UA744Flagship
Topic Author

Unofficial New United Paint Scheme Preview

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:35 am

There have been strong internal and external rumors about an updated United paint scheme lately.

In conjunction with its exit from bankruptcy, and with the launch of Ted, United will reportedly finally be unifying its look.

I have heard of two versions: both will be just like Ted, except for the orange is replaced by "United Blue" and the Ted titles replaced with the U N I T E D titles of course.

However, some have told me they thought it would be billboard style, while others said it would be similar in size to the present United Airlines logotype.

I spent a few minutes modifying Ted pics to fit these two rumors.

Keeping in mind these are very crude representations, which is the lesser of two evils?

'Regular size' titles

Billboard style titles

Personally, I would prefer if United adopted billboard type titles.

And please, no posts about 'United cannot afford to do this, it is a dying airline'. New paint rollout has been proven as a way to freshen your image yet decrease expenses (using simpler paints), as long planes are not taken out of service just to repaint them.

Please keep discussion limited to the two paint scheme rumors.
no wire hangers!

Leskova

RE: Unofficial New United Paint Scheme Preview

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:37 am

In principal, I'd prefer it if they didn't go for the white fuselage, but if it's one of those two, I'm for the billboard type as well!
Smile - it confuses people!

icarus75

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:38 am

I would prefer billboard type titles too.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Flying is amazing!

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:42 am

Everyone seems to be going with the billboard style these days, most recently NW. While it does actually look pretty good, I think I prefer the more traditional, above-the windows, titles and logo.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

InnocuousFox

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:43 am

I like the blue tummies because it's easier to ident as they fly overhead.

And I'm really sick of airlines changing liveries every 2 years.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

rockyracoon

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:45 am

The billboard titles take it from terrible to acceptable. I, like Leskova, would rather have something different than white as well. Maybe the light blue and red of their tulip for the fuselage. I think it could make a nice unique combination.

Tim

jopavon

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:46 am

I like the first one, and looks nicer than the current livery.

InnocuousFox

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:51 am

"I like the first one, and looks nicer than the current livery"

You see... I don't agree. The current one is far more recognizable. Just like the NWA red. KLM's light blue, and the "flying goldfish" of SWA. You know who they are out of the corner of your eye.

As for UAL, the stupidest, ugliest thing on the planet were the various "United Shuttle" or "Shuttle by United" schemes. Someone needs to make up their frickin mind and just get on with it.

Aloha717200

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:55 am

I strongly dislike this livery. Except for the tail, which is wonderful, this scheme is very generic and boring. I'd be very very disappointed to see UA go with this livery.

I much prefer these ones......I know I didn't at first, but it really grew on me!  Big thumbs up

Especially that last one.

UA744Flagship, I'd be sending these images to United and I'd be sending them twice a week if I were you. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll adopt the scheme or a variation of it, but time is running out, so for heaven's sake please send these in. I'd much rather see this scheme on a 777 than United's "eurowhite" plan. Yawn.

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:57 am

i'm guessing that the new UA mainline delivery has already been determined, given that the TED livery has been rolled out and that it is likely that the two will complement eachother.

InnocuousFox

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:58 am

I like those... keeps the recognizability. The last 2 took a second... I thought the tail was showing how it would look with recog. lights on... and then I realized that the light blue was the "tulip" as well. Very cool.

kaitak

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:11 am

I don't think either of the white ones look good; I understand what you say about some liveries being less costly due to there being less paint, but that's really copying NW and AA. Would UA follow these two down that road?

Personally, I prefer the navy scheme - either the current ones or the "mock" liveries; the two shown with white fuselages - regardless of font size - certainly don't evoke an image of anything other than an airline trying to do things on the cheap!

haveric

Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:17 am

those blueish schemes were suggested at the time of the UA/US merger -- combines the two schemes. If they remain independent airlines, I think that livery looks too close to the current US livery.

jsnww81

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:28 am

If this is in fact true, then I guess it's not too bad.

I'd much prefer a new livery to the disjointed two designs that United has had since 1998. The planes stayed in the old 1992 colors, while all the ticket counters, gate podiums, ramp equipment, etc. adopted the block titling and the gradient 'U'. If this goes ahead, it will be nice to see some 'unity' at United.

4everRC

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:36 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

I HATE the current livery, but it's more creative than this
Nobody served our republic like Republic!

cpharris5514

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:42 am

If forced to choose, I'd go with the billboard style. Of course, like many others in this forum, I'd rather they not go with white as the predominant paint, even though their last livery used a lot of white (which I liked in that scheme). Put some color into it! Keeps it from looking so dirty if nothing else.  Smile
From rural Carlisle, Iowa

ifly2eat

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:51 am

Explain to me how a airline in Chapter 11, that has not even really detailed a plan for exiting bankruptcy can even think of repainting their fleet. I can see from this half banked scheme and "Ted" that United's management is putting way too much time into marketing (read John Tague) and not enough time in making the hard financial decisions the company needs to make to make it a viable airline.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

PUDFW

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:54 am

I can understand United wanting to change its image do to all the PR problems it has had. I think the United demos up there look good, but United updated its colour scheme only like 8-10 years ago. I dont like United at all but to me that 747-400 in United's current scheme is the best looking airliner in the sky.

PUDFW

miamix707

Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:54 am

You wanna know what I think? either billboard or small titles, they both suck

how disgusting  Angry they went from bad to worse. Stupid to be changing to worse and worse liveries..

UA744Flagship
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:01 am

And please, no posts about 'United cannot afford to do this, it is a dying airline'. New paint rollout has been proven as a way to freshen your image yet decrease expenses (using simpler paints), as long as planes are not taken out of service just to repaint them.

"Explain to me how a airline in Chapter 11, that has not even really detailed a plan for exiting bankruptcy can even think of repainting their fleet."

They have. Where have you been?

"...not enough time in making the hard financial decisions the company needs to make to make it a viable airline."

Such as? I'm sure you have all the answers.
no wire hangers!

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:02 am

Ifly2eat - emerging from BK isn't just about controlling costs, but spending smartly - its not how much $$ you spend, but what you spend it on. many companies revise their branding as part of "refreshing" their image as they come out of BK with a new approach to the market. a new livery can easily be seen as a smart expense - and as others have pointed out, planes get repainted regularly anyway, whether its an existing livery or a new one doesn't make a tremendous difference.

again, i think the new mainline UA livery 1) will likely look as it was first depicted in this post and 2) has probably already been determined. the TED livery is indicative of that, and the two should be very similar.

and do you really think that UA has not really detailed a plan for exiting bankruptcy?

TonyBurr

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:23 am

Almost ANYTHING has to be better then the present one! Dull, dull, dull

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:30 am

"Explain to me how a airline in Chapter 11, that has not even really detailed a plan for exiting bankruptcy can even think of repainting their fleet."

Every airline, whether in Ch. 11 or not, repaints their aircraft on a consistent schedule. Repainting them in the same colors, or new colors makes little difference in cost. Repainting them from the old colors to these binary colors (blue and whit) would probably save the company a lot of money. Every time a plane goes into a D check it is stripped of paint and repainted...a new color scheme is not costly in that sense. What is costly is hiring consultants to come up with a new lame money-saving color scheme... But Unitd has the best in the business...whose resume includes SABENA and Swissair. Ooops!
E pur si muove -Galileo

luv2fly

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:35 am

Well I always thought you should get your house in order before you paint it. And yes airplanes get painted as it has been pointed out. Now fewer colors and an easier color scheme should be a money saver and no brainier, tho ask yourself what did this new scheme actually cost? How much did they pay someone to think it up, test market it and all other associated costs?
You can cut the irony with a knife

LMP737

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:49 am

If I were a United employee who has endured pay/benefits cuts, watch friends and coworkers lose their jobs I could of nothing more demoralizing than watching my company spend money on a new paint job.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:49 am

of course there are costs associated with picking the new livery. how else is UA supposed to come up with the design without an investment researching possibilities? just as any airline doesn't just pick new cities to serve from a hat, but rather spends the resources necessary to determine where the demand and need is, what the profitabilty would be, etc.

as the saying goes, it takes money to make money, and UA - like any other company looking to return to profitability - is going to spend resources necessary to ensure that it provides products and services that are responsive to the market, that provide a good return on investment, and that are built off of lessons learned and best practices.

why is it that these basic business principles make sense for any other company looking to right itself, but not when it comes to UA?

LMP737

Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:57 am

Potomac:

Of course it takes money to make money. However I fail to see how a change in paint jobs is going rake in the $$$$ for UAL. I can think of other ways to do this.

P.S. If you were not referring to the paint jobs and were talking in general terms please forgive me.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Southamerica

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:08 am

Oh boy... here we have another example of those super "modern", super dull all-white fuselage liveries. Though the symbol on the tail looks fairly classy, the white body is way boring.

If United goes for this livery, they'd be refreshing their image, but it would be very dissapointing.

I mean, come on, won't publicist get over it?!. The 80s were recognizable because all airlines had the typical paralel lines across the body. In the 90s the majority of carriers went with more moderate color schemes and introduced all-white fuselages.  Sleepy . OK
I thought that for the new milennium a new spectacular and creative concept was going to arrive. For one moment I thought that UPS and Gulf Air with their new liveries were going to be the pioneers of ARCS and CURVES.... But unfortunately no. Were suck with white.

I'm talking in aesthetic terms

Definitely no flavor at all.

Regards.

Federico in SOUTHAMERICA

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:15 am

no, i do not think a new livery alone will generate revenue. what i do think is that when an airline is emerging from bankruptcy, it comes out with a revised strategy for what products and services the airline provides, as well as for the operating costs and revenue streams. but this new direction is often best served by also implementing a new branding to show the market that this isnt the same old airline and that it's a clean slate, etc., etc. perception is very important - you see new logos/branding all of the time to accompany internal changes. i'd be concerned if UA came out of bankruptcy with its new approach but yet with the same old livery.

Aloha717200

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:21 am

They have. Where have you been?

United emerged from Chapter 11? That passed me by too, I hadnt heard that.

On UAL.com I dont see a press release that says it. Or am I misunderstanding you?

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:23 am

that post referred to an earlier one regarding UA having a detailed plan for emerging from BK.

propjock04

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:26 am

I have to agree with InnocuousFox. Their current colors are very recognizable and it seems to me that is the whole point of a livery. You want everyday pax to recognize your plane just by site and not have to read the titles.

I think the tail is a keeper...very modern and fresh. I think that if a new livery is a must for UA, then stylize the current one, freshen it up. Don't completely revamp the whole thing! Go for a evolutionary change, not a revolutionary one. Besides, the white is pretty boring.

Michael

jeckPDX

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:33 am

Someone, please cover my mouth so I can make it to the toilet before I puke! Yuck, this is a hideous paint scheme. All white fuselages are the spawn of evil, and either set of United titles still do nothing to break up the endless expanse of white that makes a/c look like bloated whales. I do really like the navy scheme with the grey cheatline and blue cascades across the engine cowls, very sleek, chic and professional. This is the what United needs in order to re-establish its image a world-wide premium carrier. They should not resort to gimmicks such as TED, especially when it destroys the producet you are known for and in thge light of such failed experiments in the past aka: Continental Lite, MetroJet which did nothing but put their parent companies in furteher debt and trouble-sorry a little off topic

JeckPDX
"Beer is proof that God Loves us and wanted People to be Happy" - Ben Franklin

EMBQA

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:38 am

First of all, any company in Chapter 11 can't spend a dime without the over seeing Bankruptcy Judge approving it......so as for UAL changing their paint scheme in the near future....NOT..!!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

FA4UA

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:43 am

DEAR LORD! Not another white fuselage!

Kinda has a certain B6 quality to it...

makes sense though to have TED and UNITED all on the same design page.

I think it's great timing to have a new paint-scheme. It's the beginning of a new era for UA and emerging from chapter 11 is a great time to get everyone on the same mental picture.

As an employee who was twice furloughed, had to move half way around the globe twice because of this and took paycuts, I think it's time for a physical representation of the new UA. In the long run this won't change UA's CASM by more then a tenth of a penny-- GO FOR IT!

Check out "From Worst to First" by Gordon Bethune. Great book in a pre- 9/11 world. CO was loosing millions and part of the turnaround was getting everyone on the same page which meant a completely unified paint scheme. Great book!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

UA744Flagship
Topic Author

RE: Design Costs

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:45 am

What is costly is hiring consultants to come up with a new lame money-saving color scheme... But Unitd has the best in the business...whose resume includes SABENA and Swissair. Ooops!

You are referring to McKinsey.

United's design/branding agency has been renowned Pentagram Design http://pentagram.com since 1997.

United has had a very pleasing relationship with Pentagram. They are the ones who came up with the gradiated blues, the U N I T E D font, the new F/A uniforms, the new interiors, and all the marketing materials.

Pentagram receives modest fees, and the contract is beneficial for both companies.

So to answer the cost question, fees paid to pentagram pale in comparison to those paid to McKinsey, and the branding/design fees were factored in a long time ago, ever since United and Pentagram entered into a partnership.
no wire hangers!

potomac

Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:45 am

oh well, i guess i'm one of the few who likes the mostly white with colored trim livery. it looks good to me on others like B6, BA, Swiss, etc. to each his own - good to know there are people out there who have the luxury of choosing a different airline regardless of service/price because they didn't like a particular paint job.

incidentally, and also off topic, i'm pretty confident there was never a meeting at UA where they said "let's try to make TED look like Continental Lite or MetroJet." just the slightest look below the surface at the strategy for TED will show some clear differences.

EMBQA

Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:40 am

FA4UA.....I've got the book "From Worst to First" and have read it twice. The main reason Gordon Bethune MANDATED a uniform fleet was:
A) There is a Sheriff in Town. and ....
B) due to the large mixed bag fleet CAL had at that time, they needed one look. They had planes in 'old' Continental, 'new' Continental and New York Air paint jobs.....also many of the planes where in sad need of new paint....see part A.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

miamix707

Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:56 am

well the best days of commercial aviation are clearly gone. The more interesting planes are being retired, no more concorde, less and less color and variety than ever, flight attendants don't have to be attractive and friendly anymore, etc. I'm not too surprised about this new look really.. it reflects this lack of excitement.

Unfortunately it'll be the first major U.S. airline with the cheap look of a white fuselage with painted tail and engines.

Nowadays there's also the misconception that in order to freshen up an image it has to be "clean white" and blue. Supposedly the passenger will see this difference and think it's more professional and business like and more fresh.. hmm...

In the process they are forgetting that everybody else is going for the white bare look with blue tail/engine highlights, so in the end, the customer is not even gonna notice any difference as far as distintive "image" is concerned.

AA777

Unofficial United New Paint Scheme...

Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:50 am

Nice concept-- but DESPERATLEY needs more color. White is so boring.... The Rudder design is nice, and the billboard look is good too... How about some blue on the belly? Or a tapering ribbon- Stripe (similar to BAs except all the way) down the side?

zippyjet

Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:57 am

The last two UA liveries are my first choice. Or, take the tail designs from the last two and adopt them design number 2. The first picture is just plain FUGLY!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

cicadajet

Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:05 pm

Why don't they try something Like this..?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner
View Large View Medium

Photo © John P. Stewart

View Large View Medium

Photo © John P. Stewart

UA744Flagship
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:15 pm

Ehh... it's not so bad. The 744, 73', and A32X look good in eurowhite... but the 76' and triple 7 need more. Oh well, it will grow on me...

From http://www.instantboard.com/users/imkeww/viewtopic.php?t=66

no wire hangers!

rj777

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:25 pm

Has any of this been confirmed as official yet?

UA744Flagship
Topic Author

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:28 pm

One of my contacts confirmed the eurowhite... the rest of the details are not.
no wire hangers!

Southamerica

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:29 pm

MIAMIx707,

As usual, just couldn't have said it better.

Apparently they'll never get over those plain concepts. I'm not asking to exaggerate on extravagant things, but they could come up with a more unique style and at least something more recognizable.

If they decide to keep it, it's a minus in marketing and a minus in aesthetics (for me). Publicist should know better, a more powerful image could easily remain in people's mind. Obviously we'll recognize it from a distance, but the society in general won't know the difference between United or JetBlue.

Regards,

Federico in SOUTHAMERICA

EK413

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:41 pm

I think the New Paint Scheme for United is very nice & I must go with the Billboard Titles.
United has to change its paint scheme to refresh its name especially after 9/11. We will never forget the two aircraft crashing into the WTC buildings. Lets not forget those that lost loved ones on 9/11.

I hope United goes through with the NEW paint scheme. Its a must.
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

RayChuang

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:47 pm

Actually, the new livery aren't THAT bad, though I think the UNITED name will probably be in large letters but not in billboard style. It will look a bit strange on a 767, 777 and 747-400, though. But it does look great on the CRJ though!  Big thumbs up

futureualpilot

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:47 pm

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!! No all white! No all white! No all white! Their current scheme is soooo much better IMO, at least it isnt boooooring as all-white fuselages are.
Life is better when you surf.

garnetpalmetto

Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:50 pm

As much of a UA hater as I am, I like the current scheme by a long way over this one. Eurowhite is just too bland, IMO, and if you don't regularly wash your planes...well, look at AF for proof positive. It's great if they change their livery, but both this and the TED livery are to me, awful.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.