LUV4JFK
Topic Author

Any Polar Routes For The South Pole?

Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:43 pm

Be easy on me fellow airliners.net members. I'm a new member and I have enjoyed many of the discussions and arguments on this forum. I'm sorry if this topic was discussed before, but nothing came up in the search field. I just wanted to know if there are any airlines that uses a polar route over Antarctica or the South Pole, such as flights from South America to Australia. Many airlines uses a polar route close to the North Pole for flights from North America to Asia and I wanted to know if it's the same for the South Pole. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

USAFHummer

RE: Any Polar Routes For The South Pole?

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:20 pm

No there are not...on special occasions chartered airliners have overflown the South Pole in circumpolar speed record attempts, but this has only happened 3 or 4 times to my knowledge...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Southamerica

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:28 pm

Besides, there isn't too much traffic between South America and Africa or Australia anyways, just a few services and that's all.

As USAFHummer said, there's no flight operating directly over the South Pole, although Flights from Argentina to New Zeland do go deep south though.

Hope this helps and Welcome to A.net !

Regards,

Federico in SOUTHAMERICA

Benjamin

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:30 pm

What is the reason that flights don't fly this routing if it's the fastest via the GCM?

USAFHummer

Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:02 pm

The GCM routing is the shortest, not necessarily the fastest...winds are a major factor, plus the lack of suitable alternative fields in Antarctica would probably be a mitigating factor as well...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ssides

Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:57 pm

Even if you take a look at the GCM, the markets that would be served by a trans-antarctic flight don't stand much of a chance of getting these non-stops. First of all, due to ETOPS restrictions, the aircraft would have to have four (or at least three) engines. Given the downfall of the DC-10 and MD-11, it would have to be a 744, a 340, or a 380 (when it comes online). Those planes are too big and too expensive to operate for routes such as SYD-GRU or MEL-GIG.

The flight that appears to cover the most of Antarctica seems to be PER-EZE or PER-SCL. Don't think those routes will justify a four-engined aircraft anytime soon.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

timz

RE: Polar Routes For The South Pole

Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:42 am

LUV4JFK, you've seen the mapper at http://gc.kls2.com? If you try it with AKL-SCL and AKL-EZE (routes that exist today) you'll notice the great circles don't pass over Antarctica at all. And of course the South America to South Africa routes don't either. It just happens that no likely routes do.

bistro1200

Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:11 am

You mean the PPT-JNB route doesn't exist?  Smile
Measure to the millimeter, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe.

LUV4JFK
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:44 pm

Thanks for the response everyone. It's always good to have a little extra info.

Timz,
Yes I have checked out http://gc.kls2.com. It's a great site and I see what you mean.

LUV4JFK

John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.