SInGAPORE_AIR

China Airlines May Join SkyTeam, Q3 Profit Up 43%

Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:45 am

China Airlines may join the SkyTeam alliance by extending partnerships with Delta Air Lines and Alitalia.

"Joining the alliance will deepen our partnerships with member airlines and give us a global image. Cost reductions may also be achieved through joint purchasing in future," said Roger Han - spokesman for the airline.

Yesterday, China Airlines posted Q3 profits of NT$1.31 billion / US$38 514 000.

More information at the

Information was gathered from the above hyperlinked webpage. Full information can be viewed by clicking the above hyperlinked webpage. Information was rephrased and not copied and pasted with the exception of quotes. Currency conversion from New Taiwanese Dollar to U.S.A. Dollar courtesy of the Singaporeair.com Currency Converter
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

scottysair

RE: China Airlines May Join SkyTeam, Q3 Profit Up 43%

Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:43 am

Well, this is excellent news for CI is join with the skyteam alliances and no date was set with China Airlines. This is will have seventh airlines to join with alliances. Which one is could to be next airlines to join? Thanks!  Smile

chiawei

Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:59 am

chance of that happening will be slim.

You will see PRC start screaming that taiwan is not a country. it's airline should not join any kind of alliance with official carrier to skyteam country (AF, KE....)

PRC would not even allow a plane carrying campaign of promoting taiwan travel industry. Does anyone think that barbarian across the straight would allow this?

gigneil

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:11 am

Skyteam likes to rack up airlines with poor safety records it seems.

KE and CI together.

N

wolfy

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:31 am

GREAT NEWS!!! I always hope that either BR or CI could join an alliance to increase its global presence.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:49 am

Great News?!?!

For any SkyTeam airline (particularly DL & AF) to place their pax on CI would be undeniable proof that they dont give a flying f^{k about their customers  Angry

What's particularly disheartening is that DL/AF took a chance on KE, and apparently "won". This increases the likelihood of them being accepting to CI.

I hope an pray that they have better sense than to take this airline in (despite DL's longtime desire for a TPE hub-like operation). I also like to call attention to the fact that every publication thus-far states CI wants to join SkyTeam. Never says anything about SkyTeam wanting CI (even though it already has a relationship with DL and AZ)
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jcs17

RE: China Airlines May Join SkyTeam, Q3 Profit Up

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:21 am

For any SkyTeam airline (particularly DL & AF) to place their pax on CI would be undeniable proof that they dont give a flying f^{k about their customers

So true.

What is it about Skyteam's love affair with mediocre Asian carriers?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

manni

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:29 am

Mediocre Asian carriers? You clearly lack the personal experience of flying the carriers you bash. In Mullin's wettest dreams Delta's product comes not even near the superior product Korean Air offers. Altough they did have safety issues in the past, Korean Air has put huge efforts in improving their safety record. When was the last time Delta tried to improve their inflight product, rather than cutting back on it?
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Airbus Lover

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:33 am

I am confident to say that Korean Air is a SAFE airline. As for CI, well, I don't think I'd say they are as safe as KE.

jcs17

Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:55 am

Mediocre Asian carriers? You clearly lack the personal experience of flying the carriers you bash.

You have to be kidding me. Compared to CX, SQ, MH, AN, and even JL...KE's product isn't even close. Its product is quite average for an Asian carrier.

When was the last time Delta tried to improve their inflight product, rather than cutting back on it?

When did I say DL tried to improve their inflight product? I hate Delta, I think their customer service is absolutely pathetic, and their inflight product is rather weak for a US airline.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

ConcordeBoy

Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:16 am

As for CI, well, I don't think I'd say they are as safe as KE.

...or any other airline for that matter  Laugh out loud

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gordon Tan
View Large View Medium

Photo © Samuel lo

View Large View Medium

Photo © FransZwart
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gil Yu

gigneil

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:02 am

I would sincerely rather saw off my testicles with a dull rusty spoon than fly somewhere on a CI plane.

N

manni

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:12 am

Jcs17,

I assume you have flown atleast once and preferably several times with CX, SQ, MH, NH (not AN), JL and KE, so that you're able to make a balanced comparison between these airlines, with the outcome that KE is rather average. I'd like to read the details please...  Insane

Wether you like Delta or not, does not matter, point is that when airlines are trying, and succeeding so far, to improve their weak points they should be given credit for that, 'cause that in itself is already a huge achievement in todays 'cutting back' culture.

dynkrisolo

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:14 am

I would sincerely rather saw off my testicles with a dull rusty spoon than fly somewhere on a CI plane.

One way or the other, I dare you.  Wink/being sarcastic

CI is unsafe, but I would rather fly CI than mutilate myself like this. Being dead is much more appealing to me than being a eunuch for the rest of my life.  Wink/being sarcastic

flykal

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:24 am

What is it about Skyteam's love affair with mediocre Asian carriers?

...and what is it about Star Alliances love affair with mediocre airlines?

You see, how easy it is to make unsubstantiated, uninformed claims about anything.

And sadly, the airliners.net message board is full of that kind of crap every single day. People who have no idea making the most ridiculous statements. Welcome to a.net...
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

Snoopy

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:35 am

Well, I fly regularly throughout Asia on business and I have to agree with the mediocrity bit. CI is certainly nothing to get excited about. On my flight to Taipei it comes after CX, EG, EL, BR in that order.....

Anyway CI joining Skyteam is certainly not a reason for me to rethink my FF program strategy. I'll stick with *A and OW.

manni

Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:38 am

Skytrax ranks KE and CI in the 4 star category, amonst them are JL, NH, OZ, QF and MH. CX and SQ are, according to the Skytrax rating system, the only 5 star airlines. Interesting detail, all US majors carry 3 stars in the Skytrax list.

http://www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/5star.htm

ConcordeBoy

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:53 am

if getting there in 1 piece means slightly less recline, less pitch, and an FA with 20years more age on her.... I'd call that a pretty fair tradeoff  Laugh out loud

manni

Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:06 pm

The majority of the flying public seems to be confident that they will travel in comfort, safe and well treated on KE rather than on those airlines you seem to think are a pretty fair tradeoff. But, then again, I wouldn't be surprised that you have actually never flown KE. Didn't you, wiseboy?  Insane

alexchao

Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:10 am

China Airlines isn't a bad airline.

True, their safety record needs improvement, but I think they're improving.

-alexchao

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos