United777
Topic Author

Military Touch-and-goes At SMF

Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:35 am

A few days ago I was driving by SMF and I noticed two military aircraft doing touch and goes at the airport. One was a 707 type air tanker another was KC-10 tanker. I was just wondering if anybody knows which base do they come from and why do they use a civilian airport like SMF for touch and go practices.

Also does anybody know what expansion plans there are at SMF?

Farhan
Seattle, USA

garnetpalmetto

RE: Military Touch-and-goes At SMF

Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:19 am

Which bases would be more accurate since no AFB houses both KC-135s and KC-10s. My guess, based solely on geographic closeness to SMF would be that the KC-10 was from Travis AFB and the KC-135 was from March ARB. Not sure why they'd be practicing touch-and-gos there.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Lt-AWACS

RE: Military Touch-and-goes At SMF

Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:09 am

IN the E-3 we have used airports all over the country, as we are flying from Tinker all over the US everyday. Just Monday we flew transition at Amarillo for hours (it is a big one). CLinton-Sherman in Western Oklahoma is a big one also. Wichita, also.

Basically any commercial airport that is not that busy - We will work non-fam transition.

"Heavy E-3 cleared for the option" you'll hear it allot  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Our tankers, cargo planes and others do it all the time.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!