alphastrike

What's Your Favorite Aviation Museum

Thu Jan 06, 2000 5:49 am

I've been to quite a few aviation museums and I'd have to say that the best of them all was the one in Dayton,Ohio. I'm sure some of you have been there before. They have quite an aray of aircraft on display, including the Spirit of St.Louis hanging from the ceiling. The fun doesn't just stop inside the massive hanging. The have numerous aircraft on display outside of the museum.

The SAC Headquarters in Louisiana was very interesting. The museum was right on the military base. Every now and then a B-52 or F-16 would fly by. My favorite plane there was the B-17.

The most unique musem I have been to was on the aircraft carrier Lexington in Corpus Christi, Texas. It's quite the experience when you think how everyting on an aircraft carrier works. Just standing in the middle of the flight deck was a feeling of awe.

What are your favorite museums?

American_4275

RE: What's Your Favorite Aviation Museum

Thu Jan 06, 2000 5:58 am

Well, considering the fact that i've only been to one aviation related museum, i guess i have to go with the Smithsonian. I went in. I really had a good time there. They had a place where you could go inside the cabin of an aircraft and see the seats. Very small cabin, but it was nice anyways. Well that was my experience.

American_4275

TCA256

Thu Jan 06, 2000 6:04 am

My favourite are :

1) Air Space Museum, Washington DC, USA.

2) Musée de l'air, Brussels, Belgium.

3) Schiphol Museum, Amsterdam, Holland.

I can't remember the others....  

Thu Jan 06, 2000 6:14 am

If you like military aircraft, there's a really nice one in Pensacola, Florida. Also there's a good one in Munich, Germany, but I can't remember the name. Ditto on Tca256's call on the one in Amsterdam.

RedAirForce

Thu Jan 06, 2000 10:06 am

Monino, outside of Moscow. Great museum, though the aircraft are not kept in great shape.Its just acres and acres of aircraft and no one to kep you from playing near them. If its nice outside its a great place to spend the day.

dan-air

Thu Jan 06, 2000 10:13 am

1. Duxford England. Great selection of classic British airliners including the best looking airplane ever made, the VC10. they have a Concorde too, and a Dan-Air Comet G-APDB which flew the first commercial jetliner service across the Atlantic (it was with BOAC at the time).

2. Wright-Patterson Air Force museum Dayton Ohio. Awesome. They have 4 or 5 Air-Force One aircraft, including 707 26001, on which every president since Kennedy has flown (it returned JFK's body to Washington). This plane has to be seen to be believed - it's immaculate, like the day it rolled out of Renton. The chrome on the engines is polished like a mirror. Stunning bird.

AmtrakGuy

Thu Jan 06, 2000 10:18 am

What about the museum in Dallas...American Airlines musuem? I'll be in Dallas in two weeks and was thinking of visiting (I never visit any museum of this kind). Thanks. Dave