B747-437B
Topic Author

USA Today To Discontinue Chris Elliott Column

Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:12 am

Chris Elliott, arguable one of the airline industry's worst informed columnists, will have his column discontinued by USA Today.

USA Today cites his inability to "deliver a column that is consistent with the tone and the approach that we have defined" as the primary reason for his termination.

Elliott, in typical fashion, claims that his firing was not due to incompetence but rather due to a vast conspiracy orchestrated by US Airways management.

http://elliott.org/about/press/dotcom.htm
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

CO2BGR

RE: USA Today To Discontinue Chris Elliott Column

Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:14 am

Its about freaking time....
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

lehpron

Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:44 am

"There were rumors that my criticism of US Airways' inadequate customer service and inept management had prompted the carrier to threaten USATODAY.com to pull its ads."

That is not a consipracy, that is business, even though it sux ass, it is not like they forced his exile.

On the other hand, it sux, the guys cannot express his opinion unless it is either a good one or a bad one against another carrier. Love that [conditional] freedom of the press...
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

RIX

Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:24 am

Hope msn.com follows (so far they have his "5 worst US airports" junk on their "Spotlight" again).

"Love that [conditional] freedom of the press..." - the same as you are free to say what you want, they are free not to have it on their pages. Then you are free to find another place to keep saying it while we all are free to have our own opinion of what is going on or to ignore the whole story (that's what I probably should have done with the previous post). You, guys, make me ROTFL when I read all these whines about "conditional freedom of press/speech" here in the US or [Western] Europe. You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Get a life...

FrequentFlyKid

Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:56 am

Lephron, they fired him. Exile is not a word that fits here, but for your definition he was forced.

B747-437B
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:35 am

You wanna know why Elliott is even more of a weasel that we initially gave him credit for?

Not only did he publish his private correspondence from Kinsey Wilson on his website, but he also EDITED THE COMMENTS to change the context.

Today, he publishes this disclaimer :

Note: Because of an editing error, an early version of this article inadvertently left out two lines from Kinsey's original letter and one from my response. Both lines were restored in the current version. I apologize for the mistake.

Not only was Elliott a bad writer, it now appears he is a dirty unethical journalist too. Good riddance.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada