djmatthews

To Drink Or Not To Drink!

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:28 am

Having just had a discussion with friend of mine. What is the actual law on serving alcoholic drinks in the air? For example, a few years ago I flew American Trans Air (ATA) from MAN-SFB, shortly after leaving MAN the drinks service came round. Being under 21 I wasn't allowed alcohol. However, the year before flying Virgin Atlantic from LGW-BOS I was allowed.

What exactly are the laws?

PiedmontGirl

RE: To Drink Or Not To Drink!

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:45 am

Djmatthews, US carriers operate, no matter where they are, under US law which says that no one under 21 may drink alcohol. I am thinking that other airlines are subject to their own national laws.

USAFHummer

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:51 am

"I am thinking that other airlines are subject to their own national laws." <-I'm pretty sure this is the case as well...

Also, is it true that alcohol is not allowed to be served in the airspace of some predominatly Muslim countries??

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Richard28

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:55 am

UK airlines operate under UK law, so you must be over age 18.

Unlike the US, us brits are very lax on ID to prove age however, so if you pass for 18 you're very likely to get served alcohol on a UK airline.

CHEERS!!  Smile

(amended for grammar!)

[Edited 2003-12-10 20:00:21]

B4REAL

Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:57 am

I was on RG once on a flight from GRU-SSA, and a teenager, 14-maybe orders a beer and drinks away (Free on RG).
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

DeltaGuy

Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:07 am

No-so-legal, but on night redeye hops, I've been able to get away with it..partly because the f/a was nice, also because they can't see your face very well...if you have the voice and carry yourself like an adult anyways, it's not a problem. Only thing is, you get caught, there's no place to run to lol  Big grin One thing to do it in a bar, another on a jet. I remember that I'm flying on somebody else's turf, and not to abuse the hospitality.

When I hit 21, ooooh baby  Big grin

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

PiedmontGirl

Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 am

USAFHummer:

>>Also, is it true that alcohol is not allowed to be served in the airspace of some predominatly Muslim countries??<<

This is true. When flying into those countries, the liquor has to be secured before entering that country's airspace. In other words, it isn't just not serving it. The liquor has to be returned to its storage areas and locked up.

ssides

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:07 am

US carriers may be stepping up their enforcement, I don't know. I rarely drink on flights, but I've never been asked for ID when I was. I flew internationally several times before I turned 21, all on US-flag carriers, and was never asked for ID during those flights.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Lufthansa747

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:21 am

I had drinks on UA and NW when I was below 21. They never asked for ID but then again, it was just wine during the meal and Bailey's afterwards.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

luv2fly

Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:33 am

I always wondered about flights to Muslim countries, do they carry enough liquor for the trip both ways? Or do they get restocked at the airport? Does anyone know how it works, thanks.
You can cut the irony with a knife

JayDavis

Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:26 am

I remember when you only had to be 18 to drink in the US. I worked for an airline in LBB that was a commuter carrier there, Air Midwest. We could fly on WN for free. Fly to DAL and get two bloody mary's in 50 minutes! Then fly to HOU and get two more bloody mary's in 50 minutes. Fly to AUS and get two more bloody mary's in 50 minutes and you'd be feeling no pain.......

Ah to be young again !!

The "really" bad thing about alcohol in flight is that it dehydrates your body much worse than on the ground.........been there, done that.

We had a guy recently on our flight from ICN to DFW on KE who was tanked when he got off the 13 hour plane ride. Seems he bought a bottle of booze on the flight and proceeded to partake from it........basically two people had to sit with him the rest of the flight to make him behave........one was another KE employee I work with.......the guy was arrested as soon as he was taken off the plane at DFW.