Topic Author

A New Start-up In The Middle East

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:49 am

Mena jet is a new low cost airline that will be operating between the gulf area and some of the former soviet republics.
I met the owners today and was informed that they will start operating by Jan 2004.
They just acquired 2 airbus A-320s.
They have a website,(still under construction),that says you can fly them whenever you want and wherever you want.(Sounded interesting to me).
Check them at
By the way,a new low cost airline was just started last month ny the name of al-arabia.
fly all airlines,visit all countries

RE: A New Start-up In The Middle East

Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:55 am

I think low cost airlines have huge potential to grow in the Arab world (if government restrictions are removed) but I think having 3 or 4 launch services more or less at the same time at one airport (Sharjah) can prove to be difficult-but they may suprise us (like Emirates). We'll have to wait and see

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:23 am

I presume by saying the owners you meant the Zamil Group of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Finance House of Bahrain? It will be interesting to see how they fare. I personally doubt very much that they will attempt to compete head on with Air Arabia as the market cannot possibly support more airlines on routes to Beirut, Bahrain and Damasus. There is CERTAINLY a low-cost demand to the former soviet republics, Sudan, the Indian subcontinent and Iran. I hope they will enter the market with a better internet infrastructure than Air Arabia, whose online booking tool is very unreliable.

Any ideas which destinations will be served first? I wonder why such airlines as MenaJet and Air Arabia wait so long to announce their routes...I mean it would make more sense to enable travelers to book inaugural flights way in advance, to ensure good load factors in the initial period of operations.

If there is a will, there is a way

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:59 am

Mena might do well as the exisiting competition on the routes from the UAE (especially SHJ) to the FSU mainly consists of dodgy operators flying old and potentially dangerous Soviet-era equipment. They might even be able to get premium fares because of their Airbus fleet...Anyway, as a former expat resident of the UAE, I say Mabrook to all the new mideast carriers!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:57 am

That's good news on the start up's in the middle east.
We have done some work for small air carriers (737) in that region and it was a good experience. We hope the best for all of them over their.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !