expressjetphx

Anyone Know About Qantas Antarctica Flights?

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:52 pm

Hey all,

I noticed a show about Australia on the Travel Channel, and there was a short segment about scheduled flights Qantas operated that flew over Antarctica and then turned around back for Sydney. They were operated by 744s and I believe they were seasonal. Anyone have any more info on this?
Thank you so much!

VirginFlyer

RE: Anyone Know About Qantas Antarctica Flights?

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:43 pm

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/

That website should answer all your questions

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

airways

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:46 pm

There was a report on that in a German magazine years ago. I believe it was FlugRevue. I don't remember all the details but the pictuers were terrific!

One funny thing was that all passengers were getting a window seat (or second row to window). Places were changed after half of the flight so that everyone got the chance to look out.

Are these flight no longer operated? When have they been terminated?

Michael
http://airsider.net

ssides

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:00 pm

I have heard of these flights, but I had no idea they were this expensive. I assume the prices listed are in Australian $$$, and I don't know the exact exchange rate, but will people really pay $1,000 to see Antarctica from the air like this? Do these flights regularly fill up?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

melflyer

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:30 pm

The first flight for the season operated on monday here in oz. It coincided with the solar eclipse over the south pole and apparantly was just about full. They are usually pretty popular giving everyday people a chance to see this very remote part of the earth.

Cheers

cfalk

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:46 pm

I thought those kind of flights were stopped after Air New Zealand splattered a DC-10 on a mountainside years ago. Apparently, navigation near the poles is a real pain, as most nav systems are not designed for those regions.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/view_details.cgi?date=11281979®=ZK-NZP&airline=Air+New+Zealand

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

aussie747

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:09 pm

Between November and January a company called Croydon Travel charters the QF aircraft for this fantastic journey, about 6 to 8 services run every year and all sell out, I think are priced between $999 and $4000 depending on seating and class although seating is rotated.
Services run from both Sydney and Melbourne.

NZ767

Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:35 am

No Cfalk.
Air New Zealand stopped it's Antarctic charter flights after the Erebus crash of 79.
Qantas is still currently running theirs.

As far as polar navigation goes, I know that compasses on aircraft flying near the North Pole all point south so presumably those near the South Pole would all face north.
I'm sure modern nav systems are designed with these situations in mind but I'll leave that to the experts to explain.
An interesting subject although those Antarctic flights don't go anywhere near the South Pole.  Smile

Philaboy

Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:42 am

I remember taking off from ADL and a QF 747-400 VH-OJD i believe maybe VH-OJO, anyway, it was on a flight to antarctica as we were told by our captain. we were waiting for it to take off first before we did. They departed from Adelaide, Melbourne, and Sydney. I remember reading an article in Qantas' Australian magazine on July 2001 and how they were scenic. A flight from Melbourne took 11 hours.

POSITIVE RATE

Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:58 am

From what i've heard the only seats worth getting are the expensive ones- $4,000. The cheapest seats- $900 DO NOT rotate and if you get one of those you'll be stuck in the center aisle and won't see a thing.

Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:50 pm

Aerolineas Argentinas currently has 6 flights scheduled to the South Pole in December and January... These flights are operated as charters, and can be booked trough travel agents. Since more recently, A-340 aircraft are used for these flights, but occasionally a 747-200 may be used.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper