TWA902fly
Topic Author

Westchester County Airport(HPN)Any Good?

Thu Jan 06, 2000 7:47 am

I know New York has all them historical Airports- that have been around for years. Here in ORD, there are ten(10) non-stop flights a day to HPN. If you were to go to NYC, would you fly there??? I heard it's small. Is it as crowded as JFK, LGA or EWR. Also maybe Islip, is that any good??? Any info welcome.
Thanks
Mark
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

RE: Westchester County Airport(HPN)Any Good?

Thu Jan 06, 2000 8:42 am

I have been to HPN and it is a small regional airport. It is located off of I-684 in White Plains, NY. The primary use of the airport is by business passengers, as I recall White Plains has a number of companies located there. It is a half hour drive from NYC, there is also a local bus that goes from the airport to White Plains where you can get a bus to NYC. The largest aircraft that flies there is probably an M80 or 737, there are many more prop and RJ (regional/exp airlines) planes that serve HPN. As I recall, UA has 4 737's to ORD, ACA has 4 J31's to IAD, AA has 4 100's to ORD, BEX has 12 SF3's to BOS (just to tell u, many less flts op on wknds), CO Exp has 4 ERJ'S to CLE, NW has 2 D9S and 3 ARJ's to DTW, also a D9S and ARJ to MSP, Comair has 3 CRJ's to CVG, US EXP has flts to BWI (4), BOS (10), PHL (5), PIT (1), POU (3), ROC (4), SYR (3), IAD (4), DCA (6). Also US mainline has 2 PIT jets. There is a small fenced observation deck. There is 1 small bag claim and hertz, avis, and national. Also a restaurant overlooking the field and a news stand.

Jetstream 61

Fri Jan 07, 2000 10:41 am

Eventhough HPN has a small ramp area, many flights end up here when the NYC airports close. There have been accounts of L-1011s, B747s, and even the Concorde at HPN.

CV990A

Sat Jan 08, 2000 3:06 am

I fly out of HPN and it's a good airport, easy to get to, and has good spotting access. On the downside, there's little parking, very few flights on weekends, and the communication between the tower and ground control is horrible, they rarely work together. Also, access to public transportation isn't all that good either. However, it is better than Islip, which I've also flown out of, but, obviously is no match for LGA, JFK or EWR...
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

JZ

Sat Jan 08, 2000 3:23 am

Living in Connecticut, I used HPN several times. There is never congestion to/from the airport and check in is always very quick. There is no jetways so you walk to your plane, which I enjoy a lot. Obviously, there are only a handful of direct flights out of HPN. But there are more and more jet flights because of RJs. It's a good alternative to reach Westchest County and Southern Connecticut.

Jetstream 61: Concorde and other widebodies in HPN? I am doubtful. Do you have evidence?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos