mish1234

A Few Questions To The Pilots..

Wed Jan 12, 2000 3:38 am

Hey all

Ill list my questions in order here:

1. Is it true that u cant start a conversation till only after 10,000 feet?
2. During flight are you allowed to walk around the aircraft?
3. At what age did you start flying for the company you fly for?
4. Are you allowed to eat as much food as u want on any of your flights?
5. How many hours do u usally work in a week lets say..
6. Do you really need 4 years of collage to be a pilot? If so what subjects?
7. I was told that math isnt important and from what ive seen all u need to know is how to add and subtract... but is there more?

Thank you for your time!
From a fellow future pilot (hopefully)

phil330

RE: A Few Questions To The Pilots..

Wed Jan 12, 2000 3:47 am

1. It is reccommended that below 10,000ft (FL100 in the UK and Europe) that we limit our conversation to operational matters pertaining to the flight.

2. Yes we are

3. 22 years

4. At my airline you get a meal (usually have a choice between two or three) but I suppose if you get hungry you could have something else.

5. About 17 hours flying a week average over the year (75 a month average). Although in my airline the Summer season is much busier and we can expect a 100 hour month compared to a 50 hour month in Winter. Duty hours are added to that to get a true picture of "working hours".

6. Not over here (UK) , I never went, but not sure how it works abroad.

7. Maths and Physics are integral parts of training for the CPL and ATPL technical subjects, and studying them at college will be a great advantage during training, but since then I've never used them beyond elementary level.

Phil
A320/330 pilot.

Ralgha

Wed Jan 12, 2000 6:12 am

I can't answer most of your questions since I'm not yet an airline pilot  but I will be soon . Currently I'm in college and have my private pilot certificate with instrument rating. While you can get by in training knowing only elementary math, it makes much more sense and is easier if you've had the equivilent of college level algebra. You won't find any applications for calculus though. Also, from what I've read and from some things I've heard from other pilots, the job market for airlines in the US is highly competitive and you probably won't get a job without a four year degree.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Fester

Wed Jan 12, 2000 1:59 pm

Hi Mish1234 !

I am a CRJ Captain at Atlantic Southeast Airlines (Delta Connection) in Atlanta and am happy to answer your questions:

Yes, it's true there can be no non-pertinent conversation below 10,000 ft. - this allows pilots to focus on flying the plane (below 10,000 ft. is when you're most busy).
Are we allowed to walk around? Not really - we are supposed to remain at our stations except for physical needs. What age? I started flying in college (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University) @ 18 and got hired at ASA @ 25 (4 yrs. ago). Food question? On my airline its snacks only so you get sick of peanuts fast but other airlines do let pilots eat the pax meals. Work hours? Most pilots fly approx. 80-90 hrs. per month - but don't confuse that with time at work . . . you spend 2 to 3 times that amount as "time away from base". College? Not required by law but if you want to fly "heavy metal" then you'll need it. Math? No you don't need to be a math wiz but the stronger you are in it the better off you'll be (I was probably B aver.) Please E-mail me at Fester@dellnet.com with any more college or aviation questions you've got.

Fester

Delta737

Wed Jan 12, 2000 10:55 pm

>>>1. Is it true that u cant start a conversation till only after 10,000 feet?

Below 10,000 Feet is considered "Sterile cockpit" so only operationally necessary conversation. When I was a commuter pilot, sometimes we cruised below 10,000 feet so we'd wait until level off.

>>>2. During flight are you allowed to walk around the aircraft?

Usually we do walkarounds on the ground! ha, I know what you're asking. Yeah, you can walk back in the cabin but either for health/biological reasons (grab a drink because the FA's are busy or the lavoratory)

>>>3. At what age did you start flying for the company you fly for?

I started flying for Delta Air Lines at 26 and previously got hired at Skyway at 24.

>>>4. Are you allowed to eat as much food as u want on any of your flights?

You can bring along a whole smoked turkey if you want but if all-you-can-eat crew meals don't exist!

>>>5. How many hours do u usally work in a week lets say..

I work about 76 hours a month which turns out to be about 55 to 60 hours wheels up to wheels down.

>>>6. Do you really need 4 years of collage to be a pilot? If so what subjects?

To get hired, yes. Anything.

>>>7. I was told that math isnt important and from what ive seen all u need to know is how to add and subtract... but is there more?

All math makes your job easier in the cockpit. Like if you're flying a non-EFIS aircraft and ATC asks you to cross the VOR at 10,000 feet at 250 knots, and you're at FL 330, 30 DME away at mach .80, can you accept the clearance? (no! at least not comfortably)

I've got some more airline pilot info on my website: http://www.jetcareers.com

Doug Taylor
Delta Air Lines
Boeing 737

mish1234

Thank You!

Fri Jan 14, 2000 6:26 am

I just wanted to Thank everyone who replied to my post.. I will contact Fester and visit Doug Taylors site agian.. for more info.. I was very confused about what to do once I get out of HIghschool... I mean I will need lots of money but I do have some saved for University of course! Well anyways

Thanks Agian!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos