laddb

Plane Spotting At MCO

Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:38 am

Hi,

Can you still plane spot from McCoy road? I used to do this a lot in the 90's. Recently, someone told me you can't stop anymore since 9/11, but I have not investigated. How can they keep you from pulling off the side of the road? I drove by one night a year or two ago and there were cars driving on McCoy, so they have not closed the road. Anyone remember the guy who sold hot dogs and drinks?

Anyway, even though I only live 1.5 hours away, I've been flying out of Melbourne or WPB lately, and I want to do some spotting now that the weather is getting nice.

Thanks

syncmaster

RE: Plane Spotting At MCO

Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:20 am

I was there a couple of weeks ago, there are signs saying you can't do it, but there was atleast 3 or 4 cars of people out there spotting. So I guess it just depends on who is watching.

Dazed767

Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:33 am

They put up a fence, there is still a little room for you to pull over, but not much. Delta Air Cargo is OK, but they'll chase you out.

http://www.orlandoairports.net:/goaa/main.htm

click on aircraft spotting

miamix707

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:41 am

Dazed, who will chase you out? security? How about if you just stay in your car? .. I've been at that spot once or twice before 9/11 and also near the fence on the other side of that runway further in (this place i know i'll get moved on quickly as you are in the open field) ..if there is still a way to reach it

HlywdCatft

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:44 am

Dazed, who will chase you out? security? How about if you just stay in your car? .. I've been at that spot once or twice before 9/11 and also near the fence on the other side of that runway further in (this place i know i'll get moved on quickly as you are in the open field) ..if there is still a way to reach it.

I got kicked out last summer over on Cargo Road by the approach to Runway 17. There is a gravel area with no signs, but a rent a cop told me I couldn't part there.

miamix707

Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:24 pm

traffic at MCO is not as interesting as it used to be, at least for me anyways. So if I want to get a shot I'll just take it and leave before anybody can say anything. In case they approach me: Oh, I was just taking a picture of a plane because I like airplanes; but dont worry sir, I was just leaving..

-mario

MxCtrlr

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:17 pm

Actually, the best place (IMHO) for spotting is off Hazeltine National Drive, back near the Post Office building (near Flying Foods' offices). The planes fly almost directly overhead and security isn't a real problem (except at night).

Frontage Road is definitely NOT a good place to stop any longer as FHP and OPD spend a LOT of time patrolling that area and it is all posted with No Stopping/No Parking signs.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(