airmale

MEA-Syrian Airlines Should Merge?

Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:59 am

Would it be good if these two airlines formed a consortium like Gulf Air and SAS? Royal Jordanian could too be part of it, retaining the "Middle East Airlines" title.

All three carriers have interesting networks, and it would help RB with getting rid of their old fleet.

Check out Syrian's new website.

[Edited 2003-12-01 23:10:26]
.....up there with the best!

BA

RE: MEA-Syrian Airlines Should Merge?

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:03 am

No I don't think so.

Each country wants to have its own airline and this is proving true in the UAE.

Dubai created its own airline, Emirates and broke off of Gulf Air, Qatar did the same, Oman did the same, and now Abu Dhabi is doing the same with Etihad Airways.

The respect governments would never let such a thing happen and honestly I don't want it to happen either. It is good to provide competition and for each nation to have its own national carrier representing its country.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:04 am

Also, here is Syrian Air's website. The one you typed is incorrect.

http://www.syrian-airlines.com
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:11 am

I dont think that will work, even though it would sound like a good idea Egyptair and Syrian did once operate as one airline under United Arab Airline-but it didn't work and they broke up again after a few years.

airmale

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:16 am

Considering that another post mentions that SAS are breaking up too, will Gulf Air survive long now that even Abu Dhabi have set up their won airline? the only other union, Air Afrique, went bust.
.....up there with the best!

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:18 am

Air France and KLM are about to merge. Even though it makes sence to merge in theory, like you said they don't seem to work out successfully in the end do they...

BA

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 am

EA777,

KLM and Air France are about to merge, but they will remain to separate airlines until at least 2008 and might very well stay separate airlines well after.

Airmale,

It depends. Gulf Air will probably have to rely on Bahrain only. I really don't know whether they will go bust or not. If they do go bust, that will mean Bahrain will not have a national carrier, and I don't think the government will let that happen. They will probably keep Gulf Air afloat.

What might happen is Gulf Air will shrink...

Regards

kaitak

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 am

It's even more difficult in certain parts of the middle east; what would happen if, for example, sanctions were put on one country, but not on the other. Syria could, for example, find itself facing sanctions, but not Lebanon; would that mean the combined airline would be banned, or just flights from one. All sorts of complications.

It's an unusual situation involving Syria, because most other countries involved in combined airlines don't have such problems; not many people want sanctions placed on Denmark or Sweden (re SAS) and the Gulf countries like Bahrain, UAE, Oman etc. don't usually cause trouble.

advancedkid

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:33 am

Wow,
Syrian Airlines webpage is far better than that of
EgyptAir. Look, they even speak better English
there!

Kudos to Syrian and MEA!

Their SP's and 727 are my major attraction!

Thanks for the link,

Regards,

Advanced

yegbey01

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:38 am

Arrogantly speaking... MEA should take advantage of the A320 that Syrian owns and let them open up more routes. They can then use Beirut as a hub for both DAM and ALP.

But realistically, will never happen. Maybe more cooperation like the flights to BRU and CMN out it BEY.

But nothing beyond that!

BA

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:44 am

Yegboy01,

Syrian Airlines does operate flights to Brussels and Casablanca from Beirut.

They have a 1x weekly flight on an A320 that operates Damascus - Aleppo - Beirut - Brussels. They also have a 1x weekly flight on a 727 that operates Damascus - Beirut - Tunis - Casablanca.

They have 5th freedom rights on the Beirut - Brussels segment and Beirut - Casablanca segment (not on Beirut - Tunis though).

Regards

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:53 am

Dear Airmale -
xxx
While geographically MEA-Syrian would make sense, you have to think a little bit of the political opinions of these two neighboring nations... Lebanon is considered a "province" by Syria... the Lebanese are not too happy about the Syrian troops occupying Lebanon... I know what I talk about, my first wife was a Lebanese lady and her parents were not exactly "pro-Syria", well to the contrary.
xxx
Imagine I would suggest a merge of PIA with Air India... you know that would not work. For many reasons... not more than merging JAL with Korean Air...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

kevin

Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:31 am

taking into consideration the fact that both nations hate each other and the way Syrian government treats Lebanon there is no way this is going to happen. Only of course if Syria wants this to happen. Unfortunately Lebanon has no power in taking such decisions. Too bad because Lebanese have a very strong commercial "scent".

Azmi

Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:32 am

A merger between MEA & Syrian Airlines would be a catastrophe for MEA and Lebanon,mainly because of political reasons.The Syrians would want to dominate this kind of set-up,and this remainds me of the union between Egypt & Syria (1958-1961) which fell apart because the Egyptians insisted on having their say in every matter.
fly all airlines,visit all countries

OD720

Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:11 am

It won't happen. Lebanon and Syria may seem to have close ties, but the economies of both countries are very different.
Syria has a centralized, state sponsored economy unlike Lebanon, which has a free economy. Maybe an economist here may be able to help me out with the technical terms here.