Cody
Topic Author

Can Flight Attendants Stand During Take Offs?

Wed Jan 12, 2000 7:43 am

This weekend I flew on an L1011 and there were a few jump seat riding flight attendants on board. Every seat was filled so I noticed they moved to the very back behind the bulkhead seperating the aft lav's from the passenger cabin. I couldn't tell if they were sitting or standing but I did see the FA's on duty sitting at the normal jump seat stations next to the exits. I don't believe there are jump seats behind the bulkhead although I do know there are closets back there. So my question is "are FA's allowed to stand back there or must they be seated? Also, can flight attendants sit in the lowere galley during take-off and landing?

N777UA

RE: Can Flight Attendants Stand During Take Offs?

Wed Jan 12, 2000 7:52 am

Although this only applies to United Airlines, all must be seated on take-off. For UA's lower galley-equipped aircraft (DC10-30), the LDG must be vacated.

WG YQT

Wed Jan 12, 2000 7:53 am

The simple answer is NO! According to the CAR's (Canadian Avation Regulations) FA's must be seated during take-off and landing unless they are standing for the purpose of saving human life (like an overhead bin came open a a heavy object could injure a passenger). As far as I can remember that is outlined under Section 7 of the CARs which is available at www.tc.gc.ca Hope that helps! WG YQT

OPNLguy

Wed Jan 12, 2000 7:59 am

Cody wrote:
-------------------------------
So my question is "are FA's allowed to stand back there or must they be seated? Also, can flight attendants sit in the lowere galley during take-off and landing?
-------------------------------

No, and No.

FAR 121.311 says it all (for U.S.-registered airlines, that is), and can be accessed via this link:

http://www5.landings.com/cgi-bin/get_file?pass=12345&FAR/part_121/section_121.311.html

Hope this helps...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

cricri

Wed Jan 12, 2000 7:29 pm

Definitively no!

Illegal

Thu Jan 13, 2000 12:47 am

It sounds as if the flight was operated illegaly. No airline may operate a flight with more people on board than there are seats available! And that is seats that aren't broken with working seatbelts

I think on the L1011 there are 2 jump seats in the lower galley, I don't know of any rules stopping these from being used during take off and landing, there are several exits from this area, including the primary route through the servie door, straight outside. The DC-10 is different, there are no direct exits leading outside from the lower galley as it's in the cargo hold!