BOSugaDL

Flights For Cargo...not So Much For Pax

Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:51 am

Ok this topic my be a little confusing, but bear with me...

Now I know that there have been topics here on odd ball routes such as RDU-LGW etc. This route is highly profitable for AA because of the company (forget the name) which buys a number of business class seat every year.

Well my question is, do airlines have similar flights where they have contracts to carry a lot of cargo, even if the pax aren't there. They reason I ask this is because this summer I was at the Lindt Chocolate Factory in Exeter NH. I asked one of the managers if they produce the chocolate at the factory. He told me that the raw chocolate is flown in everyday from Switzerland. He said that is a main reason why there is a daily flight ZRH-BOS. And they so this and spend to ensure that the product is fresh as opposed to using FedEX and having it take a day of two.

I had never thought about it, but it does make sense...It doesn't seem like the loads would be there for that daily flight. This guy could have been completely BS-ing me...But does anyone know if it is true, or am I making no sense what so ever?  Smile

BOSugaDL

RE: Flights For Cargo...not So Much For Pax

Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:20 pm

Does anyone know if this is true and does it happen on other flights?...I would really like to know, please any info would be really appreciated, thank you  Smile

VirginFlyer

Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:24 pm

Popular opinion has it that the main reason Emirates operates 3 daily return flights from Dubai to Auckland (DXB-SYD-AKL, DXB-SIN-MEL-AKL, DXB-SIN-BNE-AKL) is the freight uplift from NZ. As has been well publicised on this and other forums, their passenger numbers are rather low in to and out of Auckland.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

melflyer

Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:38 pm

The EK example is particuarly true out of MEL, where pax cannot buy a thru ticket to AKL. The MEL-AKL sector is only pax from MEL plus huge amounts of cargo.

Cheers

9V-SVA

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:30 pm

The CX flights departing HKG for SIN at 2-3am, using a B777-300, are primarily cargo flights and only limited amounts of pax can be taken, all seated at the last section of Y.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

ssides

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:48 pm

AA's A300 flights to Latin American carry a lot of cargo. These flights are always packed with pax, but I've heard that AA would make money on them even if they were empty, they carry so much cargo.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

eta unknown

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:31 am

The LAX-JFK sector of Qantas' SYD-LAX-JFK flight is primarily to service cargo.