bombayhog

JFK Airtrain To Start Dec. 17th

Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:07 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.airtrainjfk.com/airtrain/

One question though. This website seems to state that it will cost $5 to ride from the Howard Beach A stop to your terminal. I had assumed that this connection would be much like just another subway ride (i.e. you could use your metrocard for a free connection). Since the shuttle buses, however slow and inefficient they used to be, were free, doesn't it seem a bit much to charge $5 for this? From Jamaica to your terminal I could understand. Any thoughts/insights?

-bombayhog

bombayhog

RE: JFK Airtrain To Start Dec. 17th

Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:44 pm

No responses? Perhaps I posted at an odd hour.

jcxp15

Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:53 pm

Yea, I'm a NYC resident, and everyone I know who used to do the A to JFK is furious about them charging us $5 from the subway to the terminals, a ride which used to be free. It's the PANY/NJ making sure that no one uses the A train any more, forcing people to either pay $5 for a 5 minute ride, or take the train from either Jamaica or Penn.

On another note, I don't know what they're going to do with the fare control area at Howard Beach, since it is technically right in the long term parking area. Since rides on the AirTrain will be free from Long Term parking to the terminals, there may be a way to scheme it and just walk into the long term parking from the A train and then ride free.

planemannyc

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:27 am

I guess the one of the ways of collecting fares will be at Jamaica and Howard Beach -- passengers entering or exiting those stations will pay the $5. Then there is no fare collection needed while the passenger is on the train.

As a New Yorker, I find the fees to be very steep. Especially the Howard Beach connection. As I have mentioned on other threads, I find the AirTrain ride connecting through Jamaica quite inconvenient.

Anyway, I am glad that there is now an alternative (or there will be as of Dec 17). I for one plan to use it for photo ops!

Bombayhog, I posted a thread about the AirTrain opening on Dec 17, and there was hardly a response. Perhaps now that everyone has discussed the AirTrain so much (or given up on waiting for the train to start), no one has energy to discuss the opening!

jcs17

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:49 am

Oh well, $5 to JFK is better than the $11.75 to EWR.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

deltairlines

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:59 am

It'll still cost the $11.75 to get to JFK during peak hours...it'll cost $6.75 to get from Penn Station to Jamaica on the LIRR, then the $5 to get on AirTrain. At least during peak hours it is only $9.75...which is still cheaper than taking NJT to EWR.

A little side note, you can save money on NYP-EWR. You just need to buy two separate tickets...one for NYP-NWK, and then an NWK-EWR ticket. The total cost is $10.10...if anyone is so desperate to save the $1.65, here is your chance. (why NJT does this is beyond me, I'll ask the guys at railroad.net probably)

Jeff

planemannyc

Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:33 am

Jeff,

So you can buy the seperate tickets, but not get off the train? Or do you have to take a different train to Newark Penn Station and then take the train that stops at EWR?

This is good info, indeed! Thanks!

deltairlines

Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:56 am

You might be able to pull it off with the TVMs...I have never used a TVM yet, instead I have always just bought my tickets from the agents at Summit or NYP. I would assume that it should work.

Another (and even cheaper!) idea would be instead of buying two tickets is to simply buy a ticket to Elizabeth. It costs $4.55 for a one-way ticket from NYP to Elizabeth, which is one stop after EWR. On all the NJT timetables I've seen, it says that the TVM tickets are magnetically encoded, but if you don't have one, then you pay $5 to a TVM at EWR that lets you through the gates. My math tells me that it would then cost (only) $9.55 to get to EWR, which is $2.20 cheaper than the published fare. This however, only works outbound from NYC, but it still saves you money.

Jeff

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:09 am

Personally, it seems to me that the whole thing was set up to funnel price-sensitive tourists to and from JetBlue, and I don't think many Manhattan residents or business travelers will be using the service.

STT757

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:20 am

The JFK Airtrain is not owned/operated by the same agency as NYC Transit, nor were they/are they funded through the same sources.

The NYC Subway is controlled by the MTA and funded through State, City and Federal Taxes. The JFK Airtrain is owned and operated by the Port Authority of NY and NJ, it was paid for through a combination of Port Authority Funds and Airport surcharges.

There will be no "free transfer", there could ot be a "free transfer" because there would be no "fair" way of reconciling the two fare structures.

However you can use a pre-paid Metro Card, just as you can with the new World Trade Center PATH station.

The fare to travel to JFK via the A train at Howard Beach will be $7, $5 for the Airtrain ride from Howard Beach to the Terminals and $2 for the Subway fare. Discounts can count towards your Subway fare, but not the $5 Airtrain fare.

What's not fair is that for the EWR Airtrain there is a $7.50 surcharge for trips between NYC and the Airport, while the fare for rides from within NJ are only $5 Dollars. They have such a high surcharge on the NJ Transit/Amtrak trips from NY so they could have "parity" with the higher LIRR fares, if the surchagre for trips from NYC-EWR were only $5 Dollars the trip to EWR from NY Penn would be $2 cheaper (each way) than the trip to JFK.

When the PATH is extended to EWR, they will have a similar surcharge as with the NYC Subway at Howard Beach. It will cost about $7 Dollars to ride the PATH to EWR airport, that project may start within the next year.

As for getting around the surcharge at JFK by walking from the Howard Beach Subway to the Long Term Parking Airtrain station, forget about it. The Long Term lots station will be within the confins of the long terms lots fence, the only entrance/exit will be through the "toll plaza". First of all it's a hike, and second I think they do not allow foot access to the long term lots.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FLAIRPORT

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:41 am

I can see it now.... a bunch of people hitchhiking outside of the long-term lot! halarious!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:47 am

Like everything else in NYC, there are so many constituencies and special interests to satisfy that in the end, no one will be completely happy with the arrangement...

prosa

Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:25 am

As far as I'm concerned, the five bucks for the ride from Howard Beach is well worth it, considering how vile, rotten and disgusting the shuttle buses are.
In any event, it helps to put the cost in perspective. AirTrain users will end up paying $10 for a round-trip. In most cases that's going to be a very minimal percentage of the cost of one's flight from JFK. Airport and airline employees will be able to get monthly AirTrain passes for just $40, a reasonable sum all things considered.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:31 am

Compares nicely to $45 taxi ride, as it is likely even the flat rate JFK- Manhattan is going up to this...

FlyPIJets

Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:40 am

So, all the Airtrian does is replace shuttle bus service around JFK. It really does little to improve transit to/from Manhattan, am I correct?

Here is an idea:

On the 8th Ave. Subway line (A train) at 42nd Street (Bus Depot) there is an abandoned lower level platform that has express track access and special fare control. No one really knows why the IND built it, but it was used for a time in the 50's for "specials" to Aqueduct.

Why doesn't the TA reopen the platform and run express to JFK? Or (god forbid) allow the PA to do so?
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

prosa

Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:56 am

On the 8th Ave. Subway line (A train) at 42nd Street (Bus Depot) there is an abandoned lower level platform that has express track access and special fare control. No one really knows why the IND built it, but it was used for a time in the 50's for "specials" to Aqueduct.
Why doesn't the TA reopen the platform and run express to JFK? Or (god forbid) allow the PA to do so?

1. The old platform is no longer in anything close to useable shape, among other things the access stairways to the main level have been paved over.
2. The planned (and much needed) westward extension of the 7 train may require demolition of the lower platform (I say may because there's some dispute as to this point).
3. Expresses running from the lower platform are just going to be stuck behind other trains farther down the line.

TWFirst

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:13 am

1) RE: cheaper way to get from Manhattan to EWR via AirTran. There's and even cheaper way than buying 2 NJT tickets (1 from NYP to NWK and 1 from NWK to EWR)....

Take the PATH to NWK ($1.50), then NJT from NWK to EWR ($6.80). Total price: $8.30

2) I'm flying out of JFK this Friday morning (very early at 6:00am) and I've never done the A train to shuttle bus thing but wanted to try it. I realize this means I'll probably have to leave my apt. in Manhattan at 3:00am. My question: Do the shuttle busses run 24 hours? Is it easy to figure out where to catch it once you get off the subway? I take it from the posts above that they're not pretty, but I couldn't care less about that... just so it takes me from the subway to Terminal 4 and get's me there by 5 am.

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

sarrebal

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:19 am

TWFirst

You don't wanna get onto the A train at 3am.....trust me.

STT757

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:29 am

"So, all the Airtrian does is replace shuttle bus service around JFK. It really does little to improve transit to/from Manhattan, am I correct?"

I disagree, it can take 2 hours from JFK to Mid-Town Manhattan via road. This will provide a reliable form of transportation via Jamaica Staion that will take 45 minutes from NY Penn, a little over an hour if you take the Subway via Howard Beach.

It's also a first step towards an eventualy "one seat" ride to Manhattan, a direct link to Manhattan cannot be acheived until slots are freed up at NY Penn by the LIRR diverting some trains to Grand Central, or they build that new East river tunnel to connect the LIRR's Atlantic Ave branch to the new Fulton street transit complex the MTA is going to build.

Either way direct access to Manhattan from JFK would not be acheivable until 2012 at the earliest, until then this is a huge improvement over the current set up.

TWFirst

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:31 am

Sarrebal: Thanks for the advice, but I'm not concerned.

FlyPIJets

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:38 am

PROSA:

I hear you! Nice dream though, Airtrain now provides a link that would make a big loop possible between JFK ---> Jamaica ---> 42nd St. ---> JFK.

...2. The planned (and much needed) westward extension of the 7 train may require demolition of the lower platform (I say may because there's some dispute as to this point).

Hey, I thought the platform was put there to stop the Flushing line. Besides, isn't the 7 train extension planned for construction after the completion of the 2nd Ave. Subway?  Smile

Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

STT757

Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:44 am

"Besides, isn't the 7 train extension planned for construction after the completion of the 2nd Ave. Subway? "

No way!...

The 7 train extension will be started by 2005, they are already about to float the bonds. Expect an announcement before Summer about the 7 train extension as well as the Jets moving to the West Side of Manhattan, the 7 trains extension is going to cost about $1.7 Billion (give or take).

The Second ave Subway is going to cost in the neighborhood of $17 Billion, and take about 15 years to build. They are working out the final details with that project but it's not going to be built full length all at once, they will build it in sections over the next 15-20 years or so.

FlyPIJets

Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:04 am

STT757

"...The Second Ave Subway is going to cost in the neighborhood of $17 Billion, and take about 15 years to build. They are working out the final details with that project..."

You're so funny!  Big thumbs up

FYI to those not familiar, the 2nd Ave. Subway was first proposed in 1929 and has been an on going project since.

Seriously, though, I hope it does get built, REALLY!  Smile

STT757

Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:10 am

They are going to build the first portion which was started in the 1970s, from 125th street to 63rd?

When it gets to Lower Manhattan though is the big question, however Community groups etc are pressuring the MTA to commit to the "full build". Peter Kalikow committed to the full build, when that can be accomplished though is for debate.

I do believe though that they will indeed start (restart) construction on the first stretch through East Harlem-Upper East side.

jcxp15

Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:28 am

Yea the people funding the 2nd Avenue subway are smart, cause they know if they just give the MTA the money, they'll build 1 mile and then run out of money. This way, the MTA has to do something with the money, and there can be revenue train service while construction further south is in progress.

prosa

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:05 pm

I will be very much surprised if any construction on the Second Avenue Subway actually begins. Nine decades of vaporware-ish proposals and false starts just can't be ignored.

rjpieces

EK 345

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:25 pm

I believe there is money allocated for construction to begin next year.

TWFirst, please accept our advice...you REALLY DON'T want to take the A train to JFK at 3AM! I've taken it within the city and it is fine at that time...but as more and more people get off the deeper you go into Brooklyn it is quite scary! I don't suggest doing it alone with suitcases!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

STT757

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:27 pm

At that early hour you should get a hotel room at JFK the night before your flight, that way your already at the airport with a good nights sleep for your flight.

prosa

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:39 pm

TWFirst, please accept our advice...you REALLY DON'T want to take the A train to JFK at 3AM! I've taken it within the city and it is fine at that time...but as more and more people get off the deeper you go into Brooklyn it is quite scary! I don't suggest doing it alone with suitcases!

Like any other line, the A is very safe at any hour. The number of serious crimes which occur is infinitesimal compared to the number of riders, and many of the crimes that do happen are "more to the story" situations (e.g. ongoing disputes carried onto the subway) than attacks on wholly innocent passengers.

Ezra

Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:13 pm

The A is one of the trains where the conductor switches between the two center cars, depending on which side of the train the doors open. Though I don't know how much this improves safety, it does create a visual presence. TWFirst could ride in one of the conductor cars as an added precaution.

BTW, I feel pretty secure on the subway at any hour. In my experience, most riders in the 3:00-4:30 a.m. time period are sleepy people going home after a night shift. He shouldn't run into too much trouble (as long as he doesn't look like an obvious target). . .

sarrebal

Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:17 pm

TWFirst,

Really, don't get the A train that late.
Besides the bad areas you are gonna go through, there is probably a train every half hour that late (even worse if it's weekend).
I see you're from Rome. I'm originally from Milan, but I live in Brooklyn. I would not recommend to get onto the A train that late.
I mean, NYC subway is generally very very safe, but 2,3 and A train are not really the best ones to get onto, especially Brooklyn-bound nighttime.

jcxp15

Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:23 pm

Yea I take the train at all hours, and as long as you just don't look like you're a tourist or have that "I'm from the Upper East/West side and never ride the subway. Please rob me" look, you should be alright. Just try to stay towards the center of the train where the most people are and where you are closest to the conductor. Also, if you feel something just isn't right, or if you feel you're being looked at as a target, just get up and leave, and if worst comes to worst, you can see the conductor and tell him. Just use common sense and you should be fine!

cadet93

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:34 pm

Let me tell you that the EWR monorail is 5 dollars also. For the short trip from the train station to the airport. BUT....I have figured a way to save 2 bucks everytime. Buy your ticket from the machine to ELIZABETH from NYC, then get off at the airport. Pay the 5 dollars to ride the monorail and you save 2 bucks everytime. $4.55 to Elizabeth and $5.00 for the monorail. $9.55 that way.
$11.55 for the ticket to EWR from the same machine

TWFirst

Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:23 pm

No one has answered my question.

I appreciate all the dire warnings of traveling on the A Train in the middle of the night, but really, I am not concerned. I will not have large pieces of luggage with "please rob and stab me" bumper stickers on the side. If you never see me post on the forum after tomorrow, you'll all know you were correct, and I was indeed brutally murdered on the A train on the way to JFK. Feel free to hold a memorial.

In the meantime, what I would like to know and need to know is as follows:

1) If I do choose to travel on the train of death, when I get to the Howard Beach station, what the hell do I do? Is the shuttle bus stop well marked? Is it running at 4:30am? If I'm running late, are there cabs around? If worse came to worse, assuming I could successfully fight off all the Crips and Bloods that will undoubtedly be waiting to rape and pillage me at the Howard Beach station, can one walk to the terminals from there? Yes, I know it's a couple of miles or so, but whatever. Just want to plan for any/all possibilities.

Life isn't fun if you're not adventuresome.

And no Sarrebal, I'm not from Vatican City. People just think I am because I'm so holy and pious Big grin.

Thank you.

prosa

Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:08 pm

In the meantime, what I would like to know and need to know is as follows:
1) If I do choose to travel on the train of death, when I get to the Howard Beach station, what the hell do I do? Is the shuttle bus stop well marked? Is it running at 4:30am? If I'm running late, are there cabs around? If worse came to worse, assuming I could successfully fight off all the Crips and Bloods that will undoubtedly be waiting to rape and pillage me at the Howard Beach station, can one walk to the terminals from there? Yes, I know it's a couple of miles or so, but whatever. Just want to plan for any/all possibilities.

1. The bus stop is well-marked.
2. The buses run 24/7, though at that hour it might be 30 minutes between them.
3. It is very unlikely that you will find any taxis at the station.
4. It would be a very long walk.

TWFirst

Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:41 pm

Thank you PROSA.

I will probably end up taking a cab, but I've always wondered about taking the subway/shuttle bus combo.... that $40+ cab fare kinda stings. I take the subway/M60 bus to LaGuardia all the time with absolutely no problems.

prosa

Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:40 am

The A is one of the trains where the conductor switches between the two center cars, depending on which side of the train the doors open. Though I don't know how much this improves safety, it does create a visual presence. TWFirst could ride in one of the conductor cars as an added precaution.

Not always true. Two types of cars are used on the A: R-38's and R-44's. Conductors have to switch between cars only on the R-38's.

airjampanam

Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:13 am

Prosa.. When the A train pulls into the station, you cross over the tracks and enter the subway station, buses meet passengers immediately outside the station, you can't get lost.
If the bus isn't there, one will arrive shortly, or you can get information from token booth clerk.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

mikephotos

Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:15 am

I find it pretty funny that everyone discourages riding the A at 2/3am. I myself find it no big deal as long as you have 1/2 a brain and look like you know what you're doing. I've done it (2/3am rides) more times than I can remember. You'd be surprised how crowded it still is at that hour. Trust me, you'll be in a car with several people, mostly hard working stiffs on the way home. Your chance of getting robbed/mugged at 2/3am is the same as 9/10pm, which is very unlikely. I must say they have done major improvements with subway crime. Take it from someone who rides the A probably more than anyone (or at least the same amount) posting to this topic. Jcxp15 gave some excellent advice and I fully agree. You just need to be/give the appearence of confidence. Pulling out a Subway map, with cameras hanging around your neck, 5 pieces of luggage and 5 carat diamond necklace is probably not a good idea  Big grin

Michael

planemannyc

Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:45 am

Mikephotos, Man, and I was about to wear my diamond studded chain and the gold tooth to go with it on my next 2 am subway ride!  Nuts

Stay by the conductor's car, or by the motorman's car, and you should be safe. Earliest I have taken the shuttle is around 6:30 am and it was fine. Give yourself at least 30 minutes extra for the shuttle bus.

TWFirst, where are you taking the subway from? You can also take the E train to Kew Gardens/ Union Turnpike and take the Q10 bus. The bus takes about 30 minutes, so you are not saving any time; however, it is easier to get local cabs at Union Turnpike than at Howard Beach. Anyway, have a safe trip (both train -- or cab? -- and the flight). Where you flying to? I myself am flying to New Orleans on that day, but from EWR.

mikephotos

Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:57 am

Mikephotos, Man, and I was about to wear my diamond studded chain and the gold tooth to go with it on my next 2 am subway ride!

Just let me know what day you're gonna do it so I can send out the boyz to snatch the chain and tooth Big grin

Yes, the E/F/Q10 is another good option for cheap transpo to JFK if you have the time. At 3am, the Q10 shouldn't make that many stops down Lefferts so shouldn't be too bad. During the day it could take a while with the traffic lights and all the stops. On the positive side, you'll be dropped off infront of your term. and not have to deal with the long term/hb shuttle bus.

Mike

jcxp15

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:18 am

THe only thing is I think the Q10 only runs every 45 minutes or an hour at 3AM, so you'd have to time it somewhat right so that you're not waiting at Kew Gardens for an hour. With the A train at JFK the shuttles might wait there so at least you can wait in a warm bus.
Howard Beach station isn't bad, it's just the neighborhood the A runs through at those times. It's really not that bad as long as you look like you know what you're doing and use common sense.

TWFirst

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:35 am

Planemannyc: I'd be catching the A train from the W 4th St. station in Manhattan (Village). I could catch the E there as well.

It sounds as if the shuttle bus waits at the Howard Beach station until the next one arrives, and then leaves for the terminals, meaning there should be a bus waiting there when I arrive at Howard Beach at 4:30am.... correct? Perhaps it won't leave for a half an hour, but I'd rather sit on the bus than wait at a bus stop in Kew Gardens, fretting that the Q10 bus might not be coming for an hour (or at all).

If that's indeed what the situation is (with the shuttle bus) that sounds preferable, and not so bad. Can anyone confirm? Also, does anyone have any idea how long it would take on the A train from the W 4th St. Station to Howard Beach? I'm thinking an hour.

mikephotos

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:47 am

It sounds as if the shuttle bus waits at the Howard Beach station until the next one arrives, and then leaves for the terminals, meaning there should be a bus waiting there when I arrive at Howard Beach at 4:30am.... correct?

Not always, I've been there at times when the bus I was waiting for (there are different ones for the different terminals) had already left and the next one had not arrived. At that hour I believe they only run one bus for all terminals, it's been a while so not 100% sure.

Also, does anyone have any idea how long it would take on the A train from the W 4th St. Station to Howard Beach? I'm thinking an hour.

With the A making all local stops in Brooklyn at 2/3am, I would say roughly 45-55 minutes given no delays. That's from the time you catch the train, not including time waiting for it. If I were catching a flight, I was cushion it and budget an hour and change for that part of the leg, if not a little longer.

I haven't been paying attention to the postings since I mainly take the A during the day but I believe they are still doing construction on the tracks between Rockaway Blvd and the Rockaways. If so, the A will only be a Lefferts/Ozone Park A and you'll need to get off at Rockaway Blvd, transferring to the "Shuttle/A" there (same platform) towards the Rockaways. Howard Beach is 2 stops from there.

Michael

planemannyc

Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:50 am

TWFirst,

And even if that were not the case, you will wait inside the "closed" station at Howard Beach -- there is a door that leads you to the bus ramp. From W4, I think it makes sense to take the A train.

Anyway, I just looked up the A train schedule.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/pdf/ttcur.pdf

I think your best bet is the 3:28 am from W4th that gets you into JFK/Howard Beach at 4:15. Of course, this is the MTA, so give or take 20 minutes. Sometimes at that hour trains are known to get to mid-point stations early, so I would show up by 3:15. The 3:08 is obviously a safer bet.

Good luck!

TWFirst

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:04 am

Thanks for all the info folks. Returning this thread to the intended topic, it will be great when the AirTrain is running next week and we won't even need to discuss the logistics of the A Train/Shuttle bus connection at 3 in the morning.

BTW Planemannyc, to answer your question, I'm going to FLL by way of DTW/CLE (JFK-CLE is a direct/same flight #/same aircraft flight on NW). The fare was too cheap to pass up. Normally, I fly out of LGA or EWR.