Kabila
Topic Author

EK Out Of Lagos?

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:42 am

I was checking Emirates' website and have noticed that Lagos is not on EK's routemap ?

If I'm correct, there was a topic here a couple of months ago discussing the opening of Lagos by EK.
Can anyone advise why EK is not flying the route ? (or have they closed the station already ?). I have been abroad for about 2 months and might have missed something.

I can imagine that Lagos is not the easiest city to serve, considering the widespread corruption in Nigeria...

Any news on their other African stations they are eyeing at ? Antananarivo, Durban, Cape Town, Kinshasa, Harare...

kaitak

RE: EK Out Of Lagos?

Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:50 am

I had understood that they were going to extend this route to Accra, something which was announced relatively recently.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they were to pull out, not just given the corruption, but also due to the economic situation; does EK accept fare payment in local currency and if so, what's the point?

Far better to fly to somewhere secure, stable and which has an easily tradeable currency . . . oh let's see . . . Dublin?

EurostarVA

RE: EK Out Of Lagos?

Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:40 am

EK Flights to Lagos ARE listed on their flight schedules, starting January 2, 2004, they will operate 4 weekly flights to Lagos, continuing to Accra. Strangely, they have not had the media frenzy about this route addition and I don't know why.

As for the corruption, that would hardly stop an airline on capitalizing on lucrative routes. Many European airlines thrive on their routes to Lagos and Emirates has HUGE potential. Nigeria Airways stopped flying the route because of its inability to maintain operations, and not because the route was unprofitable. Cargo is also a big booster and DAS Air Cargo already flies shipments between DXB and LOS.

Trade and tourism between Nigeria and the UAE are rising and EK will surely increase those flights to daily next summer.
If there is a will, there is a way