aa757first

AirTran Flight Delayed For A Sticker

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:10 am

Atlanta Journal Constitution

A man who slapped a bumper sticker referring to terrorism and war on the side of an AirTran plane caused a four-hour delay for a flight filled with holiday travelers, officials said Monday.

The sticker, which authorities would not describe other than to say it was something about terrorism and war, was discovered near the passenger door on a flight leaving Atlanta for San Francisco on Sunday morning.

"Upon boarding, a passenger as a practical joke stuck, like, a bumper sticker on the side of the aircraft, on the side of the door," AirTran Airways spokesman Tad Hutcheson said.

A grounds worker noticed the sticker after all passengers were on board. The plane captain was notified by radio, and he decided not to take off. All 162 people on the plane had to get off and go through a second security screening.

Hutcheson said the jokester was discovered by screeners for the Transportation Security Administration. He was not charged with a crime -- nor was he identified by the airline -- and was allowed to continue on to San Francisco.

The plane left Atlanta at about 1:35 p.m., about four hours late, Hutcheson said.

What moron would do this? First of all, that's no where near funny. Second of all, doesn't he/she get the idea that security is no joking matter?

flyingbronco05

RE: AirTran Flight Delayed For A Sticker

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:12 am

Hutcheson said the jokester was discovered by screeners for the Transportation Security Administration. He was not charged with a crime -- nor was he identified by the airline -- and was allowed to continue on to San Francisco.

WHY?!?!?!
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

n844aa

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:17 am

I read in an article this morning that the sticker said "Terrorism = War".

I'm not entirely sure what message that is trying to convey (except possibly a painfully obvious one), nor why it would necessarily be perceived as indicative of a possible security threat. However, if the statement were reversed, it would make a lot more sense as an anti-war perspective or even as an overtly hostile one. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the article I read got the sticker's message wrong.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

Flyer732

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:20 am

That is not what the sticker said.

~Ryan

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:25 am

Are you going to fill us on in what it did say?

clickhappy

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:44 am

Gaddis! WTF did it say?

War IS Terrorism?

ssides

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:46 am

They should have never let that motherf***er get back on the plane. If I were AirTran, I would ban him from all future AirTran flights.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Flyer732

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:50 am

i'm not sure if they'd like it if I posted the msg on the sticker.
I'm sure it will come out at some point.

gamarocchi

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:55 am

From the Washington Times

"The AirTran Airbus A320 was being prepared to take off when an employee saw a sticker reading "Terrorism Equals War" on the cabin door's exterior, CNN reported."

I think the joke was a stupid one. Anyway delaying the flight for it was overreacting. Serious terrorist attacks never announce themselves with stickers or things like that.. I mean.. it was pretty clear it had been a joke.

cainanuk

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:55 am

Why the hell cant we just know what the damned sticker said??!!
Cainan Cornelius

OPNLguy

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:56 am

I'm surprised that they didn't nail him on some obscure FAR violation... If the airline wanted to affix a decal or something else on the aircraft they'd have to jumpt through also sorts of legal hoops, so why not this guy?

On the bright side, the bumper sticker that he slapped on there didn't say "Fly Delta" (Now -that- would have caused a real stink....)  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

srbmod

Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:33 am

I smell a lawsuit in this guy's near future, much like Michael Lasseter, who caused a security breach which caused the evacuation of ATL one Friday back in November of 2001. AirTran sued him over the incident, and settled with him. This joker should be charged with vandalism, and Ryan International should persue charges against this guy since it was their a/c.

FlyGuyClt

Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:41 am

Well I guess some people are just born into families with one limb on the family tree. And they just don't know any better.  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

AirDude66

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:27 am

Some people never learn lessons from the swamp.

They should have never let him fly. This is the type of activity that gives us all a bad name. Regardless of AirTran's decision - shame on the Ryan pilot for allowing him back on board. As the ISC it WAS his choice.

Screw LCC...fly the Majors.

futureualpilot

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:40 am

That was just dumb, I would have thought AirTran would nail him on vandalism or something of the sort. What a moron.
Life is better when you surf.

LastBaron

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 am

Almost as dumb as the box cutters in WN's lavs... not as "serious," but bad enough to delay 130 people for 4 hours... I wonder if they told the other passengers his name when he got back on and if he had a "pleasant" flight?

Airdude66, are you sure a "major" would have done any differently? It was up to the F/O, so it could have gone either way. Being an LCC does not enter into it. There are plenty of majors that f*&k up in worse situations too... at least they had a reason to delay the flight and not just let people sit on the tarmac the way "major" NWA has done in bad weather in DTW (for 8 hours!)...

GroundStop

Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:19 pm

AirDude,

Somehow, you have found a way to turn every topic into a LCC-bash. Yet, your posts are never constructive, and shed no light on any subject...ever. As has been mentioned, there have been a lot longer delays for a lot less acceptable reasons on the majors...namely NWA.

JP

travatl

Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:51 pm

Airdude66 -

No, you're right. Fly the "majors" (AirTran next year).

Because if this had been UAL, AA, or DAL, the pilot would not only have refused the flight, he would have stampeded off of the aircraft, called the union, called the chief pilot's office, called SOC, called the VP/Flight Ops, called the media; demanded a decontamination of the aircraft, then a decon of his bags, then a decon his uniform, then a decon of his hat, then a decon of his toothbrush; then settled back in, allowing a reboard - and then timed out...screaming "CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL". Of course the disrupted airline (UA, AA, or especially DL) would have, and the passengers would have ended up on an AirTran flight for reprotection.....

Yes, indeedy, fly the majors.

GACKASS!

Travis

JGPH1A

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:28 pm

So what ? It was a sticker, not a bloody limpet mine. Get over it.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

RiddlePilot215

Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:35 pm

This is just another pathetic case of where the TSA felt as though they HAD to do something, because sitting on their asses and harassing other passengers wasn't good enough.
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

737-990

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:17 pm

And why was the flight delayed for 4 hours? What was the necessity to deplane and resceen the passengers? What's wrong with pulling back to the gate, have the sticker removed and continue with the flight? What was the point of this whole exercise if they let the guy travel after all?
Happiest is a man who has his vocation as a hobby

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos