John
Topic Author

US Airways Vision?

Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:42 am

I just don't see it. AM I the only one?

cedarjet

RE: US Airways Vision?

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:01 am

What's the problem? Big domestic fleet with nice wide A320s, the best US carrier on international service, good hubs (love Charlotte!); I don't really fly domestically in the US due to a different geographical focus at work (lots of BA short haul, Aer Lingus, easyJet + Australia a few times a year) but if I did, US would be my first choice (CO second).

If you mean, why haven't they joined an alliance, I have one word for you: Emirates. I don't know if US are profitable (I would guess this is a NO) but I don't think they're doing anything wrong that the likes of Delta and United are doing right.

I will say this, they seem to have stopped crashing. After careful consideration, I think is probably a good thing.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:27 am

... Yet another thread generated against a weakened airline just so the usual people can chime in and bash the hell out of it..

Go ahead. Have a ball people!

Big thumbs up

Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:46 am

Hey,

If you mean, why haven't they joined an alliance, I have one word for you: Emirates. I don't know if US are profitable (I would guess this is a NO) but I don't think they're doing anything wrong that the likes of Delta and United are doing right.

How about Star Alliance, they are about to join them in the next few weeks...

I personally think US Airways will expand onto the european market with codeshares but also launching new routes, perhaps they will try to get into niche markets like Continental has done.

Tim

John
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:50 am

AND when business really starts to kick in again, as it is beginning to, with only 279 aircraft in the mainline fleet, how do they intend to add capacity with limited resources? The A319/320/321 fleet are very comfortable airplanes, no doubt about that, but the 737s and 767s are getting a little long in the tooth and are beginning to show their age. The interiors have not been upgraded and they're getting a little ragged around the edges. I realize once the Embraer 170s start coming on line over the next couple of years, that will free up more mainline aircraft, but I really don't see them doing anything inivative in the meantime, other than adding Glasgow and a couple of Carribean/Central American routes. Just to give you one example, there is NO catering out of West Palm Beach whatsoever...SAD! Flights to PHL and PIT are blocked at 2:30 minutes! For those customers WILLING to buy a FULL FARE First Class ticket, honestly, why bother? Pathetic. The tentative schedule for February at the moment, doesn't indicate much of an increase in Florida flying, either. PBI is getting NOTHING! This just tells me that US is once again retreating from the competition. (Song, jetBlue, AirTran)

STT757

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:04 am

Here's a vision, instead of BWI think PHL..

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Shawn Byers

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:12 am

I've been called crazy (regarding this topic) before, but I personally believe that they should start flying some of those A-319's to smaller European markets...how about expanding operations out of MCI, if for no other reason to feed passengers from the west coast to some of those midwestern cities where they have a competitive portion of the market-share, despite not being able to feed anybody west of PIT to those markets or vice-versa...I'd like to see them take more A-319/20/21's to start replacing their Boeing narrowbodies (10 more A-330's, BTW, are still on order, which is not-so-coincidentally is the number of 762ER's that are currently in their fleet)...other than that, IMO they need to have a hub in a decent O&D market (their best-placed hub, PHL, is 18th), MCO, at #5 on that list, seems to make the most sense, as there is no dominant carrier at the airport, and they are third in market-share at the airport, behind Delta and Southwest, to begin with...BOS at #13 might not be a bad idea either, plus it would be a better home base for the trans-atlantic A-319's than PHL...buying up a couple more of their USX carriers (Colgan and Shuttle America seem the best candidates) might not be a bad idea either once they get more in cash reserves...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:15 am

One other suggestion: cut service to some of their TWENTY-THREE (!?!?!?!?!) EAS cities...

STT757

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:16 am

"how about expanding operations out of MCI,"

US Air already tried a hub in Kansas City from the Late '80s- mid '90s, it didn't work for them.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

luv2fly

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:23 am

MCI, they would be better off staying in PIT, at least you do not have to clear security each time just to change gates. MCI Has worked for no one so far, so I really doubt US could make a go of it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:30 am

"US Air already tried a hub in Kansas City from the Late '80s- mid '90s, it didn't work for them."

"MCI, they would be better off staying in PIT, at least you do not have to clear security each time just to change gates. MCI Has worked for no one so far, so I really doubt US could make a go of it."

Would STL be any better then? I'm asking for an opinion...STL really isn't that much better than MCI in terms of O&D (STL is 29th, MCI 30th, although the difference is about 900,000 passengers per year) but by the sounds of it (I've never been in either airport) the airport's layout is much better for a hub...

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:36 am

... Yet another thread generated against a weakened airline just so the usual people can chime in and bash the hell out of it..

But US Airways is such a fun pinata...so much to swing at. Big grin Anyway, it seems to me there are two likely possibilities.

First, Siegel & Bronner really mean to make a survivor out of the airline, and thus actually are structuring it to exist on its own. In that case, I'd say: Full-service East coast network carrier with three focus areas:
1) hubs for network-coverage connections plus some European business centers. Aircraft of reduced size for most domestic spoke markets, more like the old Allegheny and Piedmont--more 70-125 seaters and regional a/c.
2) focus operations at major northeast business centers (DCA, LGA, BOS)
3) Caribbean leisure centers, which must be profitable or US wouldn't keep adding them.

Second, Siegel and Bronner are actually Wolfman II, quietly preparing the airline for sale. Get its finances in the best order possible, order a bunch of large regional a/c, join United's alliance, and gradually keep shrinking the airline in the hopes that selling it to UA won't raise the antitrust hackles the 2000-2001 attempt raised. As STT noted, LCC's just keep taking market share in the Northeast, so shrinking US isn't exactly difficult. Big grin Hey, had to get one swipe in.

How bankrupt UA, of course, could buy US nowadays, who knows. But recent moves suggest that if S & B are preparing US for sale, UA is the candidate. There have been threads on whether the reverse is true--is Bronner preparing to buy UA and merge it with US--but that seems to me unlikely.

Siegel recently said that US needs another $200 to $300 million in concessions this winter if it is to survive long-term. It seems to me unlikely that unions will agree after conceding so much during bankruptcy. That's when we're likely to find out more about Siegel and Bronner's longer-term "vision" for US.

Jim

Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:51 am

One question regarding the labor concessions: what if, god forbid, Siegel decided to implement the Crandall-esque "B-Scale" system, where current employees were guaranteed to be kept on the same scale for the rest of their careers (inflation-adjusted, of course), but new employees were hired under a separate, lower scale, that would allow US Airways to, gradually, get their costs in line with what they are looking for, or need in order to achieve profitability?

Flaps

Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:58 am

I dont really think that USAirways and vision should be used in the same sentence Smile

US A333 PIT

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:39 am

Where are you guys getting your O&D population rankings from? I'd be interested to check it out.

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:44 am

US A333 PIT-I'm getting them directly from the Department of Transportation website...http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/aptcomp2002/aptcomp2002.htm...spreadsheet 1 is the one with the O&D numbers...3 and 4 have some airport-to-airport specific numbers, but the 2002 version of spreadsheet 3 only works in comma-delimited format...you need Microsoft Excel to read all of those spreadsheets...

AA717driver

Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 am

Let's see... Go to the pilots who have just had their retirement cut by 70% with no way to recover... Nah, don't think that will work. How about the mechanics? No, B & S just tried to take their work and get rid of more of them. Hit the non-contract folks... Taco Bell is hiring WITH benefits. Don't tempt them.

Wow, I really can't think of how they will get any more concessions from the U employees. I think they'll be running a little short on "rah-rah" about Christmas time... Sad

As I said numerous times on this subject, U's only chance will be to emerge from ch. 11(which they did) and bump along, not making any huge moves and try to eake out a profit(which they are not). The LCC's haven't helped and it won't get any better on the competition front. Expansion would be the equivalent of the candle burning brightest right before it goes out.TC
FL450, M.85

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:20 pm

AA717driver-What US is currently doing isn't working, and if one thing isn't working, try something else...granted, I'm not suggesting US start flying OXR-Santa Barbara with hourly A380's, I'm suggesting that US Airways go after a totally new market, but one that has potential, in cities where the airline at least has name recognition, and at minimal cost, as they wouldn't have to open new outstations...and as for the compensation situation, why wouldn't B-scales work? The people that were working for the company already wouldn't be affected...

N670UW

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:28 pm

I'm suggesting that US Airways go after a totally new market, but one that has potential, in cities where the airline at least has name recognition, and at minimal cost

...And where exactly is that?!  Confused

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:46 pm

New for them, not new period...One market that I have suggested is totally new, but the fact is, US Airways cannot be the primary carrier for any passenger who lives west of PIT or CLT...period...think about it...there isn't a single person on the planet who would be moronic enough to fly SNA-PIT-SEA on US Airways even if it cost the same amount as somebody flying SNA-SEA nonstop on Alaska (that is just an example, BTW)...not that I'm suggesting US start with that route, but there are plenty of markets in the Midwest that US is strong in despite their inability to effectively serve it, such as BNA, CMH, IND, MKE, MSY, SDF...all significant airports between PIT/CLT and the Mississippi River that US Airways has at least 5% of the marketshare in despite its inability to fully cater to those markets (BTW, US also has 5% of the marketshare at MCI and SFO West of the Mississippi)...a mini-hub at STL or MCI would alleviate all of these problems...wouldn't have to be a ton...just two or three mainline flights from westcoast cities to/from MCI/STL with A-319's, and mainline flights to/from the hubs, and RJ's to/from DEN, DFW, IAH, and other points in the midwest...wouldn't be more than maybe 200 flights per day, but would get the job done...

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:51 pm

SHUPirate,

just so you know, high O&D isn't worth much without decently high yield to back it up.

Airports like LAS and MCO have enormous O&D, but their yields are relatively horrid (seeing as they're basically vacation/holiday spots)... which is why Global carriers shun them (in terms of hubbing and intercontinental service, relative to other airports with their traffic flow), but LoCos flock to them feverishly.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:55 pm

ConcordeBoy: According to the same statistics as I get my O&D numbers from, (figure in dollars, not RPM's) LAS is #8 in terms of revenue, with MCO #12...still not too shabby...

N670UW

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:06 pm

The problem with MCI and STL is that they are both LCC-infested (diluted yields, diluted revenues) and have mediocre O&D at best. I think MAH4546 said it best that STL is still overserved for a market its size. AA will still maintain a rather large presence, and WN is increasing service.

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:27 pm

N670UW-STL actually has some of the highest yields/passenger (revenue/RPM)among major US airports (STL 12th out of 68 medium/large airports, MCI 25th)...I wouldn't exactly say that yields are that brutally bad at those airports...BTW, the number one yield/passenger airport among those 68 happens to be none other than Dallas-Love Field...not exactly a network-carrier fortress hub...additionally, I'm not suggesting that US use STL as a hub to serve STL itself, but to serve passengers between the Mississippi and PIT/CLT...

A330323X

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:34 pm

there isn't a single person on the planet who would be moronic enough to fly SNA-PIT-SEA on US Airways even if it cost the same amount as somebody flying SNA-SEA nonstop on Alaska

First of all, I'm absolutely crazy enough to do that if I wasn't in a hurry.  Smile Unfortunately, I couldn't, since US no longer serves SNA.  Sad

Seriously though, they've chosen to focus on the east coast. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Domestically, there's not a whole lot more growth to be had at PHL, PIT, and CLT. That's why they're adding Caribbean destinations at PHL and CLT and European destinations at PHL. They've also recently added capacity at LGA and DCA, but they can't keep on doing that, due to slot constraints and perimeter rules. The recent addition of capacity into BOS, however, I think is more promising. They've added a good number of Caribbean destinations (SJU, CUN, BDA, NAS, AUA, MBJ). I think if they add a few major business destinations (ORD, LAX, SFO), the usual Florida destinations (MCO, TPA, FLL, MIA, RSW, PBI), a few more leisure destinations (MSY, make the LAS daily), and a few European destinations (bring back FRA and put LH's code on it, start LGW, maybe seasonal SNN/DUB), US has a good shot at pulling ahead of AA and DL at BOS, especially with the increased feed US will have in BOS due to the LH codeshare.

US's big problem is that they really don't have much spare lift right now. That's why there's been all the new Saturday-only service. 279 planes is not a whole lot. (It's actually at about 276 and falling due to the Airbus heavy maintenance problems, but that's another story.) I think when the EMB-170's start coming online, US will be able to put them in existing mainline markets and redeploy the planes elsewhere. Until then, unless they take a drastic step like closing PIT, I don't think they have the ability to add any serious amount of capacity anywhere.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:41 pm

A330323X-I don't mean less, I mean the same price, number one...number two, why couldn't they just buy more planes to allow them to increase capacity (especially if that's the only way they are going to make money anyway)

A330323X

Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:50 pm

I wholeheartedly agree, they should buy more planes. But they won't. They feel that all of the growth will come from smaller planes, i.e., the EMB-170/175 and smaller. Long term, it appears that they'll want to replace the B737-300/400's with EMB-190/195's. Short term, the mainline fleet count will stay at 279, not more, not less. (The EMB-170/175's will be flown in the US Airways livery, not US Airways Express. They will have first class and be otherwise similar to mainline. However, they will be flown by MidAtlantic, a lower-paying division of US Airways and therefore don't count towards the 279 fleet count mandated by the ALPA and AFA (and perhaps others) contracts.) Even if US acquires some additional heavy lift for increased European flying, it appears that they would maintain the 279 number by retiring some narrowbodies.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

John
Topic Author

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:09 pm

When do those A330-200s start arriving? 2006? 2007? Probably not soon enough I'd say and even then they are supposed to replace the 767s. So that doesn't exactly leave US with too many more choices, as far as any European expansion. For instance, why doesn't US fly to Zurich, Milan, Nice or Lisbon? Why only a single daily flight to Rome?

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:11 pm

John-Again, why not the A319's? And BTW, US has more destinations in Europe than UA does...

A330323X

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:30 pm

US has 10 A330-200's on order, scheduled to start arriving in 2007. Additionally, US has 19 A320 family aircraft on order, also scheduled to start arriving in 2007.

As for why US doesn't fly the A319's (or the B757's) to Europe, it's because US's A319's and B757's are not ETOPS-certified.

AA717driver

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:32 pm

SHU--I appreciate your ideas but, for the time being, the wheel has been invented. It will take a really visionary, revolutionary idea to allow U or any of the other network carriers to "break out" and redefine themselves AND the industry.

Also, getting planes is totally out of the question. Until the E-170's show up on the ramp, I will be skeptical of U's ability to acquire new aircraft. TWA paid lease rates that made John Gotti blush. Financially troubled airlines are, by nature high risk and must be made "high reward" for the leasing companies by paying exhorbitant rates.

That's why I say they must "hunker down" until they make a comfortable profit.TC
FL450, M.85

badgerguy

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:34 pm

I use to fly US a lot. Very nice FAs and their 320s and 737s out of MKE were always clean. Now they no longer fly any mainline AC out of here so I don't use them. Flew on them 4 days after 9/11. The FC FA came around and shook everyone's hand and thanked them for flying with them. It was her first flight since 9/11 also. Super service on that flight to PWM. Back when they actually served meals in FC. Now my choice is NW. They are really getting their act together in regards to in-flight service and they still serve full meals.

SHUPirate1

Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:43 pm

AA717-OK...I'll step down from my post as US Airways' Armchair CEO...

ual777contrail

Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:48 pm

THATS BAFOON NOT BEFOON,Gordo would be so pissed right now if her saw this, then he would try and hurt UAL, NAWWWWW wont happen.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

geg2rap

Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:03 pm

US Airs goals in order of importance to them
#1 Complete their goal of having 1 of every plane being actively made in their fleet. I mean besides delivery spots why would you order 2 different 70 seat jets???? this made no sense at all to accountants or shareholders (or former shareholders)
#2 Stay on the east coast till WN and B6 drive them to the ground, need to serve the whole country the east coast is gonna be crammed soon
#3 Go thru bankruptcy again so they can come out like MCI/Worldcom did I mean they come out of bankruptcy in almost as bad shape as they went in look at their financials and you will see they had the nicest bankruptcy for their creditors ever.
#4Wish they had merged with UAL, (so they could better have goal #1 by having a 777 and 747 as a bonus)
#5 Keep their pickup service on their shuttle so even if they aren't making money (they tried to cut it right after 9/11 but then ted kennedy made a call and it was back) famous people fly it so they will have a fit if US Air is in real trouble

Hey top 5 there you go

ouboy79

Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:03 am

I chime in a bit on the top 5 above:

#1 - While it really made no sense except for delivery slots, it will pay off thanks to the problems with the Embraer 170 certification. Granted they will be flying around 40 170s over the next 2 years...but they need lift badly. The one thing to keep in mind, US Airways is going to be acting as a leasing firm with the CRJ-700 Series 701s. They'll pay for them, but they are then going to lease them out to Mesa to fly. Of course, say a 170 breaks down...wouldn't it be nice to have a CR7 ready to go? Breaking in a new plane always comes with problems...ask the DCI people about the CR7s. LOL

#2 - They can survive in the east just fine, as long as they don't get scared of WN. They can easily co-exist with WN in PHL and other cities...BWI was just the weakest hub at the time and they needed to get out. WN is only looking at coming in with 40 flights over a period of time, so they'll just be another blip on the radar screen.

#3 - An option that isn't really out there. They were a tad rushed through the last bankrupcty since they needed to emerge by March 31st to meet the requirements of their credit card merchant processor.

#4 - Wish? Who knows...neither airline may be here right now if they did.

AA717driver

Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:07 am

SHUPirate--Sorry, I really wasn't picking on you and I think B & S can use all the help they can get these days.

My fervor on this subject comes from observing TWA emerging from two different bankruptcies in two different business climates. Unlike personal bankruptcy, there aren't people throwing money at airlines that have recently emerged. But, like personal bankruptcy, when an airline does find some money to borrow, it comes at usurious interest rates. TWA was an excellent example of both issues. They had to go back to Carl Icahn to get money(speaking of usury). Then, to get new airplanes, TWA paid almost twice the going rate for leases.

The harsh realities of life after Ch. 11 are smacking B&S in the chops right now.TC
FL450, M.85

Bicoastal

Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:24 am

I can't see US expanding anywhere UA is strong. And vice versa. The two are going to try to complement each other's networks. It's evident already on their websites. I get US codesshares as often as I get United flights. Nice that I can fly to Narita now on a US ticket and then to Belize on a United ticket.

And why does US need to expand to new cities now? The agreement with United and the upcoming entry in to STAR gives them tons of new routes...on other's equipment. Win, win. US needs to remain focused on reducing costs, building customer loyalty to fight attrition to LCCs, maximizing feed to and from STAR Alliance members and possibly, as the market dictates, increase frequencies to existing destinations.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

captaink

Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:46 am

US AIrways is expected to make up to 50 million dollars by being a member of the Star Alliance. They benefit more from from the UA/US and Star Alliance because in the case of UA they are the smaller airline. In the case of the Star Alliance, they are among the smallest of the airlines. These alliances would really benefit US Airways.
There is something special about planes....

MAH4546

Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:57 am

In the case of the Star Alliance, they are among the smallest of the airlines.

I am not positive, but I would say they are larger than Air New Zealand, ANA, Austrian, Asiana, bmi british midland, LOT Polish, SAS, Spanair, Thai, and Varig. That is 10 of Star's 14 current members (excl. MX).
a.

SHUPirate1

Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:32 am

MAH-If I'm not mistaken, US Airways is among the 10 largest airlines in the entire world with respect to RPM's...if not, they are definitely top 15...

captaink

Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:49 am

Oooops.. well i know the instructor mentioned something to that effect in a US/LH codeshare class we had, but maybe it was in reference to US/UA. But they did project a 50 million dollar revenue from Star... Lets see.

SHUPirate1

Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:52 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if somebody buys a US Airways ticket to fly PHL-MUC-wherever, all on Lufthansa, US Airways doesn't make a penny off of that ticket...am I wrong?

airways6max

Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:01 am

I don't think they have a vision. The airline has not had a vision of where it wants to go for the last twenty-five years. They missed the boat repeatedly and appear to be a large regional carrier that is trying to be a major and with not too much success.

iflyatldl

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:03 am

To operate in the black and not have creditors knocking on their door !
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:09 am

US already has somewhat of a lower "B" pay scale. Any station that is now called a US Airways mainline express station such as MKE, CLE are paid a lower wage then employees in PIT or CLT or SAN, LAX etc. And although the mainline express stations are mostly getting RJ's they can add mainline aircraft to some flights over time.

syncmaster

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:10 am

US Airways has a vision?

rthrbeflying86

Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:25 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if somebody buys a US Airways ticket to fly PHL-MUC-wherever, all on Lufthansa, US Airways doesn't make a penny off of that ticket...am I wrong?

Are you referencing codesharing (i.e. the person with the USAirways ticket is flying on flights operated by Lufthansa under US codes)? Only because LH doesn't offer PHL-MUC, only US does.

Also, assuming that they were flying PHL-FRA-wherever, all on LH, US must still have some benefit. Airlines have been codesharing for a long time, and although I am not an expert, it seems to be a great way to increase revenue. Even though one codesharing passenger may fly entirely on LH even though he booked through US, another passenger will do the opposite, and fly on US entirely from MUC-PHL-wherever.

I don't know the details on who gets the actual money for a codeshare ticket, but in the end both airlines get a chunk of the net revenue; and if the sizes of the chunks aren't acceptable, the relationship ends.
I'd rather be flying.

captaink

Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:24 pm

Codesharing is really effective when a person who prefers to fly to a particular destination and their airline doesn't fly there.

A person wants to fly from SFO to GND on United. United doesnt offer that service. THe person buys a ticket on UA, but the fly from SFO to PHL on UA, then from PHL to GND on US. The person has the ease of being through checked to their final destinations. They have their bags tagged to their final destination and they get the connecting boarding passes. Travel has become easier for that person, they appreciate the fact that United can take care of all their travel, and for frequent travellers, they get their miles for the entire trip. They get the benefits of the club loungers, pirority boarding and other perks.

For the airline? Customers now have more choice and will continue to fly their airline. UA gets paid for their flight, and US gets paid for theirs.

ouboy79

Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:41 pm

SHU...That is the UAL deal, not sure how that works with the Star airlines. However, with the UA codeshare - the only airline that gets the dough is the one who is actually flying the person. Each airline is making their cash off the ability to offer more destinations. Don't be shocked to see more feed between the airlines' hubs and key cities. Say OKC which has finally been added to the code-share. I want to fly TOL to OKC on US Airways. I would fly TOL to PIT to DEN on US and then DEN to OKC on UA. US Airways gets the money through DEN and then UA gets cash for the OKC leg...even though my ticket may be 100% US Airways ticketed and coded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos