Qantasclub
Topic Author

What Is The Best Civil Aviation Magazine?

Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:55 pm

I am looking to subscribe to a civil aviation magazine. What are some recommendations?
Long Haul is the only way to go

syncmaster

RE: What Is The Best Civil Aviation Magazine?

Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:57 pm

Airways, Airliners, Airliner World....all very good and can be picked up at the local Barnes and Noble or Borders.

futureualpilot

Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:59 pm

Private Pilot, FLying are also good, to add to the list Syncmaster has
Life is better when you surf.

Coronado990

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:09 pm

I don't know if you have Borders or Barnes and Nobles book stores in Australia so I have opened up my Airliners magazine and found an e-mail address for you to request a subscription airliner@bellsouth.net
Uncle SAN at your service!

syncmaster

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:10 pm

Sorry about that....wasn't paying attention  Sad

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:15 pm

We have Borders. No Barnes and Noble. Thanks, guys! Am deciding between Airways, Airliners and what about ATW?

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:17 pm

If you are interested in airlines, it is definitely Air Transport World...
Published in USA... If you are interested in General Aviation, I do not know.
xxx
For aviation in general - airlines, military and all, both "Flight" (UK) and "Aviation World and Space Technology" (USA) are the best. I personally subscribe to both, since many years ago, as well as Air Transport World.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:19 pm

No, definedtly just interested in Airlines rather than general aviation. ATW-is that the one that all the airline managers get for free?

777-200X

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:23 pm

Qantasclub,

ATW is a very good magazine, it is gear more towards airline industry. You can visit their web-site at http://www.atwonline.com/ and check it out.

COEWRNJ

Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:24 pm

I have a subscription to Airways and Airlinerworld. They are both great. Both a little pricey but great.
Does anyone know anything about Airline Review Magazine. I can't find it in bookstores. Is it good? Is it worth a subscription?

ual777contrail

Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:58 pm

Save your money, go to Barnes and Noble and read it for free, they aren't worth buying.
IMO

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

USAFHummer

Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:00 pm

I'd recommend Airways and Airliner World...Airliners is too historical based for my tastes, but if good historical articles are what your after then its perfect...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

behramjee

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:00 pm

I recommend ONLY 2 magazines...AIRLINER WORLD and AIRLINE REVIEW...Airliner World is the best in my eyes...ATW would be third and then AIRWAYS!!!

You'll be fine by just subscribing to one and that one mag should be AIRLINER WORLD only.

keesje

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:47 pm

IMO Air international is a quality magazine, lots of news every month & nice in dept articles.

broader scope then others
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:53 pm

Flight International (for all aspects of Aerospace news, business and technical articles)
Airline Business (subscripton only, but very interesting business articles and interviews with airline CEO's)
Airliner/Airline News (is it the same magazine ? They always look so similiar) - more enthusiast than business oriented, but very interesting (some of the Captain's Anecdotes do go on though, about Airway 17 this and Vector DME that - ho hum !). Always great pics of new liveries though.
Air Transport World - very business, US-based (so most of the rest of the world only rates a mention). Very good in depth business articles about US carriers though.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

American 767

Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:05 pm

I subscribe to Airways and Airliners, those are good airline magazines. I like Airliner World too, I buy it from time to time when there is something in it that appeals to me. It can be anything from the operations of an airline, an aircraft type in detail to an airport anywhere in the world.
I also got a free copy of Airline Review, I knew this magazine through an ad banner here on airliners.net, I never subscribed to it, maybe I will someday, but I go often to the discussion forum on there website. It's the same as airliners.net but on a smaller scale.
There is one in French I like to read, it's Air & Cosmos. That one isn't just about civil aviation, it's also about defense and space. I buy that one also from time to time when there is something appealing, especially when they talk about Airbus Industries. I read a couple of issues about the A340-600, one about test flight and the other one about entry in revenue service. The last issue was all about the A380 in detail.

Conclusion: if I could choose only one, I would pick Airliner World.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Will check the mags out. To be honest, this website and the discussion forum provides the most up to date information (and MISinformation, sometime!) in the industry, way before most magazines. Its great. I've only just discovered airliners.net and can't stay off it for too long. Had NO IDEA there were so many airline freaks out there like myself....my wife and mates have always thought I had a pathological obsession with commercial aircraft and airlines and it's great that there are so many of us out there!

United Airline

Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:38 pm

ATW and Flight International often give out wrong information, however.

KAL744

Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:40 pm

How about the German "Aero". Unfortunately the magazine is only in German language.

KAL744
fly Korean Air ....

Olympus69

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:34 pm

Of the 3 airline related magazines I read - Airways, Airliners and Airliner World, AW has the most hard news. (They advertize "19 plus pages of global news".) It is the most expensive of the 3, but often has pull-out sections, or inserts such as posters. It is British, and this sometimes shows up with articles about minor British airports for example.

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:53 pm

Flight International if you want news...Airline Business if you want in depth articles...Airliner World if you want pretty pictures.

Airways and Airliners are last month's news and pictures and fluff articles. But the pictures are nice in spite of being last months news.
E pur si muove -Galileo

VectorVictor

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:31 am

Airways and Airliners were both obsoleted when Airliner World showed up in 1999.

There are some interesting articles in each, but they both lack editorial restraint (too many articles are too wordy) and an overall unifying design (pages of solid text and poorly designed page layouts). It makes a graphic designer, like myself, cringe whenever I pick up a copy.

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:35 am

Qantasclub - re Had NO IDEA there were so many airline freaks out there like myself

Welcome to the Dark Side ! Anorak and bobble hat are compulsory attire.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:38 am

What about the star trek uniforms. Surely they are standard issue as well!

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:38 am

Pointy ears are optional  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:41 am

Repeat after me....I am not a geek...I am not a geek..I am not a geek. Can we get thrown out of the forum for carrying on like this?!

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:42 am

I hope not ! Did you read the Ultimate CWL Thread from earlier this week ? Got WAY out of hand !

I must be good, I must be good...

Ryanair737

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:44 am

Airliner World is my favourite  Smile.

Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:46 am

Medication for Mr Hutchinson, PLEASE....
Anyway, I'm going to bed. It's 2.45am in Melbourne!! See what these forums do to me? Very sad. I'm expecting an email from the site's administrators in the morning. Actually, they warned me to stay away from you........

CactusA319

Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:26 am

For a magazine geared towards enthusiasts: Airways, Airliners, and Airliner World (the latter is probably the best one, but also the most expensive)

For a mag geared towards the business side I reccomend Air Transport World. And whoever said the magazine is slanted towards the US is dead wrong. They give equal time and space to foreign carriers.

And Airline Review sucks is very subpar. Don't waste your money on that rag.

Tom in NO

Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:16 am

1) Airliners
2) Airliner World
3) Airways

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:57 am

I used to subscribe to Airliners World, but it's too bad it's so EXPENSIVE! Running 60 or 70 dollars for 12 issues...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

JAL777

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:00 am

Without a doubt... Flight International.

Especially since I subscribed 5 years ago for a 1 year subscription at a student rate of $70 and they STILL haven't stopped sending them.  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

So that's been 260 issues for $70. Not bad. Big grin

backfire

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:30 am

Especially since I subscribed 5 years ago for a 1 year subscription at a student rate of $70 and they STILL haven't stopped sending them.

First law of scamming JAL777 - don't let on that you're doing it. Especially if the first person replying to your post is actually working for the magazine.  Big grin

JAL777

Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:47 am

How am I scamming them? It's their glitch.

FoxBravo

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:36 am

Among the weeklies, both AW&ST and Flight Int'l are excellent, although lately I have found AW&ST to be a bit lacking in the commercial aviation department. Flight has maintained a balance between commercial and military that is more in line with my personal (and business) interests, but of course that's a matter of taste. I still subscribe to both, though.

However, if you are just starting out as an enthusiast, and are looking for more general coverage of airline-related topics--as opposed to a time-sensitive, news focus--both Airways and Airliners are very good. I recently let my subscriptions lapse--I just didn't have time to read everything!--but I still enjoy picking one up in a bookstore from time to time.

As for non-English publications, I agree that Air et Cosmos is great, and I try to snag a copy whenever I'm in France. As an added bonus, it's good practice for my French, which gets terribly rusty otherwise!

And yes, you are absolutely right--this and other websites are a great way to "keep your ear to the ground" and hear news before it hits the headlines!

Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

jeckPDX

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:48 am

Airways is my personal favorite. It can be purchased at Barnes and noble, waldenbooks, or Borders. Very high quality photos and updates on ailine news. They also have great prices on backorder issues fromthe past 3-5 years
Happy reading
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

SNBA319

Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:54 am

FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL

broad aspect, both business and technical, civil- business- and military and every other aeronautic subject covered. Ive tried many the past months, buyin them in the airports every time, and this is definitely my favourite.

I suggest you just buy a couple for at least two or three weeks, and see what interests you most; everybosy is loking for different stories Big grin

ghost77

Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:00 am

For me....

1. World Airline Fleet News... (http://www.wafnews.com) (HIGLY RECOMMENDED!)
2. Airways

Ricardo Morales - APM  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

teahan

Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:17 am

Aha Backfire, you've answered something I'd been wondering for some time. Big grin

FI is a good magazine, when it actually gets here (Ireland). Either arrives two weeks late or not at all. I've also noted a recent tendency to come in Groups of two for some strange reason. Obviously not ideal for something suppose to be delivering time sensitive information.

ATW is fairly decent if you can get it at the "industry rate".  Big grin
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

FoxBravo

Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:27 am

Same problem with FI here in the States--I thought it was because it had to travel all the way from Europe, but maybe it's just a general distribution problem. I have even had an earlier issue arrive after the following week's. Still, it's a great magazine.

ATW is ok, but I find that their features on individual airlines read more like paid advertising than objective journalism--that's why I stopped subscribing. I haven't read it for a couple of years, though, so maybe that has changed.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

A340600

Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:31 pm

Airliner World hands down
Sam Smile
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:02 am

SKYLINER is a great magazine along with Airliners, World Airline Fleets News and Airliner World. I don't really care for Airways. Here is the link for Skyliner:

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/

Stephen

Greg

Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:28 am

Aviation Week...no speculation..just facts (if not a bit dry).

AASilverbird

Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:23 am

I have to go with Airliner World as well. I used to have a subscription to Airways, but in the past couple of years have found that it isn't what it used to be. When Airliners first came out in the early '90s I think it was was Airways is now. Then Airways came and I think Airliners shifted it focus to a more historical viewpoint. Airliner World is the only one I have a subscription for now. Airways and Airliners I usually go down to Barnes and Noble or Borders and go through them each month.

I've always found it curious that none of these three are ever sold at airport newsstands...here in the US anyway. The one place I would expect to see them.

Sydscott

Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:35 am

Qantasclub, the 3 I read are;

1. Aircraft & Aerospace Asia Pacific. Gives great regional coverage as well as some global news.

2. Australian Aviation. Excellent QF, DJ, ANZ and Pacific News.

3. Flight International. For the international perspective because its more news than glossy mag. (No centrefolds of nude 747's!!!!!)

Anything else just read on the links on Airliners.net or here.

Qantasclub
Topic Author

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:22 pm

Thanks, SydScott. I get Australian aviation and it's quite good, but it has a bit too much general aviation stuff i'm not really interested in...just look at airline affaits, usually. But you're right, it does have some good articles. Their aircraft movements section is VERY comprehensive.

latinaviation

Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:33 am

From a pure business perspective, I recommend "Airline Business." Unless you can get a free subscription, which they severely limit, it is an expensive publication but their content, IMHO, surpasses even ATW. See http://www.airlinebusiness.com for more details.

boac707

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:32 am

I agree with Airliners and Airways...Airline Review is for the birds...the content is fair at best...my biggest concern in I subscribed, and delivery is awful. They are two months behind on delivery...maybe it's growing pains, but I am not impressed.
smokey classics to the end of time

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos