Are We Going To See Midway Again?

Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:56 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Howat
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rodney Hill

The local news here in Raleigh just reported that a private financier from Connecticut is considering offering to purchase Midway's CRJ's. Apparently, it is the same person that coughed up money for Midway to stay in business two years ago. (I wasn't aware that happened)

It was reported on WRAL-TV and they have not yet posted it to the internet.

(History - The original Midway (1980's) was based at MDW, that went out of business. Midway 2, started at RDU in the '90's. That went bankrupt in 2001, before September '01, they managed to stay in operation, but shut down 9/11. Re-opened later still as Midway - shut down - restarted ops as a US Airways regional - then shut down for the last time, asked bankruptcy court for liquidation. That is pretty much how it went)

Are we going to see Midway again?
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

luv2fly

RE: Are We Going To See Midway Again?

Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:39 am

Is this person hoping that the 3rd times a charm. I think if your going to call yourself Midway as an airline you should in fact offer a flight to and from that airport....
You can cut the irony with a knife

mariner

Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:49 am

Here's the drum - it's Wexford Capital:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2003-11-19-midway_x.htm

They're pretty successful. But I would think they'd just buy the planes for their own airline, Chatauqua (or is it called Republic now?).

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Dalmd88

Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:50 am

Your history is a little off. Midway2 also started at MDW in 93 I think. They then moved to RDU a couple of years later.

as739x

Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:54 am

Maybe he will buy it then start operating United Express from IAD? Third times the charm, then maybe third hub is the charm to!
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

luv2fly

Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:23 am

I knew they flew from Midway when they first came back again, it just seems to me that if you call yourself Midway you should actually fly there at some point. They should have changed there name at some point after departing Midway for good. I just thought it was stupid to call yourself Midway when you are hub'd at RDU.
You can cut the irony with a knife