sarrebal

ATL-MXP Most Profitable DL's Trans-atlantic Route

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:08 am

I just read that ATL-MXP is the most profitable DL's trans-atlantic route.
Source: Ms. Ribaga, sales director of DL in Italy.
It is operated with a 767. Why don't they upgrade to the 777?

FrequentFlyKid

RE: ATL-MXP Most Profitable DL's Trans-atlantic Route

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:21 am

I'd caution you to the statistics behind this information. I'd don't necessarily doubt the information, but question what qualifiers it carries with it.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:25 am

A route they didnt feel they could operate before an alliance with the incumbent carrier is now their most profitable...........?

Anyone got some salt?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

behramjee

Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:00 am

This just shows that a vast majority of DLs pax on this route are bound for other USA cities other than ATL so naturally the higher price tag would be attached to the ticket/fare.

But yeah I am surprised but then again there is NO COMPETITION on this route (nonstop flights that is) so DL has the lead here + AZ codeshares on this flight too so that presence within ITALY helps a lot.

Is DL the cheapest to fly from MXP to USA than AF-LH-BA-KLM-LX???

jcxp15

Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:17 am

They could also be making a lot of money via cargo (i.e. mail, and other shipments), which would not demand the size of a 777....

MaverickM11

RE: ATL-MXP Most Profitable DL's Trans-Atlantic Route

Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:29 am

"This just shows that a vast majority of DLs pax on this route are bound for other USA cities other than ATL so naturally the higher price tag would be attached to the ticket/fare. "

Generally, connecting traffic is lower yield than local traffic. For example, you can fly from Dallas to Milan on a number of airlines (lots of competition) through intermediate cities, but you can only fly one airline nonstop (not a lot of competition) between Atlanta and Milan, thus the higher premium.
E pur si muove -Galileo