airplanetire

5th Freedom Baggage Tags:

Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:44 am

I appologize if the title to this thread is a bit confusing, but I couldn't really figure out anything better. There are a lot of flights in the world that have fifth freedom rights at the intermediate destination(s), like the following (assume all flights to be return flights):

Singapore Airlines SIN-NRT-LAX
Singapore Airlines SIN-TPE-LAX
Singapore Airlines SIN-ICN-SFO
Singapore Airlines SIN-HKG-SFO
Singapore Airlines SIN-FRA-JFK
Malaysian Airlines KUL-DXB-EWR
Malaysian Airlines KUL-TPE-LAX
Varig GRU-LAX-NRT/NGO
South African Airways JNB-DKR-JFK
Kuwait Airways KWI-AMS-ORD
Air India BOM-LHR-JFK
Air India BOM-LHR-ORD

Those are just a few, but my question comes down to the baggage tags. If you are on one of these flights from the origin to the final destination (not the intermediate one), will your suitcase be tagged only to the final destination or to both the intermediate and the final destinations (i.e. flying from SIN to JFK on SQ via FRA, does it get tagged for FRA and JFK, or just JFK?)? If it only gets tagged to the final destination, how are bags loaded so that those bags do not get removed from the plane? Any other information on the topic besides just my questions would be appreciated. Thank you!

-Airplanetire

swissgabe

RE: 5th Freedom Baggage Tags:

Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:06 am

If it is only one flight number, it will have only destinations (and origin/date plus other codes). Your bag will most likely remain in the "transit" container while the aircraft is on the ground.

Only if the bag will change the aircraft as well, you will have the transit point on it.

I flew:
UL / WMKK), Malaysia">KUL-TPE-LAX on MH
GVA-FRA-KWI on KU
Island Hopper from HNL-GUM on CS
RUH-JED-ATH-MXP on SV
PHL-BOS-ZRH on SR
ZRH-MLE-CMB on UL
UL / WMKK), Malaysia">KUL-MLE-CMB on MH
AMS-JNB-CPT on KL
DXB-CCU-SIN-BWN on BI
BWN-BKK-DXB-FRA on BI
and quite some others, all of them had only the DESTINATION on the tag.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok