MAH4546
Topic Author

AA To Start Daily Miami-Richmond, VA Service

Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:56 pm

American Airlines regional affiliate American Eagle, in it's continued expansion at Miami International Airport, will add non-stop daily service between Miami and Richmond, Virginia effective 6 January 2004. The service will operate with an ERJ-135 aircraft. Richmond, Virginia is the seventh all-new non-stop destination that AA has added from Miami since July, adding to Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and Guanacaste Liberia.

From Richmond, Virginia American Eagle also flies non-stop to Boston and O'Hare and American Airlines flies non-stop to Dallas.
a.

scottysair

RE: AA To Start Daily Miami-Richmond, VA Service

Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:20 am

This is very wonderful news for AA is continues expansion to northern Viriginia flight and is that possible for only 1 daily roundtrip nonstop, right? Which onen of those city could to be next of announces with the new flight? Thanks!  Smile

John

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:26 am

Still waiting for that inevitable PVD-MIA announcement, however I don't think this route would be feasible with ERJ service. They'd fill up at least a daily 738 out of PVD, I'm sure. Good news for Richmond, VA travelers, just the same. Surprised they're only using the 37 seat ERJ-135. You'd think the CRJ-700 would make more sense on that route....

AA777MIA

Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:35 am

WOW, had not heard that, that is good news...

Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:49 am

So which LCC is this a predatory move toward?

Big grin

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:35 am

Surprised they're only using the 37 seat ERJ-135. You'd think the CRJ-700 would make more sense on that route....

I think it is because there are no RJs based in Miami. The ERJ will rotate from Boston with Boston-based crew (flying BOS-RIC-MIA-RIC-BOS).
a.

L1011

Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:03 am

Good to hear this, but it would be much better with a full-sized jet. Everything here seems to be turning into RJ flights. For years we supported full-sized aircraft to EWR, LGA, DCA, IAD, BWI, and quite a few others. We even had a UA DC-8-61 from RIC to IAD, and an EA DC-8-63 service from RIC-EWR. We also had an EA L-1011 to ATL on Tuesdays. It was an A300 the rest of the week. Where are all these potential passengers?

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:09 am

Where are all these potential passengers?

1.) I would question the load factors of those larger aircraft... under regulation, those Eastern L-1011s may have flown mostly empty.

2.) Probably driving to other airports.

I'd be happy with RJ service instead of no service at all. The service is matching the market demand, and there isn't enough demand to financially support mainline aircraft, otherwise it would be operated with one.

JBLUA320

Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:17 am

In regards to the LCC post..

Its interesting because it doesnt seem like any LCCs have a stronghold on this route from any neighboring airports..

Southwest into FLL maybe the only airline they are butting heads with on ths route, but it seems as if RIC definately has the space to accomodate an LCC

In any event, good for American. Those RJs just keep taking longer and longer flights these days, dont they....

JBLU

DCAYOW

Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:23 am

The problem with PVD-MIA is the ERJs don't have the range currently.

Also the M80s are problematic on PVD-MIA unless AA uses one that is overwater capable. PVD's runway at 7,166 ft. doesn't help on hot summer day to MIA.

The overwater M80 would allow for more direct routing on PVD-MIA and could probably make it.

AA just added PVD-DFW so we can hope PVD-MIA will be technically possible soon.

Retorne ao céu...

scottysair

Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:32 am

Exactly and doesn't have with the range on ERJ either. This is better way to need get small plane with B737-800 or Super MD-80 aircraft. It is only for the range is 500 or 800 miles on their flight. Thanks!  Smile

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:20 pm

Southwest into FLL maybe the only airline they are butting heads with on ths route,

This is the only non-stop service between South Florida and Virginia excluding Dulles and WN does not fly to RIC (though are you referring to RIC being in ORF's cachetment area?). It has been said for a while that AA is annoucing eight new non-stop destinations this year from MIA (RIC is 7th), but, I must say, RIC surprised me. It's great news, but I was surprised it was chosen over GSO, ORF, or some other larger markets. And I was also surprised it is going to be daily, when CMH and CVG are still running only on weekends.

The problem with PVD-MIA is the ERJs don't have the range currently.

That's no problem. Providence is the single largest O&D destination from Miami not served non-stop, and, if I am not mistaken, the reverse is also true. More people fly between South Florida and Providence every day than to Indianapolis, Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlantic City, to name a few with multiple daily non-stops to South Florida. No need for MD80s either, because the 738s are perfectly suited for the route.
a.

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:42 am

The problem with PVD-MIA is yield as well. The yields are horrible and American is a conservative airline when it comes to putting eqp into a low yield market. They don't like to go into these markets with the largest capacity. They usually start routes with M80 then upgauge if market demands it.

However if ERJ had the sufficient range they could manage the low-yield traffic.

Right now American has effectively ceded PVD-Caribbean traffic to USAirways (via PHL / CLT) and Continental (via EWR) which are the only real options.

Since FLL is PVD's largest O&D market without nonstop service, they are probably afraid of starting PVD-MIA with something that would then be matched by WN doing PVD-FLL.

Retorne ao céu...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:03 am

The problem with PVD-MIA is yield as well. The yields are horrible and American is a conservative airline when it comes to putting eqp into a low yield market. They don't like to go into these markets with the largest capacity.

Yields might not the best, but that does not stop them from running and filling M80s from Miami to Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, and Pittsburgh, among other places. Miami is a not a discount bargain tourist destination, and neither are many Caribbean islands (the average family cannot afford 3a vacation to Grand Cayman or Casa de Campo).

Since FLL is PVD's largest O&D market without nonstop service, they are probably afraid of starting PVD-MIA with something that would then be matched by WN doing PVD-FLL.

MIA and FLL are the same exact market. I doubt that AA is very much worried at all. They compete with WN on every route WN flies out of FLL except ISP (and MDW if you count MDW/ORD seperately).
a.

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:18 am

Then the only reason why they are not doing must be the M80 performance on PVD's rather short 7,166 runway. The second or third shortest of medium hub airports.
Retorne ao céu...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:30 am

Then the only reason why they are not doing must be the M80 performance on PVD's rather short 7,166 runway. The second or third shortest of medium hub airports.

Like I mentioned, they could use the 738, which is used on a lot of NE routes to Philadelphia, Montreal, LaGuardia, and Hartford.

The real reason is totally unknown, only AA knows. There is obviously some logic behind why they are not flying it, but I don't see how it can be aircraft, market size, or yield issues. The best reason is probably a minimal market penetration in the Providence-area. It took them a long time to start DFW-PVD, a route, like MIA-PVD, that was always a "why did it take so long?". There will always be those markets that are not served "just because".
a.

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:02 am

MIA Yields:

BNA (M80) $.1944
RIC (ERJ) $.1679
PHL (757/738) $.1566
CLE (M80) $.1524
PIT (M80) $.1432
LGA (757/M80) $.1351
BDL (738) $.1272
IND (M80) $.1202

PVD (--) $.1139

It is not coincidental that PVD-DFW started after AA secured major labor concessions thus lowering their seat mile costs. This made PVD-DFW viable.
Retorne ao céu...

jeffrey1970

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:44 am

If they are going after a LCC it would be Southwest, since Southwest of course has flights out of BWI and also Norfolk, VA.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

flyCMH

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:46 am

Wow, very interesting information. You wouldn't happen to have the yields available for MIA-CMH/CVG, or where I could find a table with the aforementioned stats?

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:01 am

This website has great information on yields, but also on international and domestic load factors to / from US.

www.transtats.bts.gov

MIA yields:

CMH $.1370
CVG $.1719

fortress hub CVG!
Retorne ao céu...

flyCMH

Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:08 am

Thanks for the tip, DCAYOW! Very much appreciated.

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:10 am

No problem FlyCMH...!
Retorne ao céu...

John

Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:42 am

If PVD can handle a full Air Luxor A332 in the summer to PDL, then why would it be a problem for the MD-80? Although I think 738 equipment would be MORE suitable for a MIA run...What is the air mileage difference between PVD-DFW and PVD-MIA? How is that DFW run doing, are they filling it up?

DCAYOW

Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:09 am

The last time I checked they were blocking off seats on PVD-DFW (westbound). This means the flight isn't going out 100% full.

Also PVD-MIA routing may be longer as not all AA eqp is overwater. If they could do PVD-MIA overwater - it would be fine.

The M80 is a pavement hog. The Air Luxor A332 can do PVD-PDL because its operating in eastbound (tailwind) direction (therefore it is not full of fuel). The aircraft is operating at its heaviest departing PDL on the eastbound run.

Retorne ao céu...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:45 am

Thanks for the info DCAYOW.
a.

Boeing Nut

Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:25 am

AA To Start Daily Miami-Richmond, VA Service

And yet they are letting STL crumble....... Way to go AA.  Yeah sure
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:23 am

And yet they are letting STL crumble....... Way to go AA.

They have nothing to do with each other. American Airlines' goal is to obviously return to the black. Cutting back on unprofitable operations like St. Louis was an important step.
a.

mikeyCpvd

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:50 am

Is there a reg that requires aircraft to be equipped with more gas for overwater flights versus overland flights of the same distance. I knew there had to be life rafts and things of the sort. I don't have my FAR/AIMs on hand. Even if the MIA flights had to take a northwesterly departure to PUT VOR instead of the normal southern route the PHL, BWI, DCA, MCO, TPA flights that go to JUMPR and RIFLE (Side note: ATL flights take the northwesterly departure route as well. I guess because it is interior) , it definitely wouldn't take them longer than it would to go to DFW. I would think that they would surely make it a priority to get the 737 on that route as soon as they can, just so they wont be screwing themselves, because i doubt they will let an S80 do that trip in July. Also this time of year they are only blocking off 1 seat. Coach is allowed to book to 114, and first is still 14. For the rest of the work week, PVD-DFW is booked to, out of 128: 109, 102, 96, 107. Out of that, the F-class numbers are 12, 3, 3, 7. Not bad at all if you ask me...especially for a flight debuting in the low season after only a month. ORD routinely runs flights with those kinds of numbers in the winter.
Some cats think i'm 6 feet, I'm so deep; I can get d-d-down like a pessimist - Common

John

Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:09 am

Mickeycpvd, do you ever watch that S80 take off to DFW? Does it use up pretty much the whole runway?

flack4ric

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:15 pm

AA service RIC-MIA has been financially attractive for some time. Aside from the predictable North-South vacationeer migrations, also attactive for business access across Carib and LatAm, which, from RIC, means tobacco among other industries.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:34 pm

Thanks all for the fascinating info in this thread...poked my head in, and found out all sorts of interesting stuff. Just a few comments:

--The State of Rhode Island needs to tell the Warwick NIMBY's to stuff it, and lengthen that runway. There isn't a creek in the way like there is with the crosswind runway. So that quirk in RI state environmental law that allows localities to veto projects that involve wetlands, won't apply. I've been to PVD, what's the status of land south of the main rwy? There looked to me to be space to take it out to at least 9,000'.

--Good for Richmond! Better to get an RJ, as some have noted, than nothing--and the flight's daily, to boot. AA's cost structure may not support a larger a/c, even to the highest-yield South Florida airport. And who knows, if the flight does really well, AA could always upgrade it or add a second frequency.

--Alas, Bob, ProudtoflyAA is right that network carriers often tolerated poor load factors during the higher-fare Regulation era. Thus medium-size airports like RIC often saw DC-8-61 or jumbo-jet service even if they didn't fill these a/c. (NW flew 747's to MKE!) Also, network carriers have refined their hub structures since then, so that smaller a/c and greater frequencies are more profitable--and give pax more connection-time choices.

Richmond still needs a low-fare carrier, though. If it weren't for PHF, which is what, a half-hour closer than ORF, RIC would probably have AirTran by now. I know AirTran was there shortly after ValuJet, but their hub system at ATL is much bigger now and connecting feed would be better. And RIC is so underserved, that FL probably could run three dailies to ATL with little impact on PHF.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

John

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:19 pm

"The State of Rhode Island needs to tell the Warwick NIMBYS to stuff it." Easier said, than done! Runway 5/23 at PVD is surrounded almost entirely on both ends by residential areas, with the exception of 1,000 or so foot clear zones, I believe. The ONLY way to extend that runway is to start demolishing more properties, unfortunately. If you could compare PVD to Chicago MDW, essentially T.F. Green Airport is squeezed right in the middle, with no where to expand, logistically.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:26 am

So which LCC is this a predatory move toward?

Since there's no LCC in Richmond, this is an odd question.  Big grin

John...I didn't know PVD was hemmed in on the south, I thought there was an undeveloped area beyond the 23 clear zone. I was there in 2001, so it might have changed. RI needs to do something, though.

Jim

PVD757

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:44 am

having just read this thread, I must respond to a few points made:

PVD-DFW is not being weight restricted and is running 75-80% full with little to no local marketing, after only 1 month of service, during a relatively slow time of year.

PVD-MIA is far from a low yield market. Factor in the passengers that would connect to higher yield (i.e. Carribean, Latin America) markets, it would be an easy money maker, before or after AA reduced thier per seat costs. DFW is 1529 miles and is doing well, MIA is 1212 miles (317 miles closer), so the runway length and the MD80 "issues" don't add up. AA needs another jet-bridge at gate 12 (they lease 2 gates, only use 1 - gate 14). To get MIA service, 1 of the ORD flights would need to be re-timed or reduced to Eagle, to accomodate the early morning DFW and new MIA flights. This is somewhat easily over-comed, so read below...

The reason AA has taken so long to add DFW and (yet to be announced) MIA is BOSTON & Southwest Airlines. First WN: as a former AA-PVD employee, we were told by regional management that DFW/MIA would commence back in 1996 when the new terminal opened. After WN announced thier opening of the PVD station, those plans were put on hold. AA watched thousands of passengers flock to PVD from all over New England (and later MHT, when that opened) and began what I call "operation protect Boston." They matched WN fares from PVD, scaled back to minimal service and cried poverty at PVD (low yields) all the while ignoring the attention millions of new passengers gave to PVD. WN cannot offer fares from PVD to DAL thanks to the Wright Amendment and the MIA hub offers so many more markets than a straight PVD-FLL O & D filght would yield. So basically AA ignored the potential in PVD and stuck to thier guns in BOS (logical choice as much as I hate to admit it!). Now that B6 is coming to BOS, I think AA realizes that they cannot run and hide all the time, hence the PVD-DFW flight. They see that there is a market here and that they can compete without worrying about bleeding passenger from BOS. What they are doing is capturing the passengers who used to drive to BOS to get a DFW n/s, filling it in PVD at the same time creating more higher yield seats on the BOS runs. It's basically a win-win for them because thier loyal customers are less likely to look to another carrier from PVD while making more seats available in BOS. MIA service would do the same thing.

The runway issue should come to a conclusion soon (Master Pland and EIS in progress). There is room to the southwest of runway 5 to accomodate up to 9500 ft. (with home buy-outs, but nothing like STL). There is currently almost 3000 ft of clear space at the end of runway 5. There is no wetlands issue at that end of the runway and the RI economy needs it.

In short, MIA will make money give the locakl market and connecting oppurtunities and PVD's 7166 ft runway will (should?) be longer in the next few years.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:10 am

Thanks for the info PVD757. That's what I meant, the 5 clear zone, sorry for the error. The 23 north end of course is developed right up to the airport property. I had read elsewhere that 5 could be extended some distance.

Jim

PVD757

Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:17 am

DCA-ROC: I knew what you meant, it should be noted that the airport is indeed hemmed in, but there is adequate room to grow 5-23 to up to 9500 ft. 25-50 houses would need to go, but it's very doable. Thats it though, you won't see any more runway length here after that, no way, but it'd be enough to get us to the west coast and Europe.

DCAYOW

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:12 am

PVD757, I agree that yield mix from Caribbean connection traffic would raise yields, but AA probably has a bunch of other markets to put M80s that exceed value of revenue generated by PVD-MIA. I am not saying it won't happen it will eventually, but this is a factor in introduction.

Also, when Continental started PVD-IAH, they complained miserably that it was connecting few passengers. Nobody off to Mexico or Central America. The people were using it merely as link between Houston and Providence. The unfortunate aspect of this airline behavior is that Providence CAN support service to Houston, but Continental and Southwest tried it at the SAME TIME and both lost. So now both are gun-shy.

In the case of American and PVD-MIA, they are also worried about low-cost capacity going down to FLL at which point they will be TOTALLY reliant on Caribbean and Latin beyonds to subsidize the flight.

The issues / limitations with the runway are documented. The airlines have more conservative operational requirements. SABRE showed inventory control on PVD-DFW at initial phase of operation. During the winter months they could probably operate no problem, but I would expect to see inventory control coming back in the summer months. At least the flight doesn't depart between 1200-1500 or it might take too much of a hit.

The air miles between PVD-MIA - 1,210 USING STRAIGHT LINE JOURNEY, which I have explained is impossible with most AA M80s. They would need to be designated "overwater" in order to use a 1,210 mile routing. Also, the forecasted load factors of a PVD-MIA flight will probably be higher than one to DFW influencing payload - range performance.
Retorne ao céu...

PVD757

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:07 am

DCAYOW: Thanks for the post, you are very correct. The inventory control issue does worry me, but only to a point. As we agree upon the obvious need for the weight restriction, we also point out AA's hesitance to add the service in the first place (as with MIA). This basically proves that they wouldn't have introduced the service without planning on changing it to the 738 (to maximize the revenue) during the hot/heavy months. AA won't operated the route with 20 (weight restricted) empty seats on purpose or they would have put the flight elsewhere. Nor would it make sense to drop the flight during the peak PVD season.

As for HOU/IAH. Again, very correct...WN schedule planning took the blame for scheduling a PVD-HOU that left here at 6pm (1 connection to Harligen, Texas once you got to HOU). The PVD-Houston area market is another easily sustainable market for someone. As you pointed out, passengers flocked to the flight to go to IAH because of the lack of a previous n/s, which stripped the flight of having a good mix of O & D/leisure/business. CO matched WN fares so everyone hopped on the better timed flight (8am) and drove down the yields. The WN flight was changed to a CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO departure (which is usually packed - especially now that thier the only n/s in town - no more DLX), so it worked out in the long run. Having said that you can bet IAH/HOU is high on PVD's wish list along with MIA/FLL/PBI.

DCAYOW

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:31 am

Right on PVD757! PVD needs south Fla and Houston market covered. Hopefully it will come about soon !

Its a great facility for the South New England region.
Retorne ao céu...

PVD757

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:02 am

DCAYOW: Thank you for your kind remarks about our airport. It means a lot to me since I work here and care very much about it's success and our passenger's experiences here. It's tough living in BOS's shadow all the time, when we have so much to offer ourselves. Remember us when traveling to New England and enjoy another respected user rating!

flack4ric

Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:22 pm

MAH4546 - another good catch!