first, i purchase business and get upgraded, as does %90 of F cabin pax.

I think anyone who flies regularly (weekly) understands my point --
and people who don't think it's just a pure waste of money.
your opinion. But I have to say I have no respect for people who write
"people who fly first class are people who don't care about others, or else they would have donated there money".
cockpit? it's that little room in the front of the plane where the pilots seat.. but that's not important now

kl911

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:09 am

Moolies,

I don't hate you, why? Discussions are good as long as you keep them professional. You say something about people without knowing them. That's the only thing I don't like. You have your opinion, i've got mine. That's good.
On this site many people have discussions, sometimes close to boiling, but nobody hates eachother.

boeingflying31

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:12 am

I've never paid for first class or business class but I've got it for free most of the time through miles, upgrades, etc. I think first class on domestic flights isn't really worth it since most of the time you aren't flying for that long anyway and there is not really a need for a better seat. When it comes to international travel, business class is great. It has everything you need and you arrive at your destination refreshed. I've never been on first class on international flights(until december) but I'm sure it will be really nice.
-BF31