airxliban

Strange BA Upper Deck!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:06 am

While participating in the "Economy Upstairs" thread, I remember something from when I was a little kid.

I was flying LAX-LHR or vicky versa on a BA 744, must have been circa 1993 or so.

I went upstairs to visit the cockpit, and on the upper deck the seating was 3x3, in an economy style layout but all the seats had PTVs, where of course downstairs they didn't.

Does anyone have any idea of what this was? Am I just hallucinating? This was only occasion on which I saw this seating arrangement, and I probably went up to the cockpit every time on my 3 trips a year between LAX and LHR.

Any ideas?

On a side note, does anyone know if BA has plans to put World Traveller Plus on the upper deck? I spoke to a BA reservations officer a while ago and she said that some of the 744s were being converted to this layout.

Thanks in advance.

Air Liban
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

aussiestu

RE: Strange BA Upper Deck!

Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:31 am

I dont think any of BAs 744s in 1993 had PTVs upstairs......you may have been hallucinating. There are no plans to put WT+ upstairs as this would remove CW seats. WT+ is always situated just infront of WT and that is always on the main deck. I understand VS has their Premium Economy product on the upper deck of some 744s. BA is very much trying to standardise the whole layouts of their aircraft and moving WT+ upstairs would mean major changes.

klik

Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:37 am

BA were testing the inflight product in the early 90s: the seats had a screen with actual buttons (no remotes or touch sensitive screens), and were only on a select few aircraft. It looked a lot like VS's original system... thought I was the only one to have remembered....

B4REAL

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:27 am

It also may have been positioned there b/c if the a/c was equipped with a projection screen on the main level, the sizing of the screen may not fit upstairs, and the cost would be less with a screen and limited # of PTVs.

Or, you really were hallucinating!

Wink/being sarcastic
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos