leviticus

Ryanair Pays You To Fly With Them

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:08 am

Well this is a new offer... Ryanair is not just giving away free seats but now they will pay you £1 off the government charges and the airport taxes. Why ? Are they bluffing and fake-raising the taxes ? Or are they just stupid ? Maybe nobody wants to fly with them anymore  Big grin any thoughts ?
http://www.ryanair.com/press/2003/nov/pro-en-171103.html

[Edited 2003-11-19 17:09:21]

Danny

RE: Ryanair Pays You To Fly With Them

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:12 am

It's easy as they are getting billions of taxpayers money from local authorities. They should be banned from flying as this unfair competition kills other airlines.

mighluss

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:14 am

This offer only applies to the United Kingdom, in Spain I just booked a few tickets to Prestwick without taxes!

*******359.82 EUR Adults
> *********0.00 EUR Fees
> *********0.00 EUR Service Charges
> *********0.00 EUR Ins Levy
> *********0.00 EUR UK Air Duty
> *********0.00 EUR Government Tax
> *********0.00 EUR Airport Tax
> *********0.00 EUR Car rental
> *********0.00 EUR Insurance
> *******359.82 EUR Total Paid

Great!! Big grin
Miquel.

777236ER

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:17 am

It's easy as they are getting billions of taxpayers money from local authorities

Nope, sorry.
Your bone's got a little machine

707CMF

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:19 am

It really get on my nerves, the way Ryanair pretends taxes are not part of the ticket price.

Next, they will say : Okay, the ticket is free, but you have to pay 50 euro for the taxes, plus 50 euro for the fuel, plus 50 euro because we still have to pay the pilots...

Come on, guys of the LCC, try to be honest for once.

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:20 am

Seems FR can't even GIVE it away  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

pzurita1

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:23 am

ok...
so how can Ryanair offer those fares (or should I say, anti-fares?)

They should be banned from flying as this unfair competition kills other airlines.

I think most of their routes are not offered by any other airline, that is why some local governments are willing to offer subsidies to Ryanair. So, despite those subsidies, I think there is no harm for airline industry. The real problem to discuss is whether those resources used to subdise Ryanair are the best possible allocation.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

leviticus

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:26 am

Honestly I was a bit surprised at first but it is not hard to see through the "bluff" (when you talk about FR and prices you never forget that the taxes are not included). I wonder why they don't show the price including taxes right from the beginning like everybody else, it sure would make things lot easier and those who fly FR already know about the "taxes not included"-thing.

By the way... I don't think they get money at all from the governments, it is fully private company as far as I know, why would they ?

pzurita1

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:38 am

Leviticus,
I have read that some municipalities (in France, particularly) are offering money to FR in order to serve those cities.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

donder10

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:44 am

It's easy as they are getting billions of taxpayers money from local authorities
You must be getting mixed up with some of the US airlines Smile

Lufthansa

Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:52 am

Guys and gals, you have forgotten one thing.

When you get on ryanair, and buy a cup of coffee that costs them about 2 cents to make(do they use instant like virginblue? Americans.... you can actually get good instant coffee in Europe!) they charge u big time. Add in say, a chocolate, or maybe a beer, and before you know it, you've spent ten pounds sterling!!!!! So, Ryanair paying 1 pound isn't so stupid after all! Especially if Ryanair can get u to fly at time like, say, sat afternoon, when your likely to buy 3 or 4 beers, then get the munchies so u and your mate beside u end up spending 20 pounds each..... what do u know... ur starting to approach the cheaper end of the fairs.... Except you paid it on two different occasions so u didn't notice! Now if these are strictly at quieter times, like Sat afternoon, and probably wouldn't have sold anyway, what did u just do? Create revenue! Guys, this is yield management at it's very best and is an act of genius! Really, im beginning to think ryanair is actually smarter than Southwest! They learnt from the master and developed the theory to the next level!

lapper

Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:53 am

They can afford to do this beacuse if anyone cancels a flight where they have paid taxes or charges, then the passenger does not get the money back, even though the airline is meant to refund it! (Personal Experience)

leviticus

Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:18 am

What about if you don't pay taxes and charges only for the flight ? (Skavsta-Prestwick for about €30 return, they say that you don't have to pay for the taxes, they will, kinda reversed strategy). Also, I have thought about the income compensation by selling stuff but how many £3 muffins do you have to sell to make a flight worth flying ? I don't know... It would be much more obvious how they are getting their money if it came up that they are doing drug trafficking or something  Big grin (just kidding)

planesarecool

Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:51 am

I think Ryanair are being very stingey - On the front page of their website it said flights to "Reims" were free (excluding taxes etc), but when i went to the booking page they were charging 1p each for it. Tut tut  Big grin

But still, £72.12 including all taxes and charges for 4 people return London Stansted-Reims is a steal. I can't believe you guys don't like this airline. Well i haven't actually been on them so i guess i am pre-judging them Big grin

-Stephen

planemaker

Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:54 am

707cmf:

It really get on my nerves, the way Ryanair pretends taxes are not part of the ticket price.

Next, they will say : Okay, the ticket is free, but you have to pay 50 euro for the taxes, plus 50 euro for the fuel, plus 50 euro because we still have to pay the pilots...

Come on, guys of the LCC, try to be honest for once.

Take a pill,  Wink/being sarcastic it is not unique to LCC's. Almost ALL airlines are doing this nowadays! Just take a look at how Air Canada's advertised fare of $260.00 for a cheap YUL-YVR flight jumps by almost 50%!

Departing airfare (Tango) Rules**....260.00

Navcan and Surcharges...................40.00
Canada Airport Improvement Fee.......15.00
Taxes
Canada Security Charge...................6.54
Canada Quebec Sales Tax...............25.81
Canada Goods and Service Tax.........22.51

Number of Passengers 1
Grand Total (Canadian Dollars).........369.86

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

patroni

Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:02 am

Well,
I have to go to England for one day (no weekend involved) in December. My choices were as follows:

Luxair LUX-LHR : 640.00 EUR
Luxair LUX-LCY : 340.00 EUR
Ryanair HHN-STN : 25.98 EUR

The Ryanair fare consists of 2 x 9.99EUR for the return flight and 6EUR credit card charges and NO Taxes! STN is as good located for me as LHR and far better than LCY, HHN is only a few minutes further away than LUX. So even though I absolutely don't like Ryanair's public appearances (or especially those of Mr O'Leary), I decided to save some 300+EUR and use FR for the flight.

Speaking of "paying fortunes for drinks and snacks" on Ryanair and other LCC's : Welcome to the world of Swiss (1 can Coke 2.50EUR) and other traditional airlines...

Cheers,

Tom

rojo

Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:49 am

I'm really impressed with Ryanair's strategy, it is just amazing how they do these promotions and how they are developing brand recognition!
I just flew FR on the STN-VLL route this weekend (VLL = Valladolid, Spain is one of their newest routes which started November 6), and the plane was packed. There were Spanish people who were flying on Ryanair for the first time, since FR didn't serve an airport close to Madrid before, and they were totally happy with what they paid and the service in general (specially because two of the four F/A were Spanish and they could ask for things in Spanish). They said that finally they have a real alternative to Iberia's insane fares!

In the last two months, I have been on 5 FR flights and on 2 U2 flights and you can see that each attacks a different target market. U2 wants to go for the business passengers that don't like to pay major airline fares and FR is totally tourist oriented. I have to say that I didn't like FR the first time, but after flying with them 5 times (two more this weekend) I'm starting to like them. I really can't complain since they take me from point A to point B, on time, using a Next Generation B737 and with pretty low fares!!! Maybe this can change in the future, but for now, I'm a satisfied customer.

leviticus

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:48 am

Patroni, I suppose that FR's destinations then are perfect for people like you  Big grin unfortunately, even if I would want to fly Ryanair their airports are somehow always located to far away from where I want to go, making it cheaper to buy a "regular" flight instead. However i HAVE been flying with them and it was OK but not more. (Also note that I live in Stockholm and Skavsta is about two hours and €25 away)

wgw2707

Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:12 am

Well fortunately Ryanair is finally and deservedly running afoul of European regulation. I expect they won't be around much longer. It is my opinion based on what I have read from their website that their entire approach to the aviation business is unethical. Providing regional service between secondary airports is one thing, but then attempting to disguise this as service between major cities is completely unethical. Ryanair could operate in that manner in the United States. There would be several consumer advocacy groups sueing them in the first few months.....

-WGW2707

planemaker

Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:03 pm

WGW2707:

"...but then attempting to disguise this as service between major cities is completely unethical."

"I expect they won't be around much longer."

As Bill Clinton once said: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!"

So big deal deal, Barcelona-North is actually Girona - just over an hour away. I've travelled to cities in the U.S. and Europe where their main airport is just as far away. And with all the hassles of a big city main airport (having to check in 1-2 hrs before flight, etc.) you are going to spend as much time going through the main airport as you would just getting to a quiet secondary airport. It is not really a big issue issue in Europe.

And do you honestly expect that they are not going to be around much longer? Just look at their growth and traffic numbers. Do you think that people in Europe are so ignorant - it is no secret that Ryanair doesn't serve primary airports.

It is hard to comprehend how people can have such a strong dislike for a carrier that they have never flown.

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

planesarecool

Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:38 pm

Ryanair will be around for a long time. It gives the customer a wide range of routes, that no other airline flies! Like (all from Stansted) Limoges, Reims, Valladolid, Tampere etc. And so what if the airport is an hour away from the city. It's just gunna take less time at check in/customs than the main international airport and it also gives some people who live near these airports some decent traffic. Now £72.12 for 4 people return between Stansted and Reims (incl. taxes) is cheap and if we need to get into Paris, we're not going to pay £217.80 for 4 return flights (family aswell) to CDG on BA!

-Stephen

sevenair

Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:03 pm

Well, they seem to be selling like mad-i booked NCL-DUB-NCL on mon afternoon, come the evening, a free flight had shot up to £60. SO there are popular, and its not just FR who dont print taxes included in their prices-look at FlyBE.com, its only 10p each way NCL-Belfast-NCL, but the actual ticket costs £40 with taxes, more than double what FR tax on a similar route. ANd not way is it the tax payer-because its the passenger who pay the taz-not the tax payer

LBA

Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:54 pm

I don't understand why everyone blames FR for receiving the subsidies. FR ask for the subsidy, the local authority gives it them. If the local authority are breaking European rules on State Aid (which are V complicated, I work with them everyday) by giving more to FR than they legally should its a local authority problem not FR's. It appears local authorities are bending backwards (and breaking rules) to get FR flights to their local airport.

Pe@rson

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:19 pm

"I absolutely don't like Ryanair's public appearances."

LCCs, like Ryanair, survive on their publice appearances. Take Easyjet. Most people, through watching Airline, knows of the carrier and its chairman. In the USA, most people have heard of the founders of WN.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:30 pm

I think if Ryanair was on "Airline" and not Squeazyjet, FR would have a whole lot fewer passengers  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Can you imagine weekly images of the hordes of stranded passengers round the FR Customer Non-Assistance desk at STN being told "Too bad, we cancelled the flight, catch a bus you scrounging gits, what do you want for 50p, Concorde ?!" And Michael O'Leary making the occasional cameo appearance waving wads of 50 pound notes and yelling "Haha, kiss my a** for your airport tax refund, suckers !".

Could be good for a larf !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

sevenair

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:59 pm

FR are cheap, punctual, clean, efficient and just amazing!

Pe@rson

Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:05 pm

"FR are cheap, punctual, clean, efficient and just amazing!"

I second that.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BrusselsSouth

Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:29 pm

FR are cheap, punctual, clean, efficient and just amazing!

I second that too (except the clean, maybe).

I've flown with them many times, mostly for their prices (and in my personal case, as I live just 1 kilometer from CRL, it's just much more easy than BRU). I've always been on time (max delay : 25 minutes, most of the time ahead of schedule). They have given me the opportunity to make trips I wouldn't have made otherwise. It's amazing the activity they've created here in CRL, around the airport (they are the only airline here...). Lots of jobs have been created, directly and indirectly. Now you can see tourists in Charleroi downtown, which used to be a dead place. That's for Charleroi... don't know for other places.

Can you imagine weekly images of the hordes of stranded passengers round the FR Customer Non-Assistance desk at STN being told "Too bad, we cancelled the flight, catch a bus you scrounging gits, what do you want for 50p, Concorde ?!" And Michael O'Leary making the occasional cameo appearance waving wads of 50 pound notes and yelling "Haha, kiss my a** for your airport tax refund, suckers !".

I don't think it's legal not to refund taxes, indeed... But hey, weekly and hordes are probably exagerated. Statistics show FR flights are not more subject to cancellation than other airlines...

don't understand why everyone blames FR for receiving the subsidies. FR ask for the subsidy, the local authority gives it them. If the local authority are breaking European rules on State Aid (which are V complicated, I work with them everyday) by giving more to FR than they legally should its a local authority problem not FR's. It appears local authorities are bending backwards (and breaking rules) to get FR flights to their local airport.

That's a fact... Why do local authorities give the subsidies if it's illegal ?

Regards
BrusselsSouth

MCMAHONSMR

Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:23 am

We're off to Dublin for a week in December. Being somewhat tired of Dublin, only been there 20+ times, so took a look at FR for a daytrip to EDI. C'mon.... 6 passengers taveling for 180euro day return out at 0940 and back 2200. So, works out to 30 euro per person for the tax. My attitude...it's a one hour flight. Aer Lingus only serve EDI once daily this winter while FR go 4 times daily. Flight times are convenient. No baggage - so no worries with excess baggage. We have no intention of purchasing tea/coffee. This was a no brainer. It's a bus service - and if you go into it expecting it to be such you will come out pleased. Plus, Edinburgh is a great city.

Looking very much forward to it....

DoorsToManual

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:50 am

Well, I work for easyJet but I'm actually a fan of Ryanair. Like some others, I don't always agree with the way in which they advertise certain services - but at the end of the day, no one forces me to fly Ryanair, and I know that I probably won't get any money back if my flight is cancelled.

I'm quite disappointed that they or the airport authorities have broken some EU laws (maybe they didn't know), but I know that the EU is very much in favour of low-cost airlines, as long as they can compete fairly with respect to commercial agreements between airports.

We compete with them, but I hope they are here to stay. It's thanks mainly to this airline that I was able to travel around Europe during my student days!

rgds

p.s. interesting article from today's Financial Times on the Ryanair case:

http://search.ft.com/search/article.html?id=031120000936&query=ryanair&vsc_appId=totalSearch&state=Form

[Edited 2003-11-20 17:55:26]

Richard28

Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:57 am

If the subsidies are available to all airlines, irrespective whether they are an "LCC" or not then this is fine.

If however, FR are offered subsidies into an airport, whilst another is not, then this is clearly not in the long term interest of the consumer.

As simple as that.

Rich.