VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Ex-TWA Terminal At JFK - Latest?

Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:04 pm

G'day all,

I was wondering what the latest news is with the Saarinen terminal at JFK (Terminal 5, the TWA Terminal). Is there any word on how much of the building and its interior will be preserved, if any?

Cheers,

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

FoxBravo

RE: Ex-TWA Terminal At JFK - Latest?

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:16 am

It will be used as part of the new jetBlue terminal. I believe the plan is to use the old check-in area for electronic check-in kiosks, thus addressing the concerns of preservationists who didn't want to see it become a museum or whatever. The "tubes" will then connect it to the rest of the terminal, which will surround it. In other words, the main part of the building, including its interior, will be preserved in its entirety. It should be very nice!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

southpaw8669

Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:51 am

the terminal is a National Landmark.
@southpawcapture

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:00 am

I wonder if they will be allowed to keep any of the red TWA exterior signage, as it is sort of integral to the design, or if they plan to completely rebrand the place in such a way that the average passenger will think it was a new terminal that JetBlue built itself...Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist but I suspect that when I am looking at the "Buffalo Snack Bar" or the "Long Beach Lounge," I will miss the aura of exotic far off destinations that TWA used to serve from there...

richierich

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:45 am

RiverVisual,

Do you mean you will miss the aura of a TWA flight to St. Louis? Or perhaps San Francisco is more appealing to you than JetBlue's OAK?

I think it is fair to guess that all TWA signage will be taken down. I'm sure there will be historical pictures and other paraphernalia related to the halycon days when TWA ran T5, but seeing as it is still part of a working airport (as the preservationists wanted), there is little sense in keeping up signage for a dead airline. I'm sure there will be tasteful amounts of JetBlue signage in and around the building as they will be the primary tenants of the new T5, behind the Saarinen building. The new T5 promises to be a nice looking building in its own right, along the lines of Terminal 1. The access from the AirTrain to JetBlue's T5 will be through the Saarinen building and at least one of the two preserved "tubes".
None shall pass!!!!

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:54 am

Richie: LOL, I guess it's a matter of perspective, i.e. I am old enough to remember when TWA was a premier international airline and served major international destinations like London and Paris from that terminal, which was built for that purpose. In fact, if memory serves me correctly there was in fact until TWA shut down a Lisbon Lounge and a Paris Cafe in that terminal. When JetBlue gets in there it will be a Chili's Too and a Starbucks, like at every other airport in America. Despite all the hype, JetBlue is a domestic LCC,a very good one at that, but will never have the prestige that TWA once enjoyed, except in the minds of their 30-something PR reps. I do applaud them for saving the building though.