EZYAirbus
Topic Author

What Is Your Worst Landing Experience

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:05 pm

Last Wednesday (10th Dec) I was on an easyJet flight from Edinburgh to London Luton, we seemed to be approaching the runway a bit quick, on touch down the left landing gear touched down very hard, we shot into the air before coming down on the right hand gear with the left gear still in the air, we bounced again before coming down on both rear wheels well off centre of the runway before swerving into the centre, we were still going fairly fast, the captain then slammed on some kind of brakes as everyone was forced forward.

Has anyone else had any awful landing experiences?

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Pe@rson

RE: What Is Your Worst Landing Experience

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:10 pm

I've experienced a very similar landing - whilst at the controls of my aircraft on FS2002.  Wink/being sarcastic Thankfully, I'm now pretty good at 'em.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EZYAirbus
Topic Author

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:12 pm

With FS2002 if you crash you can hit the reset button, unfortunatly easyJet havent fitted the reset button to there 737-700's! Big grin
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Pe@rson

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:16 pm

It's really pleasing when you manage to successfully land a larger aircraft, like the 752. Gets me grinning very quickly!  Wink/being sarcastic Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Unique

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:21 pm

The hardest landing I've ever experienced was on 13th December 1989 on flight RL525 from MGA (Managua/Nicaragua) to SJO aboard B727 YN-BXW.

The landing was so hard that all oxygen masks fell out of the ceiling. I call this landing a controlled crash...

Man, I was so glad to get off but the aircraft continued to PTY (Panama City, hopefully uneventful).

eham

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:30 pm

The hardest landing I've ever experienced was on the 28th of February 2003 on flight VZ321 from AMS (Amsterdam) to Birmingham aboard A320 G-JOEM.

POSITIVE RATE

Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:45 pm

The hardest i experienced was aboard an Ansett 767-200 on a flight from Melbourne-Coolangatta. The 767 hit down extremely hard and bounced then touched down again. I've head harder landing whilst flight training in light a/c though.

dc-10 levo

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:01 pm

This year (11th August) I was onboard a TCX A320 coming back from DLM, approaching EMA. We were seconds from touchdown and we had already gone over quite a bit of the runway. I thought we were a bit high. Then all of a sudden the pilot pushed the throttles back up and we were back up cirlcing round EMA! We came back round, lined up on the runway and made a really hard landing. It was my first go around!

DC-10

Rick767

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:01 pm

"the captain then slammed on some kind of brakes as everyone was forced forward."

How do you know it was the Captain? We get to land the birds too ya know!!
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

contrails

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:17 pm

I guess my worst landing was on the US Shuttle from DCA to LGA in August of 1999. It was raining pretty hard at LGA, and the plane (IMO) was going a bit faster than it should have been on final. We hit rather hard, bounced once, then hit hard again. About then the thrust reversers came on, and we stopped pretty fast. No harm done.

I also was on an AA MD-80 a few years ago landing at DCA. I don't remember if I was returning from DFW or ORD. The plane seemed to land ok, but the pilot put the thrust reversers on, it seemed even, before the nose gear was on the ground, causing everyone to lurch foward. Again, no harm done, but rather uncomfortable.
Flying Colors Forever!

mog

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:31 pm

Landing at BOM on the alternate runway can be tricky at the best of times.

Coming in to land during the monsoons with cross winds changing speed as well as direction as well as a aquaplaning special wet runway on a "get-home-quick" QTA flight from PNQ into BOM in June 2001, a Jet Airways B-737-800, with a few Air Force pilots sitting next to you in the tail giving running commentary.

Come in on wobbly wings, bending and dipping like a drunk ballerina, drop hard at the last moment with the outbound hold aircraft looking on in amazement, we skid all over the place and trays fall open, overhead bins pop handbags (never sit in the aisle again) and screams from all around.

Monsoon flying and landing in India is what keeps our faith in the Powers that Be alive.

ssides

Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:52 pm

I was on an FR flight LGW-DUB a few months ago, and I could swear that the front landing gear touched down at the same time as the rear. It was quite a jolt.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Cessna172RG

Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:26 pm

Flying Haneda to Fukuoka, Skymark 767-300...

On approach, flying over the shore and downtown Fukuoka, the pilot waited until the last minute to drop all flaps and gear... I was a bit suprised.

When we touched down, oh boy, did you know it! It wasn't a landing, it was a forced impact. Very very hard and uncomfortable. Then, when I flew them back to Haneda, the same thing. We came down with a thud.

Flying the same route on JAL (except from Narita in a 772) the flaps and gear came down on schedule and the landing was soft.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

OS-A330

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:18 am

TG from Bangkok to Phuket.
It was an evening flight, therefore dark outside. Heavy clouds, no possibility for the passengers to visually determine the altitude. It was a very calm approach, no turbulence..... but without any alert whatsoever it suddenly went WHAM.
We must have really "fallen" down the last 5-10 altitude meters onto the runway, the result was an enormous impact. Looking around the cabin, I noticed scared people grabbing their armrests in horror, not realising that what had happened was a simple landing. I myself was quite shocked as well, but calmed down immediately after seeing the runway lights, prooving that we had landed on the runway and not somewhere else

paulc

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:22 am

My worst landing must have been on an MD11 of American Airlines flying from Tokyo to San Jose. We seemed to come in hot and high and the first hit was very hard (ex carrier pilot maybe)  Big grin 2nd bounce was less hard and it finally stuck to the runway after that.
English First, British Second, european Never!

CVG777

Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:47 am

January 2000...

I was on an AA B738 BUF-ORD. Weather at ORD wasn't the greatest, being cloudy and windy. Anyways, we hit the runway pretty hard, thus bouncing and causing a few people to shriek in the cabin, before we smoothly landed a second time.

SA006

Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:54 am

My worst landidng was on an Olympic Airways A340-300 at JNB in 2002. We came in a bit high. i though we were gonna do a go-around. We went over the threshold mch higher than usual. I was expecting full power when suddenly this bloddy greek pilot cuts the throtle and slammed into the runway. Bounced twice and came to a stop at the end of the runway. The pilots thankfully apologized for the terreble landing  Big thumbs up

Rgds and safe flying
SA006

[Edited 2003-12-12 17:55:39]

[Edited 2003-12-12 17:56:04]

[Edited 2003-12-12 17:56:24]
Proudly South African

kaitak

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:36 am

We have a pretty short runway here in Jersey and the wind can be pretty strong; BA always seem to land pretty firmly; technically, they're not bad landings, but they certainly jar the old molars a bit!

I'm flying to Amsterdam with them tomorrow, back on Monday, so if the weather's anything like today, it'll be quite a "fun" arrival. Better to land firm and brake strongly than run off the end - particularly if you're landing on 27; the drop off the end could be, well, painful!

gkirk

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:39 am

A good landing is one you can walk away from
A great landing is one where the a.c can be used again  Big grin  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

sarrebal

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:50 am

21 Feb 2002

AZ622 MXP-LAX with MD-11

We were a little high and the pilot decided to go for a (very) hard landing, instead of going around.

The lady behind me started crying and quite a few people screamed.

Everything was alright, though.

rockyracoon

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:53 am

We caught a little crosswind coming into HNL on an AQ B732. There was a little frightend noise from a few passengers, but it wasn't that bad.

Tim

AV8AJET

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:32 am

The worst landing I experienced was a DL 763 flight from ATL - TPA. Upon the rather HARD touchdown, "several" stress the word several overhead bins opened and one movie projector cover came crashing DOWN!! Fortunately there was no one sitting underneath it but it also had chains to stop it detaching. I thought for sure the struts went through the wing!!
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

Aloha717200

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:38 am

Frontier Airlines flight 216, SLC-DEN:

Upon reaching cruise altitude, FL330, Engine #2 exploded and flipped the plane, also causing cabin decompression. Aircraft had to make an emergency descent, the nearest airport was Vernal, UT, and the aircraft had to make the approach on one engine's power while still heavily loaded with pax and fuel.

Didn't make it. We went down about 200 yards from the runway threshold at vernal, in a small field surrounded by pine trees. VERY hard landing due to stall that even the Alpha-floor couldn't prevent......worst landing of my life.

.....oh wait......you mean in real life, not in FS2002 (with damage addon)  Wink/being sarcastic

Well in real life I've never had a truly bad landing, but I did have a rough landing at LAS aboard a WN 733.  Smile

tcfc424

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:10 am

Worst landing was in 93 or 94, at Stapleton on CO...don't recall the aircraft type MD-80 maybe? Came in fighting crosswinds and touched one side down, then the other, etc., at least 3 times each side...just bouncing along the runways...(it wasn't the runways over I-70) My dad told me later that a CO aircraft had right side landing gear collapse 1 week earlier...glad he waited to tell me!

767Lover

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:10 am

My worst landing experience was the one where we didn't land.

July 2000 (day after Concorde crash, by the way). BWI-ATL, Delta 737-800, aborted landing and did a go-around.

qwerty

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:14 am

to echo, haven't had a worst landing. Hope I never do and get to go to the big blue sky in the sky by some other means.

any landing you can walk away from is a good landing - there are no bad ones that don't kill.

EGGD

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:18 am

I've been pretty lucky with landings considering how many flights i've been on. Of course i've had some go arounds, some bouncers and some fast ones, but nothing really terrible. Never had a tire blowout or anything like that. I can't remember which was the worst to be honest, none have really stood out.

cedarjet

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:21 am

Landed in rain and gusty winds at Charlotte NC in a Delta MD80. We landed OK at the end of a pretty wild approach, but halfway down the runway we completely aquaplaned (or the brakes locked, which I doubt) and we started drifting smoothly sideways towards the end of the runway, with the nose coming round, heading off the runway. It was an extremely unpleasant sensation because no-one on the aircraft, including the pilots, could do much to change it. The wheels spun up again and control was regained but it was a really scary ride for about five seconds, we came really close to heading straight off the runway like that AA MD80 that crashed at Little Rock.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

PHX Flyer

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:19 am

The worst landing I have ever experienced was in the fall of 1991, on a Lufthansa A320 into London-Heathrow: The weather was calm and sunny, and the entire approach was unremarkable: coming from the East we were gliding down north of the field, then did the usual U-turn over Windsor Castle for runway 09L. The plane did not rock once during the approach, the pilots hardly had to adjust thrust at any time during the approach. It was like flying a glider in the calm evening air. I expected nothing less then the smoothest landing one can imagine - the perfect ending of a perfect flight. So we reached the runway, and began the flare. The wheels were probably no more than 6-7 feet above the ground, when the aircraft suddenly lost all its lift and literally fell on the ground - with a bang that I will never forget for the rest of my life. Even more unforgettable were the piercing shrieks of the horrified passengers. I myself was utterly speechless. I could not believe what just happened: the aircraft, which had been widely touted as stall-proof had done just that - it stalled! The next second the overhead bins popped open, and coats and bags showered down on the folks in the aisle seats. The aircraft was veering left and right, and I had no doubt that the undercarriage would collapse any second now, so I braced myself for that situation. Then, something remarkable happened: for one, the aircraft did NOT break apart ( very much to my surprise) and, as it was slowing down, the lead flight attendant began to address the passengers: "Ladies and gentlemen, as you have undoubtedly noticed, we just landed at Heathrow Airport. On behalf of Lufthansa I would like to welcome you in London ...", and then he went on to offer his sincere apologies for what he thought was the worst landing he had seen during his entire career. The amazing thing was that by cracking this little opening joke, he was able to instantaneously quiet down the panicking passengers, and one could hear a collective sigh of relief in the cabin. We then taxied over to Terminal 2, and deplaned the regular way via jetway. As soon as the last passenger had left, I noticed that the flight crew, who had kept the door to the flight deck closed during deplaning, rushed out onto the tarmac and began to examine the wheels and struts. I decided to watch this a little longer and went to Mickey D. to grab a sandwich. (That's the one spot in the non-security area of T2, from where you get a good view of the tarmac). There were now 10-15 people swarming around under the belly of the plane. Eventually, I got bored and left for the parking lot to pick up my car. Later, as I drove south on the M25, I watched that A320 taxi out and line up for take-off. Obviously, it was determined that the aircraft had not sustained any structural damage, but it sure came close.

backfire

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:50 am

My worst landing was in Atlantic City. The touchdown was fine, but then I realised that I'd landed in Atlantic City.

MD88Captain

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:18 am

How do you guys know so much about the landing when you are sitting in the back???? You have NO idea if the pilot came in too fast or too slow if you are in the back. And you have no idea if the aircraft is too high or too slow. You don't know if the pilot has configured late because you don't know if the tower wants 180kts to the marker. You can't know if your following a heavy in calm conditions or if the winds are swirling and gusting at the threshold.
I've got 10000+ hour and 7 type ratings and I can't tell any of these things when I deadhead. All I can tell is whether it is a firm, soft, or medium touchdown. And I know when the plane floats a bit in ground effect.

My objection is that when your a passenger the only sense you can use to critque a landing is the seat of your pants.

NWA ARJ

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:32 am

I have had some pretty hard landings in my private pilot training. But I am really good at landing now. HEHE
Nightmare 68, Fargo Tower, Runway 36, Fly Runway Heading, Mantain 10,000, Cleared For Takeoff, Change To Departure

carlos1979

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:44 am

The worst landing I ever experienced, wasn't a landing at all....let me explain. We were living in Jakarta Indonesia at the time. The government was in the process of finishing the new International Airport. However, in order to save money, they were simply transfering the ATC equipment from the old airport to the new one. Therefore the old airport (still in service) was not operating at peak efficiency. We were flying back on LH from Frankfurt via BOM I believe. We were on very short finals when suddenly the aircraft pitched up sharply, banked heavily, and full power was applied. There was screaming, cursing, and praying to be heard all through the cabin! Apparently there was SwissAir aircraft lining up for takeoff on the same runway. Needless to say not a pleasant experience, and I honestly can't tell you how smooth the touch down was when we finally made it down!

The hardest landing I've ever experienced was on an SQ flight from Singapore to Cairo. I thought the landing had collapsed, it was such a hard jolt.

C

747spa330md11

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:46 am

Under www.a340.net you can really find some nice landings in the Multimedia Area. Landings of an MD-11 from Alitalia in good old Kai Tak and landings from A340 without thrust reverse in Toulouse during some testflights.
Enjoy
Save the 747 SP !!

cytz_pilot

Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:16 am

During my flight training, the worst landing would have to be when the aircraft 'porpoises', something you will never want to happen in an airliner...thankfully it was just in a C172. If the nose wheel hits before the main gear, due to wind or a late pullup or whatever, the aircraft bounces onto the main gear, which bounces rapidly back onto the nose gear, main gear, nose gear and so on and so on...the only way to get out of it is full up elevator and some power, or else you'll be bouncing right off the end of the runway!

One time also I was flying another C172 with an airspeed indicator in mph but I thought it was in knots...doing my approach at about 50-55 mph when I thought about 65 mph...I flared but the plane was so sluggish to respond...I only narrowly missed slamming into the runway nosewheel first (see above!!!)

Chris

PiedmontGirl

Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:31 am

Carlos1979:

The hardest landing I've ever experienced was on an SQ flight from Singapore to Cairo. I thought the landing had collapsed, it was such a hard jolt.

If you ever ride through a collapsed landing gear, you will never mistake it for anything else. You have a tremendous jolt when the aircraft hits the runway, the awful sound of mental scraping against concrete, and a much harder jolt when you finally stop.

MD88Captain:

I've been through something like 30,000 take offs and landings in my career. The only thing I know about any given landing is whether it is soft, medium, or firm. I would not even think to presume that I knew what the pilots were dealing with and decide such things as whether or not they were too fast/slow, too high/low, or too anything else.

CO2BGR

Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:51 am

My worst landing was in a 152 as a student pilot. As I was landing in a cross wind so I had my feet on the rudder pedals but my toes were slightly on the brakes, when the two mains touched the ground the plane lurched foreward and quite firmly planted its nose wheel on the ground. I ended up getting a pretty good whiplash and my neck was sore for quite some time. I did 2 great crosswind landings right after that however. I have yet to apply the brakes while touching down since.

Part of learning is making mistakes and learning from them.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Captain_777

Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:16 am

MD88Captain- I completely agree with you. Thanks for coming out and saying that for people to realize.

I NEVER have a bad landing experience..Why? Because I always get to walk off the aircraft in one piece!

cs03

Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:27 am

Because of wind conditions, I can remember a tough landing in a PAN AM 727 into JFK in1969 with wind and rain, but we got in, even after most of the PAX got sick! Another "fun" landing was on National in 1975, when we blew a few tires arriving MIA! Once we landed at the old MUC Airport in 1985 in a 737 with LH, and one would think the pilots thought they were piloting a fighter!

usair320

Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:46 am

on an AZ MD-80 at MXP it felt like we were going to fall apart!!!!!!!!!!

pr1268

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:51 pm

Not scary but weird:

CRK - U.S. Air Force's Clark Air Base in the Philippines in 1989 in a Flying Tigers (then recently purchased by FedEx) B747-200. I was in the Navy trying to catch my ship at Subic.

The pilot miscalculated the approach too high and then with full flaps, gear, and all 4 engines at idle, we accomplished nearly a 15-degree descent.

It was like watching the movies of the Space Shuttle on its approach but only from the inside.

When we passed the threshold, we were still too fast and about 250' high. I looked down from the window of my seat (on the starboard side near the nose) and noticed a C-130 waiting for takeoff.

Anyway, the pilot decided to perform a go-around and redid the approach without incident. Same runway, but interestingly even after a 5-minute re-approach, the same C-130 was still waiting there patiently at the holdback.

Interestingly the weather was sunny and little wind.
The only time an aircraft has too much fuel is when it is on fire.

brains

Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Worst, I dunno...one of the more interesting, probably. Nov. 29th of this year, VS011 (A346 G-VMOA) winds gusting to 50kts in BOS. As one can imagine, it was a touch bumpy. My grandmother might argue that it was her "worst landing"...she got sick
Brains

POSITIVE RATE

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:27 pm

One time also I was flying another C172 with an airspeed indicator in mph but I thought it was in knots...doing my approach at about 50-55 mph when I thought about 65 mph...I flared but the plane was so sluggish to respond...I only narrowly missed slamming into the runway nosewheel first (see above!!!)

So the airspeed indicator was in MPH? Is this a common thing in the US? Also what MPH was it- statute or nautical? If it was nautical then that would be the same thing as kts.

MITaero

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:59 pm

Brains - I think I landed the same day, a NW DC-9 from DTW to BOS - it was terrible. Not the touchdown, just the approach. Could feel the plane fighting the 50 mph gusts - the yaw induced was especially crazy. Boston approaches are always interesting, and when you're over the water at night, it's kinda scary  Big grin

ei a330-200

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:07 pm

I have two. The first was on an AA MD-87 "Luxury Liner" DFW-LGB. We ran the entire length of the runway, with what seemed like full breaks and full reverse. You literally flew foward in you seat.

The other was a NW 757 MSP-LAX. We came in fast and high, dropped down at the very end, and once again hit full breaks and reverse. The F/A came on and made a joke that our pilot, based on his driving, was obviously from LA. Actually quite funny!

Brian
EI Rocks!!!

lauda777

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:54 pm

It would have to have been in late 99 on an Ansett 767-200 flying Sydney to Melbourne, it was extremely windy that day have to admit it, we were leaning left right left right you could hear the engines roaring on and off as the pilots tried to get this thing steady but just couldnt get it quite right, I had a window seat just behind the wing and all I could see was ground-sky-ground-sky until finally the left wheel hit the ground hard it felt like we bounced then all the wheels hit the ground hard at the same time! man was I glad to be off in one piece but unfortunately my camera which was in the cargo hold wasnt so lucky  Insane
We remind passengers all flights are non smoking, if you are caught smoking you will be asked to sit outside on the wing

ILS33

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:02 pm

Mine has to be when i did my first solo cross country as a provate pilot. I flew from KMTN to CGE and they have runway 34 and 16. Well since it was my first solo cross country i was definitely a little nervous with lots of thoughts if i would be able to land this plane safely.i was on final for 16 when a gust of wind from left almost blew me away from the runway at about 50 feet above. some how i manage to land the plane with right gear touching the ground first and almost ready to flip  Sad . NOw i look back and laugh at it, though never had the courage of telling this experience to my instructor.

nudelhirsch

Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:07 pm

My worst landing experience was not landing...
We tryed takeoff in DEN on a AA, I think it was a MD80. The winds were turning pretty much (captain said this), so we lined up on one runway, then exited, to the next runway...we lined up on maybe 3 different runways, with a lot of taxiing...took us helluva lot of time. and fuel...so approaching ORD, captain called again, with the news, that ORD wa closed due to storms, so we were send to Madison, Wisconsin, were we spend hours on board, while the Airline, the captain, and the managers of the airport negotiated about fueling, as this was no airport under contract with AA...when we reached ORD after the steepest climbout I've ever been on, our connection to FRA was gone, so we were stacked in a crappy last row middle seat of BA, no exeit seats, no windows, as we booked..., we had to wait for 3 hours in LHR for our connection to FRA. It was nice, to turn 2 flights in actually 4 of them, but the trip was just shit, as I can not sleep on planes...what a nice ending to a great vacation...everything we were offered was an excuse which was even not very heartly...no coffee no nothing anywhere...
In FRA, our driver did not listen to his answering machine, he drove to the airport and waited pretty long, drove back, drove to the airport and waited for us to come. Was his fault, but he was jsut pissed off...
His waiting grew longer as we were missing some luggage. They looked it up on the computer and said, they would fly it into STR and deliver it to our home 2 days after our arrival. This really happened, but it was just shit...

The vacation started great though, I sat on a AA767, exit row, plenty of space, a hottie beside me...that was totally different to the ending of the vacation...

Putana da Seatbeltz!

cytz_pilot

Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:23 am

So the airspeed indicator was in MPH? Is this a common thing in the US? Also what MPH was it- statute or nautical? If it was nautical then that would be the same thing as kts.

At our flight school, I think 2 of the 6 C172s had AIs in mph (and that is in statute miles), it's not very common nowadays because nothing is measured in statute miles...but they were rather old planes.

zak

Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:41 am

sometime in 2000 we did a combat simulated landing in some muddy field, as soon as i got out of the back of the ch-53 i hit a huge natural landmine (cow sh*t) and as i proceeded through the field i hit another one. not very pleasant, that odor stuck till i got back 4 days later :/
10=2