LambertMan
Topic Author

STL Gets A WN Nonstop To FLL And LAX

Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:36 am

St Louis Biz Jounral--
LATEST NEWS
11:31 AM CST Thursday
Southwest to add flights from St. Louis to LA, S. Florida
Southwest Airlines is expanding its service from St. Louis by adding one new non-stop flight each way to Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Fla., beginning March 7, 2004.

Joyce Rogge, senior vice president of marketing, said the new flights are in response to customer demand and changes in the marketplace.

"The new nonstop flights complement our existing direct and connecting service to Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood as well as our other destinations in Southern California and South Florida," she said.

Southwest is launching the new service with $99 fares each way for travel from March 7 through April 2.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) introduced flights in St. Louis in 1985. The airline currently has 263 local employees operating 74 daily non-stop flights to 19 cities.
Well its a start I guess....I was hoping for more than an addition of two daily flights. FLL needed an extra daily, I thought that we may even see NK come in and pick up the route but WN got to it first. Hopefully we will see more WN additions down the road. Thoughts?

PVD757

RE: STL Gets A WN Nonstop To FLL And LAX

Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:46 am

I never could believe why WN didn't serve FLL or LAX n/s from STL in the first place. Even with the pre-AA cut-backs, they would have done well on both routes. Good for STL, but still waiting for PVD's daily FLL flight!

luv2fly

Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:48 am

Maybe they are going after a slow and steady growth as to not stir the sleeping bear?
You can cut the irony with a knife

MAH4546

Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:15 am

St. Louis is, in my opinion, very well served for a city of its size. American cut back drasticlly, but the lost capacity is predominatley capacity that would have been connecting. I don't expect Southwest to add that much more from St. Louis. The South Florida and Southern California markets did happen to be two markets where AA cut a little too much for demand, so I am not surprised to see WN add service.
a.

Coronado990

Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:28 am

Could STL-SAN be next on WN? We're down to one flight a day on AA between STL-SAN.
Uncle SAN at your service!

LambertMan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:14 pm

Its a possibility I guess, I would assume we'd get at least 2x daily from PHL when they release what cities will be served from PHL. I would think that WN may concentrate on markets they would have a monopoly on such as SMF, PDX, or PVD if they are going to add any new destinations out of STLBig thumbs up

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:21 pm

I noticed that AA is offering a fare of $141 r/t between STL and LAX now. Leave it to Southwest to drive the prices down. I think WN will definetely steal some biz away from AA on these routes.

Steve in New Orleans

atrude777

Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:02 pm

In my opinion...141 on AA STL-LAX is a steal I checked WN and its 200 dollars, so I would go for AA right now if its still being offered.

But anyways....Glad to see that STL has some more N/S choices. we definetyl need FLL back!! I have relatives there!!! LAX I am not surpised we have, however to fly it on a 737...ewww but then again..flying it on an S80 is not my best choice either......soon to be 757 later in the year correct?

Will it be on the -700 varietn with winglets? I can only hope!!!
STL-SAN is a big market too si it not?

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

pilotpip

Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:00 pm

There was a -700 with winglets here tonight. I don't know where it came from, or where it's going. Keep the growth coming slowly.
DMI